Will I get bored?

vwalan

just remember many blogs are written on a first trip . and most do many things wrong ,make loads of mistakes . a few years later they dont do hardly anything they did on the first one . it is a steep learning curve .
plus most of the travel books only tell you about the tourist places . rough guide /lonely planet we all have them but its the bits inbetween that are far better but they dont go there . in fact i think they copy each others routes and reword them .
forget all the books go try have an adventure . you have to do it .

vwalan

yes i think i heard you did that. hee hee .
have you booked a ferry yet.

EdonTour

No, I am away in the next few days for a month, about the North of England. On my return I will key back into the work curse and plan my dates :) Then it will be booking time :)

vwalan

four letter words like that arent allowed on here (work)

vwalan

mind quitting isnt always good . but many do find summer work in uk is ok then off in winter . every thing is dependant on what you do. i managed it for years,quite enjoyed it .
it was funny coming back to the job as nothing much had changed and i was happy having been away . later i was happy knowing i would be going away again and it made me smile .
i still like going and coming . uk is ok and abroad is ok.
i have found the ones that stay abroad kind of lose contact with things here , i also found many arent as happy abroad as they thought they might be .
going and coming seems to give best of both worlds .
many use tablets .
me i struggle with tablets or patches .
but we could drink to you winning . ha ha .

EdonTour

All part of the adventure of discovery. I think I know what i want, at the moment but all things subject to change. its all good fun :)

fanofatan

just remember many blogs are written on a first trip . and most do many things wrong ,make loads of mistakes . a few years later they dont do hardly anything they did on the first one . it is a steep learning curve .
plus most of the travel books only tell you about the tourist places . rough guide /lonely planet we all have them but its the bits inbetween that are far better but they dont go there . in fact i think they copy each others routes and reword them .
forget all the books go try have an adventure . you have to do it .
So Alan you get off the ferry in Santander?
do you have a route planned out after you've filled up with Fuel, booze and food from Lidl lol
or just a destination to head towards, finding new or old stop overs along the way
what do you do about money, do you use these multi currency Euro top up cards, or just use a hole in wall
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/euros/

being away all winter, do you tend to stay in the same place or move around every day

all ways interesting to hear how the seasoned campaigners go about their adventures

vwalan

dont fill with food in spain its too expensive . take as much as you can from uk.
torrelavaga first stop by sierra panda railway station handy park up and close to all supermarketrs . . then might go along the coast west then round galicia into portugal.
but might drop to canyon de los lobos , vulture watching . then to almenara and down to lagoon gallocanta to see the cranes arriving or just being there .
we have done east coast for last few years but are thinking portugal then up the west side of madrid visiting new and old places . have friends to visit in either route .
might go morocco if weather is too wet etc .
might travel 1-2 miles a day might travel 1-200 miles who knows .
our plan is there is no plan . make it up as you go along .
inland spain is full of nice places but in winter they can be snowy or flooded .
in spring its fantastic .
when i was a kid my dad used to say look at a map. there are 5 roads across spain . north to south . lets see if we can find 50.
i,m still looking 55 years later.
mind the roads we took then have been chopped up and we cant follow many of the old roads .
i still have the first map of spain i bought in 1974 we do try following some of the old roads .
having crossed spain several times in summer on m,bikes i can say its too hot .
but spring autumn is great.
we do spend a few weeks in some areas but usually a weeks enough.
never use prison /camp sites but have tried them in the past last one in spain was 2009 ,
do use some in morocco just because we have known the owners for years and they were cheap. but later years we didnt use as many as prices rose and some closed . dont like the new ones like sardine tin sites . very often french owned .
use banks . dont use cards plus if you use hole in walls and it chews them you could be stuck. known it happen . better to go in and get cash.
plus in many places now away from tourist areas banks dont want pounds it costs them to clear them . go in and you can get a good rate in person .

fanofatan

all that info just comes flooding out, you have a good couple of books in that head of yours lol

with these top up cards you, top up online, say 100 euros at a time, which means if someone steals or you loose the card they can only spend what's left on it, a bit safer maybe and saves you looking for a bank, you just need wifi
going into the bank suits some and as you say maybe you can negotiate a better deal

sundowners

all that info just comes flooding out, you have a good couple of books in that head of yours lol

with these top up cards you, top up online, say 100 euros at a time, which means if someone steals or you loose the card they can only spend what's left on it, a bit safer maybe and saves you looking for a bank, you just need wifi
going into the bank suits some and as you say maybe you can negotiate a better deal

A few years ago we tried using £ and changing up in banks-- BAD MOVE --VERY hard to change and got LESS than € per £--------we now take a few € and a Nationwide credit card it pays a superior ex rate and is accepted almost anywhere-------our Nationwide account pays off the credit card every month, we don't have to do anything.---------The two biggest expenses are fuel and food --they always accept our card.

AlaskaGuy

A few years ago we tried using £ and changing up in banks-- BAD MOVE --VERY hard to change and got LESS than € per £--------we now take a few € and a Nationwide credit card it pays a superior ex rate and is accepted almost anywhere-------our Nationwide account pays off the credit card every month, we don't have to do anything.---------The two biggest expenses are fuel and food --they always accept our card.
Just got back from a 10 day jaunt in France via the David Gilmour concert in Arc et Senans. Also went to Auvergne, Puy de Dome and on into south Creuse in the Limousin region. Used Visa card for fuel and food, and had a few Euros...which I bought online at €1.30/£ literally minutes before the Brexit vote went awry.

vwalan

use a card at a bank counter but not in the hole in the wall.
best not use card elsewhere as you cant trust some places . plus if you are away along time might not be able to stop any funny going ons .
if you should lose a card it can get very awkward as most wont send a card abroad .
last few years have met many that couldnt exchange pounds for euro,s abroad. like i said tourist areas you can but very often they dont give good rates .
last year only spent 478 quid on fuel and 282 quid on food inc beer and wine .
in 24 weeks wasnt too bad.

fanofatan

the top up cards was just an idea I saw and thought, hey that could be a good idea, top it up on line from anywhere 100 euro at a time, so if you loose the card the max you'll be scammed or loose is what you've topped up ( I think I read about these on 'Our Tour site')
as for carrying cash and changing that in banks or exchanges that went out with the arc years ago, carrying or having cash stashed in your MH is asking for trouble IMO, and you just don't need to do it nowadays

Last year only spent 478 quid on fuel and 282 quid on food inc beer and wine .
in 24 weeks wasnt too bad.

£1.67 a day on food and drink, WOW, you either don't drink much or are built like a pencil, that's not a lot

wanderlust51

We use a Fairfx card and apart from a few garages in France it works fine,so this year we used a Tesco MasterCard for fuel and the prepaid for everything else,top up online easy,but I hardly ever use cash at home and Tesco points pay my crossing,earned enough for four this year

vwalan

i took about 200 quids worth of tinned and dried food from uk. remember beer is less than 50p a litre and same for a litre of wine . i eat very well .
actually just watched eat more for less on tv . i would like them to come here and see if they could even save me a quid a week. ha ha . bet they cant .
i take instant coffee from uk as i dont like the thick horrible continental stuff . often eat rice thats cheaper here . nice danish bacon and gammon joints from here . good for roast joints or boiled , or sliced as gammon steaks .
i am a butcher and also trained as a chef so cooking is a past time .
i dont change cash in the banks . use your card but inside not in a hole in the wall.

hpold

Have you booked the ferry yet alan. You also need to renew your ferry club membership.:thumb:;)
Heading south end of august just for two weeks as mrs not too good .

fanofatan

We use a Fairfx card and apart from a few garages in France it works fine,so this year we used a Tesco MasterCard for fuel and the prepaid for everything else,top up online easy,but I hardly ever use cash at home and Tesco points pay my crossing,earned enough for four this year
Tesco points paid for your crossings, man that's good, just had a look at Tesco, you get 3 or 4 times your clubcard value when you use the euro tunnel or ferries
I don't even have a points card, I thought they were rubbish and not worth having, just shows what I know lol

Adverts