Worth a watch

Jim

Admin

BigMomma

I watched this on his 'You Tube' Vlog channel yesterday evening and he makes some good points. However, personally, I feel that he was not being totally open perhaps about some of the other contributory factors that may have been part of his decision. Yes, he does state he was a solo traveller and that can be lonely, but he did not really go into detail about other pressures that he may have had e.g. He doesn't just get given the loan of vehicles for nothing, he has to write a review on them, this will have it's own pressures associated with it, mainly a time frame for a publication date ? He also writes articles for a Monthly Motorhome Magazine, again, pressures perhaps on time frames for writing and associated publication dates, he also makes his own films, which need editing and publishing, additionally he makes travel Vlog documentaries on his own travels and this again takes up a lot of time, editing and publishing and if you follow his Vlog Chanel he was always constantly on the go, in both the UK and Europe and all of this travelling will, as he stated, eventually take its toll. He also did work, contract stuff on the rail as a train guard from what the video showed.

Now I tend to watch a lot of Travel Vlogs on you tube and they all say how much time is taken up, filming, editing and publishing, not just hours but days !! The other thing with doing that is that the focus become orientated around producing stuff for the 'You Tube' videos, rather than on the 'Personal' aspect of travelling.

So whilst I can appreciate what he is saying, especially about their perhaps being a 'shelf life' to living fulltime in a van, I think that their is a lot to be said for people who do it as couples, and additionally, those that do not either write blogs, or produce Vlogs, but just enjoy their own personal experiences of their travels without feeling the need to share those experiences with the rest of the world.

Just my thoughts :think:

Easyliving

My wife and I have lived full time in our van for getting on for 3 years. We sold out last house years ago and, personally, I love the full time life.

At one time I subscribed to loads of YouTube motorhome channels, must have been about 25 of them. I was spending hours every week keeping up with developments so I had a good clear out. Goodness knows how people find time to make all these videos.

As has been mentioned Andrew Ditton did quite a lot of reviews of ‘borrowed’ vans. There must be some pressure to always do a favourable review.

You only have to look back at old posts on this forum to realise that many old faces have moved on, it’s just something that happens.

Paul

Last edited:

chrisjones18

I'm with Eric and Paul..... just how do people find the time, life is for living...
Eric's posts are just about right and I do follow that one on wordpress

fanofatan

like Paul above, I find myself watching 'van lifers' and follow their travels on YT, the amount of time they spend filming, setting up, doing re takes, cutting, editing & travelling must take it's toll...and for me spoil a lot of the enjoyment of life on the road
I believe Andrew had a melt down, probably due to the stress of all of the above
There are a few YT van life channels out there making a living using clickbait titles, flashing bodies, 'how we shower', single female travellers and various other enticements to get their subs up, these channels are run purely to make money

BigMomma

I'm with Eric and Paul..... just how do people find the time, life is for living...
Eric's posts are just about right and I do follow that one on wordpress
Thank you Chris, even I have to be careful that the blog does not become central to the enjoyment of what we do. I enjoy the writing but as we are not yet back 'on the road' fulltime, I have plenty of opportunity to write, edit and publish. I am too much of a dinosaur now to get into the Vlogging, and I couldn't afford all the equipment that these people have, cameras galore, computers, drones, editing software, I just wouldn't have a clue how to operate most of it

I follow just four Vloggers on a regular basis and occasionally skip in and out of other's. I also follow about half a dozen other written blogs.

But I can understand Andrew's dilemma, sometimes though you bring these pressures on yourself and it is a very thin line that you tread between being in control of what and when you publish or 'it' being in control of you

It will be interesting to see how we adapt to being 'on the road' fulltime again, at least we will not be complete 'newbies' to it and we will still be keeping the 'bolt hole' so have an escape from van life for a while when we need/want a break.

vwalan

will you e full timers again ?
i thought you resided in spain and came back as a immigrant to work the summer. ha ha .
only joking .
are you taking the motorhome or the car this winter?
been nice here today rain just about all day but once it got dark the rain stopped .
not hard rain just that cornish mizzle rain.
soon be ferry time.

BigMomma

We were going to come over in the van and spend 2-3 weeks driving down slowly, however, as we have guests coming over who need collecting and returning to the Airport, and it being a bit more complicated with the parking arrangements at Malaga Airport we decided to bring the car. However, we are returning to U.K. for Christmas then coming back to Spain, but we will then return in the van and hopefully get a bit of touring in. I am not sure that we could ever call ourselves true 'fulltimers' as we will keep the bolt hole and use it as and when the opportunities arise. So when are you heading South again ?

vwalan

decided to wait out and see what or if brexit happens .
have thought about maybe flying down to gambia , its nice there.
ex uk country and the folk are very friendly,
big crocodiles in the river but they are friendly as well.
been a few times and loved it.

BigMomma

Gambia eh ! Well you only get one chance in this life so live it whilst you can ;)

As for Brexit, same philosophy as above really, we are planning for the worst, anything above that so much the better :thumb:

chrisjones18

As for Brexit, same philosophy as above really, we are planning for the worst, anything above that so much the better :thumb:
Have you registered a padron in Spain along with the reg at the town hall

Just wondering as our daughter has stopped looking now she has married in Spain and he said he will sort it. (Dual passport)
Will find out after xmas.

BigMomma

The simple answer is No, much like EU citizens in U.K., if you live and work in the Country on a permanent basis then you have to register on the 'padron' as one of the mandatory requirements for 'Residency', but once you have completed all the paperwork you have to have lived in the Country for 5 years before getting granted 'Permanent Residency'. There is a UK ex-military couple who are our neighbours who are just going through that process and have told us what processes they have had to go through. Your daughter's case may be slightly different if she is married to a Spanish National ? But for us, we have not, as yet, taken the decision as to whether we want to live here permanently so, although we own a property, we are still just classed as 'Tourists' and so do not have to register on the 'Padron' or go through the other formalities that we would if we were applying for 'Permanent' residency, other than signing on the register of 'Foreign Nationals' at our local Police station if we remain here longer than 90 days, but that will change anyway, if and when Brexit happens, as we will only be permitted 90 days anyway unless we apply for a Tourist Travel Visa. Retiring here is only one option that we keep an open mind about, but our main focus is on our future retirement travel and we are in no rush to make any decisions as to where we finally settle down, our current situation with the 'bolt hole' does not have to change, even after Brexit, so we are just interested 'observers' on the Brexit stuff right now.

chrisjones18

Eric, I am unsure if you can just use the padron continuously and get all the benefits that comes with it. That's why I asked if you had a idea.
Permanent residence can only be applied for after 5 years,, that used to be 10 years.
Padron gives you health care and Spanish vehicle number plates though.

The general election might sort out Brexit ,so we will wait to see the outcome.
Sally wont go anywhere in Africa, so that's out.

BigMomma

I am not sure that signing on the Padron will provide us with anything as not being a Permanent Resident. We may already be on it as we had to go to the town hall to register for something after we purchased the property, but cannot remember what it was, can only think that it was to do with the annual IBI payments (Council Tax). The benefit to the Council by us being on the Padron is that they get funds from Central Government for each person in their community. Currently, because we are not of retirement age, and have not paid anything into their Social Care we would have to provide proof that we had Private Medical Insurance when applying for Permanent Residency. If your son-in-law is a Spanish National and works, he will be paying into the Social Care system, therefore, your daughter, now his wife will get the same medical benefits. If I was a permanent resident and in receipt of a State Pension, I would get free medical care and Sharon, although not of State Pension age would be entitled, as my wife, to the same cover as me. We have looked at these things when we were considering whether to just retire early and take up Permanent Residency, but that is on the back burner for now. We are quite happy with our current status, it is good to own a property here but after Brexit, the rules will change for new 'Expats', current Expats remain as they are, so it would not make sense financially to come under the Spanish taxation rules, personal tax allowance is way lower and tax is paid at a higher rate than it is in U.K. Better for us to just remain as tourists

vwalan

yes but once out of eu we can go back to feet and inches . pounds and ounces . pints and gallons . pound, shillings and pennies .
plus ban all europe products . or put high tarrifs on those items .
we will be able to buy the same products as many eu things are made in the far east and only assembled in eu then labeled built in eu etc . they are built in other countries as well though.
plus uk will save on old folks pensions not ever increasing if folk leave to live in eu.
looks like there could be lots of gains for us.

vwalan

its nice to go abroad to europe though . just so when we return we can see those green ,green grass of home hills . plus we can see how its so lovely here. the more you visit other countries the nicer england is , well cornwall.
i do keep thinking of doing a trip around uk . but apart from going to catch the ferry in plymouth or portsmouth think i might have only left cornwall once in about ten years . might get to revisit the lincolnshire coast and venture north humberside and yorkshire . might even get into scotland . mind last times i went there it rained alot. was about 55 yrs ago. hee hee. have done blackpool and wales this century.
always take several days to get to portsmouth and visit places i have lived along the way.
but its mebyon kernow for me . although i,m still a white rose person as well.
did visit donny about 12 years ago to see relatives .
have fun , smile,its a lovely autumn day here .

BigMomma

Apart from it being bloody cold in the Winter, I love the UK as well, no particular preferences, each area has it's own attractions whether that be Coast, Inland, Mountains, Lakes and Canals. Have only done some small parts of Europe, and none in others, same with Morocco, so we are looking forward to getting back on the road to do some extending touring, lots to see and do, not sure how much we will achieve but something is far better than nothing ;) It is not just about the travelling either, that is just a means to an end, it is also about the freedom, enjoying the landscapes, experiencing the variety of foods and the cultures. I guess we are both in a different kind of mindset to what we were 6 years ago when we first started this adventure, but it is very nearly time to get back to living 'our dream'. Brexit used to be a disgusting word to us, now we just take the attitude that things outside of our control can change the way you have to do things, but it does not mean that it has to stop you doing those things, same but different

Adverts