Will I get bored?

BigMomma

The Cash Cards work pretty well, we use a Caxton FX Euro Card but you can get a multi-currency one as well. Like a UK Bank Debit Card you can use it for most payments, Fuel, LPG, Supermarkets, Restaraunts/Cafes/Bars and of course Cash Withdrawals from ATM's. The added bonus for us is that we also have a Spanish Bank Account and we can use the Caxton Account for making International Payments direct from our UK Bank Account to our Spanish Bank Account :thumb:

Ste

Getting back to your OP. There are ups and downs to this life, as there are in all things. Moving from place to place can be stressful in itself. The constant driving and working out a place to stay, plus an reserve if the first one doesn't turn out to be suitable, can get on top of you. Try to stay over for a day or two after three or four days driving, or stopping for two or three days then moving for two is a much better way. After all time isn't an issue, unless a ferry has to be caught!

We've found quite a few places in novels we ended up at. Many authors use a real place as a story background and they can be interesting. Film locations are a good one too. Though they don't always look the same as the film, thanks to CGI, and set builders!

Music festivals, film festivals, fiestas, sports meetings will make life interesting when moving round. Brown tourist signs lead in many instances to some of the most bizarre days out.

The lack of an itinerary helps funnily enough. being able to just wonder about in an area means you can get beyond the usual touristy things.

When you do get fed up, bored or just think full timing might not be for you, think about your worst day at work, a colleague you couldn't stand, or just being stuck in 4 walls, you'll soon get back to reality! :)

Risky

I get moments of boredom now after always having things to do in my "working" life. I need to keep busy rather than just sit around all day. Don't get me wrong, I can sit for hours and relax whilst looking at the scenery around BUT there is only so much of that I can do. Over the past few years that we've been doing a few months away at a time, hitting new spots or visiting different countries, we've managed to overall enjoy the trips away. The adventure of not knowing what the next town brings, finding our next place to stop for the night and all the other things that go with living in a reasonably small van...all adds to the game.
There's so many things you can get up to along the route. Aggy enjoys charity shops and second hand clothing shops. She is VERY good at finding clothing and material that she can sell on e-bay, or add to our wardrobe if need be. I tinker around with the van, make sure everything is working spot on and all that side.
The other day I was sat relaxing having cut the grass where we are staying at the moment out here in Poland. Whilst sat there I noticed a fly had fallen in a bowl of water and was in the process of having a "bad day"!
I rescued it and watched sort itself out. It methodically went through a drying out process of cleaning itself with its various legs. The head, the body, the wings...all done in a process. Yep, it's a case of just sat there and watched it....because I could. Ten minutes later it flew away, probably into the mouth of one of the many swifts flying around above us...ho hum.
I built a bird box, a bird table and now we can watch the feeding birds. Nothing in the box yet but it's there for whatever may use it.
Having just returned from 10 days driving around the NW of Poland and sorting out a few legals for myself whilst i'm out here, we got back Tuesday, I cut the grass. It appears we have a blooming MOLE in the garden that over the years that we've been coming here i've nurtured into a nice place to spend time.
The little sod has had a great time ruining my hard work so I now have a new job to keep me occupied, mole catcher...i'll get it, I have plenty of time.
I'm also about to seriously get to grips with learning Polish. Despite having been together with my Polish girly I speak very little Polish. So, that'll keep me busy.
We're now basically full-time in the van since July. Having had rooms rented out in my house I have now totally rented the house so effectively we're homeless. The long days and warm weather are great however we're conscious that the weeks are going by and we're not in a position to start heading down towards the sun for winter. That may be an issue.
We have internet here so I can still call home, Facebook or anything else I want BUT I don't really want to spend all day or night sat in front of this.....so what will I do to not get bored??
I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Getting my/your head around taking things slow is not easy if you've always lived at a million MPH....that was me. Fast bikes, lots of ducking and diving, business deals and random things to keep me up to my eyeballs with things to do....FINISHED.
I'm getting quite used to dragging out a job...or writing a load of words on the likes of this forum for anyone that can be arsed to read them.
Okay....that's about it. Got to go shopping....hard life!

vwalan

You'll get the hang of it in time , you just have to persevere . Hee Hee :thumb:
and if not just go for a ride on the motor bike .
we know how to do it .
where you off to this winsum then stan?
gary here as gone off to france for 3 weeks . dont think he is going playing in the sand this year.
we still dont know if we are heading for portugal or just come up that side next year.
its hard making these decisions.
how can you get bored . theirs ants nest to disrupt . flies to watch, even birds , and some dont have feathers .
in spain they dont have blue t--s it seems they have brown t==s.
but soon be winsum.

voyagerstan

Been out today up on the moors through Bovey Tracy on my little ol bike . Win sun probably maroc but flying off for 2 months in sept first , Egypt Israel and Jordan bit of back packing don't you know . Don't see many brown t==s in maroc manly black letter boxes and the blue t--s are mainly up in the frozen north jock country . We've been doing a bit of warden stuff and now I know why camp sites are defo not for us yuk . Help LET ME OUT !!!!!! :banghead: (Patience) I haven't got any , Grrrrrr only 2more weeks .

vwalan

i worked on one in 76 it was enough to put me off . plus going back emptying septics and seeing how they acted again no thanks .
i had a nice ride earlier as well we do live in a nice area .
shame its so wet n cold in winter .
is it wise israel on your passport are you going to add a page .
i almost thought i was going to france on my big one this summer but dropped it two weeks ago . its getting too heavy so decided better not add panniers and extra weight .
as it is looks like i,m off up north next week. funeral. not mine i hope .
give maroc my regards . might get back there . never know might be this winter if eu is wet and cold .

fanofatan

Been out today up on the moors through Bovey Tracy on my little ol bike . Win sun probably maroc but flying off for 2 months in sept first , Egypt Israel and Jordan bit of back packing don't you know . Don't see many brown t==s in maroc manly black letter boxes and the blue t--s are mainly up in the frozen north jock country . We've been doing a bit of warden stuff and now I know why camp sites are defo not for us yuk . Help LET ME OUT !!!!!! :banghead: (Patience) I haven't got any , Grrrrrr only 2more weeks .
so you didn't like the warden duties, was it just the WC cleaning or the whole package of looking after the site....and the 'inmates' lol

hpold

Just put the kettle on and have a cup of yorkshire tea . Solves all problems.:clap:

voyagerstan

Don't do any bog cleaning , it's all chavs and idiot that get to you . Our part of the site has 60 serviced hard standing pitches and 118 grass pitches mostly tent and caravan people who are a different breed . We get free pitch electric and laundry plus wages which makes it ok I suppose . Israel don't stamp passport any more they stamp separate immigration card so it's not a problem , oy vay . ✈ Stan

Shrimp

Coming to the end of our 6th year in the MH, there are times when I could get bored-too wet/cold to go out.
I string beads/shells/buttons for necklaces/bracelets when I get fed up with them I remake them.
I sew-anything.
I taught myself Tatting-old form of a type of lace- & Stumpwork, via the Internet.
I read, photograph, draw/paint.
Play games on my iPad.
I walk-the dog.
Live is never dull specially with all those new places to see!

AlaskaGuy

The Cash Cards work pretty well, we use a Caxton FX Euro Card but you can get a multi-currency one as well. Like a UK Bank Debit Card you can use it for most payments, Fuel, LPG, Supermarkets, Restaraunts/Cafes/Bars and of course Cash Withdrawals from ATM's. The added bonus for us is that we also have a Spanish Bank Account and we can use the Caxton Account for making International Payments direct from our UK Bank Account to our Spanish Bank Account :thumb:
Eric, for using Caxton card for currency transfer, how are the exchange rates? And are there limits? I have a Sainsbury's Bank Currency Passport Mastercard, and was considering your advice.

coolasluck

I use a visa card set up to be paid off by direct debit every month. You also get the commercial rate not tourist and use the clarity card from Halifax. We do have the Caxton card but we don't use it.

coolasluck

Pouring it down with rain here today.It's hard to believe but the next 4 days are set to be lovely.Just doing a bit of shopping.We are going to stay in the car park until this deluge stops or slows right down.That's the beauty of this lifestyle you don't have to be driving in this kind of rain lol

sundowners

That area like north Portugal have to have rain to be so lush and beautiful ----------it is nice to not have rain --------deserts have a different type of beauty !!!!
We use Nationwide flex plus to get bank rate exchange----------- debit card to get mony from ATM----------credit card to purchase anything with no charges --------always take local currency without exchange to sterling to get best rate

It's hissing it down in our part of UK this morning so don't feel too depressed!!!!!!!!

snail

Was raining now drying up in Gloucester! Caxton cards work for us, like being able to top up by text, don't need to rely on finding WiFi?

BigMomma

Eric, for using Caxton card for currency transfer, how are the exchange rates? And are there limits? I have a Sainsbury's Bank Currency Passport Mastercard, and was considering your advice.
We have not as yet used it to transfer money directly from our Caxton Card into our Spanish Bank Account. I believe that you get 'less' doing it this way and we would only use it for direct transfers if we were in U.K. and needed to transfer money to meet an unexpected payment from our Spanish account. I also believe that on the initial first transfer you are restricted to a maximum transfer of £20k !! (Nice if I had that to transfer in the first place). We just tend to top up our Card to the max before we leave UK (€7,500) then that provides us with enough to withdraw when we are in Spain, top up our Spanish account to meet our Annual costs and use the remainder as our holiday spending money for 4 months. We could, if needed, top the Card up at any point, especially if we see the rate go up, but have never had the need to do this yet. I am not recommending Caxton as the best there is as there are numerous ways of doing it, however, we find Caxton so easy to use for everyday use whilst in Spain, just the same as using our U.K. Debit cards and so easy to top up, check statements etc all on-line.

Adverts