Winter sun?

vwalan

me and bob are going to santander in november . destination santander end of april.
think we are going to spain /portugal /spain .
might go to Gibraltar/might go to morocco. depends on the weather .
not the whether we do or dont.
i hope you find that useful but i think we may have talked about it a few times .
mind you could have a change and holiday in cornwall.

vwalan

france i think is worse for bikes being knicked or always used to be .
need plenty of chains locks and those u shaped bike locks .
inside is best for them really. but its annoying .
just had a word with bob . we may not do portugal on the way down .
we have this conversation about twice a week.
depends on what weather people say when we land in spain .
might be east coast again .

snowbird

I didnt expect the weather to be so good here on the Black Sea at this time of year, so we will sit it out here until it takes a turn for the worse then head home for a couple of weeks before the drive down to Benidorm end of November sitting it out until the footpaths warm up again in the UK.

vwalan

depends when your leaving . if soon could be nice .
i quite liked driving through francve slowly . but if leaving later then it can be cold wet and trees down all over the place.
i did like perigeaux .park not far from river as you get to the town https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.193286,0.7000236,68m/data=!3m1!1e3
sarlat de caneda , gourdon,park here above or to the right of lake,https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@44.7488962,1.3793451,276m/data=!3m1!1e3
then on to savurdon https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.225731,1.6043237,3a,75y,217.31h,73.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suJjM1sI5s3vmCoYaclfTwg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
find really big fir cones around that area . grandkids love them.
from there on to andorra ,mind on the way there is loads of parking places by rivers etc for another night or two. we used to try to park near andorra but before you start to climb up.
then make it through andorra and head towards martinet on the n260 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3590813,1.6913524,3a,75y,135.1h,73.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfvXA86C02fYn8P9zfjQuNA!2e0!7i1331
stopped there then down to sitges or vilanova i la geltu. always found that good for parking . then hug the coast.
have a good one .

Reactions: sEi

chrisjones18

You could always help us with the big baby sitting in the forest of dean so we can go to the sun:)
have even booked a cheap flight to Gib (£70 for two) return for a week just to see some sun.
it looks like we are stuck in uk for a while......Loving it,,,,,,,,,,
enjoy wherever you go,

BwB

We are certainly going this winter and it will probably be January via France (I've been fortunate not to meet any fallen trees there in the 30 odd years I've been going ;) ) and on to Spain. Undecided from there on, do we hunker down somewhere pleasant for a few months or do we explore a bit? Probably weather dependant but will leave that decision until the time. Every year there are a few more 365'ers to drop in on so options are open at this point.

That's the nice thing about this lark :)

wanderlust51

france i think is worse for bikes being knicked or always used to be .
need plenty of chains locks and those u shaped bike locks .
inside is best for them really. but its annoying .
just had a word with bob . we may not do portugal on the way down .
we have this conversation about twice a week.
depends on what weather people say when we land in spain .
might be east coast again .
Our fault really didn't have a big enough chain only wire strop we got a big chain now learn and get wised up but messed our plans up a bit

hpold

Should have taken the front wheel off only a minuets job and they would not have bothered with it.

wanderlust51

Yes,seen a few with no front wheels,I heard it being lifted of but by the time I got out of the van,in my underpants at 4 am he was 100 yards away looking at me,if only I had an air gun or a catapult

vwalan

the more loops and wrapping around of either chain or wire the better .
another one is actually lock the bike carrier to the bumper if its a strap on bike carrier.
nearly lost the lot years ago on the back of a vw . they cut the straps but didnt see the cable locking it to the bumper so had to drop it all.
luckily i had some spare straps .

wanderlust51

I have a thick chain holding the our only bike now,it's a girls bike but if needs must,my son wouldn't ride it when he came out in May so I am used to riding it,so angry about it,still here hoping to catch the twat we are still here

BigMomma

Given the opportunity and time, thieves will find a way to get through 'most' types of lock, chain, steel cable etc. However, making it more difficult is a good deterrent as thieves want to be 'in and out' as quickly as possible so as not to be seen and identified or get caught in the act. If you have a bicycle carrier fixed to the vehicle and carry two or more bicycles then use several chains and locks at varying heights and positions. Fasten the bicycles to each other and then fasten one to the actual frame of the carrier. Put on a bicycle cover, although this could be cut through it is an extra barrier that has to be removed to get to the 'goods'. If you park in a public place, car park, or even a well occupied 'Aire' then park so as the bicycle rack is in view rather than reversed into a position which offers the thieves some protection from being observed.

Adverts