Winter sun?

Discussion in 'Under the Awning' started by snail, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

With the introduction of low emission zones being introduced in so many places going round will be a must for most of us. Life is getting more challenging for us old mohomers, hee hee

2. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

yes well just avoid completely them.
    you dont think i would want to pay just to drive through somewhere do you?
    you will be wanting me paying for parking , water ,etc .
    just do a check on which places to avoid on line and then make a list so you miss them.
    its only a game .
    mind we cant let the other side win.
    might be not worth going to some countries if they keep extending the emmissions zones .
    after all its easy to spend time in summer in uk ,in winter lets hope the ferry to maroc does start from falmouth . that will cut the eu out . africa is a great place for adventures .

3. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

I don't fancy maroc, don't know why no plausible reason just don't fancy it

Fatima Saysell likes this.
  4. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

if we do end up with 90days in 180 in eu,then its an option. hard to say where else to travel to and back specially if its winter.
    i do belive thats what we will get . cant really see us getting anymore than the other 100 or so countries that never joined the eu. and getting say the same as andorra or swiss is really not on the cards .
    mind i think we shall get some good flying in deals with other countries that arent into the eu.
    but for now best enjoy what we have .
    was rainy today . and about 9.8c too cold really .
    maroc is ok there is beer and wine etc but about the price of uk. food can be cheap but dont expect uk type food . but i do think prices have gone up since i last went . going by what some have been saying on fun.
    and too many m,homes i think.
    seem to be paying 15 dh for parking where we used to pay 2-3dh if we had to , hee hee not too often for us .

5. Fatima Saysell

Fatima Saysell Well-Known Member

We were thinking of going there for January, but after seeing photos of aires, we decided we were better off where we were at Argelès-sur-Mer, just south of Perpignan. The weather was so cold all over Spain, that there didn't seem to be any point whatsoever to cross over. We just couldn't justify the drive, paying for petrol, tolls, etc. We still got some winter sun, but not as much warmth. We went out for nice meals instead. :thumb:

6. Fatima Saysell

Slow is our second name: when you tow a trailer, speed is a luxury! :rofl:

Merle likes this.
  7. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

Being a bit 'careful' I like to get the best mileage out of every gallon so the rev's stay at 2k maximum (about 55mph) Let's face it there's no point in rushing too much, only gets you there faster

Crikey, I've agreed with Alan for once :think::giggle:

8. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

but come on 55mph is still fast. ask coolla . i only do 40mph on main roads or even one m,way we used.
    fatima ..i do tow a little trailer behind my truck. hee hee.
    in truth it could tow at 70mph easily but i like going slow ,looking around , over hedges in folks gardens .
    stop if the scenery is really nice .
    pull over if a big truck etc want or need to get passed.
    i,m sure too many are rushing around but missing the nice bits .
    spain inland is usually cold and snowy . i know you know that.
    france can be as well or flooded by the rain in france or up the mountains .
    the rain in spain is usually in portugal.
    morocco, rain in november . usually rains xmas day. march /april trade winds come by , with rain and high seas at the coast . sandstorms inland or down below tiznet etc .
    its a hard world . in summer many places can be too hot . or dry.
    i like east germany in summer above cottobus etc ,spreewald area i think its called .
    mind poland and cz are nice as well in summer.

wanderlust51 and Fatima Saysell like this.
  9. Fatima Saysell

The rain in Spain is usually in Galicia, but also the whole north coast, hence the name Costa Verde. The rain started in late November, when we arrived in Bilbao, and continued in Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia. Portugal was dry until 8th December, when Storm Anna arrived. We were at Vila Nova de Cerveira, borderline with Spain, and the mohome rocked like a cradle: early frighteninget. We crossed back into Spain on 10th Dec to Boiro, Rías Baixas, and sun was shining again and almost warm.

vwalan likes this.
  10. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

i have had several really wet autumns in portugal , remember one at tavira when some pallets we were using outside as duck boards floated away. this was down the boat club at quatro aquas. , then another was winter 09/10 we didnt go to morocco saw thought extra 6 weeks in spain extra 6 weeks in portugal.
    when we got to portugal in the end january it rained for 7 weeks almost every day.

as a kid the spanish used to tell us rain in spain is portugal.
    as you know i do like galicia ,asturia and cantarbria to me its the nicest parts of spain . mind always used to be in the sea surfing . not so these days . one of our favourites was playa de vega near ribadsella. used to have xmas dinner at jose,s restaurant . it was great place , but changed now . out side the restaurant was the local kids football ground we parked on it . the local kids had off road buggies mine were off with them most of the time .
    now jose,s as gone . its got all posh and height barriers every where . but in the late 80,s early 90,s was fantastic . not the cleanest sea there as there is a flourite mine inland . but where they tipped the waste from the mine was good for picking up nice crystals , the lads had great fun. we liked rodiles as well another place that as changed . another place was playa meron near arguero used to have a great surfclub there , but it got washed away a few years ago and the old bar on the carpark as well. 15mtr waves not good .
    meron we call dinasaur beach as it had foot prints in the rocks .

11. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

One of the good things about starting to travel later in life like us is that we don't have enough time left to get fed up with seeing the same places time and again ;)
    That plus dimentia means you can't remeber whether you've been there before or not :giggle::giggle:

12. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

dementia is great . you cant remember what you went shopping for ,again.
    dont know where you are when away . but remember being here in 1966 . yes there is a tap over there and a nice bar round the corner your mum and dad used .
    nowhere is like it was .
    i like travelling while i,m still young and childish. if i grow up i might not like it .
    mind i,m going to live for along time , there are still alot of folk out there i havnt annoyed yet. heee heee.
    really its like being at home , we gradually become that funny old man that goes off to africa etc . all the kids want to know where you have been , and can they look in your friends weird truck camper and ask them where they have been.
    my lads still have a dinner granny from when they were at school living at the end of our road , (her husband passed away a couple of years ago) my lads are in their 40,s . but the young kids i,m sure its me and gary next door that are the streets old interesting old men now . gary only got back from morocco last friday i see the kids already knocking his door and wanting to know where he got to.
    mind some might think we are the village idiots . we dont care .
    soon be summer fields full of daffs round here . the gorse is turning into yellow flowers , the primroses in full bloom . its good to be alive . waking up in a morning is the start of a good day.
    what day is it?

13. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  14. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

It seems as though the old rhyme doesn't hold good anymore
    February brings the rain
    March winds
    April showers
    They're all wet now!!

15. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

Think I've muddled two up there, February fill dyke?

16. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

mind when i got back last year every one round here was saying it had been dry for weeks .
    certainly in galicia it had been the driest and warmest spring since records had been taken.
    we went up through spain early as spanish weather reports were saying how good it was up there .
    did go to playa meron and saw the surf club and the old bar had been washed away . but a local told us it was about 4-5 yrs ago. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.5434231,-5.4940608,141m/data=!3m1!1e3
    hope this works that one is now .
    and this should be on street view showing how it used to be .https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.54358,-5.4941091,3a,75y,192.99h,60.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sBQmQ6EuOM8WzdCFq-GIUPA!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=BQmQ6EuOM8WzdCFq-GIUPA&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=115.20954&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656
    seems it worked . but 15mtr waves washed the area .
    one of the local surfers that knew us from before told us what happened . great place though.

17. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

Hi Alan !!
    We left Bob at the start of the week and spent a few days in Moncofa before stopping 4 miles up the road in Nules.All this driving is tiring me out:rofl:.
    It appears the car park at Tor De Sal has been closed down and motorhomes have been moved.I am wondering if it's for good or temporary with the season about to start?

18. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

dont know , bob did tell me its blocked off .
    mind plaja nules where we used to stop changed a few years ago.
    like every where it changes and other places become the new place .
    soon be time to head inland and see spring happening .
    might be nice soon traveling along the south side of the peco,s .
    so much to see inland spain if its warming up.
    google don quixote and follow some of his routes . done a few just for fun .
    worth a go .its sign posted when you get on any of the routes .

19. Merle

Merle Well-Known Member

Back to that rain, Google says a bit different to how I was told which is
    January brings the snow makes our feet and fingers glow
    February brings the rain washes it away again
    March winds and April showers bring forth may flowers

I can't remember any more, can anyone help?

20. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

Yes Alan we have done some don Quixote country.Not sure of the spelling !!.
    But you are right you can't beat inland Spain.Be heading inland and north very soon ourselves.