Wild camping in Cheshire

Marilyn

Whereabouts in Cheshire, Donna? I live kind of in the middle about 7 miles from Chester and used to live on the Shropshire/Cheshire border so might be able to help with the bits of Cheshire that are familiar to me.

Edit to add: are you looking for rural lay-by type spots or would friendly pubs be included?

Marilyn

Argh! Don't know the Middlewich area at all, sorry. Most of the spots I know of are probably a bit too far away to be of any use to you - at least 25 miles away on the Shropshire border around Whitchurch and Malpas where I used to live.

However, there are a few pubs I know of round here (Kelsall, about 15 miles from Middlewich) which are happy for you to use their car park as long as you buy a meal or at least a few drinks. There are a few CL/CS sites nearby too. Not much opportunity for wilding (it's a bit posh and nosey-parkery round here) but one or two places you could try.

If you fancy a day or two shopping in Chester, the Little Roodee car park is good - they allow overnighters and lock the gates at around dusk so there won't be any boy racers in the middle of the night :)

Delamere Forest used to be good but they now seem to have height barriers on all the car parks - haven't checked for sure on all of them but the ones we pass regularly do.

Will keep my eyes open when we're out and about and see if I can spot any potentially good overnight places for you.

Do you like folk/traditional music? On the second Tuesday of every month there is an acoustic music night at The Farmer's Arms in Kelsall when a group of friends and I get together to play English, Irish, French, American whatever folk music and sing a few songs. It's a nice, informal friendly atmosphere and the pub will let you stay on the car park overnight if you ask. If you enjoy that kind of music, Peter and I go to several other similar folk nights a little bit further away that would be good overnight stops, we go to at least two a month in our 'van.

Will put my thinking cap on!

DonnaG

It doesn't have to be Middlewich itself as when we are here, we can park ouside my son's house. If you can let me know which pubs in Kelsall, that'd be handy. We have to go to Chester at least once while we're here, so will check out the Roodee carpark, we'd read about that one. It would be nice to hear your singsong so I'll let you know on that, as we may well be there :)

Thanks

coolasluck

Donna,why not just seek out street parking,in the right areas they can be nice and quiet.
The nearest one i can find is a car park in Northwich,which would be nearest to you.

vwalan

hi .i dont know of any but watch out for the cat. think they have a special breed there.hee hee

Marilyn

hi .i dont know of any but watch out for the cat. think they have a special breed there.hee hee
Yes we do and I've got two of them! Feral Cheshire Cats that adopted us and yes, they do disappear when it suits them :D

Stopovers:
The Farmer's Arms in Kelsall is happy to have MH overnight in the car park as long as you buy a meal or at least a couple of drinks. The car park does have a slight slope so you would need levelling blocks for a comfortable night - if you park at the top end furthest from the pub they would prefer that, especially with a large MH and it might be a bit flatter up there. Chester Road, Kelsall CW6 OSJ tel. 01829 751784

The Lord Binning in the centre of Kelsall might allow overnighting (the previous landlords did but I'm not sure about the current ones); however, if you go through the pub car park, which is smallish, there is a village owned car park behind it and I think you would be fine there overnight as long as you disappeared in the morning before the dog walkers and mums with toddlers arrived (they park in the village car park to get access to the childrens' playground and dog walking paths). Chester Road, Kelsall, CW6 ORS tel. 01829 751441

The Royal Oak in Kelsall allows MHs to stay overnight, again providing you buy a meal or a few drinks. Chester Road, CW6 ORR tel 01829 751208

The little village where I live, Willington just outside Kelsall, has a couple of parking bays on the village green in Chapel Lane but they are next to houses so you would need to disappear in the morning sharpish before any nosey parkers take the huff!! There are lovely walks from the green up Chapel Lane and then either right up Roughlow (steep hill but leads up to the Sandstone Trail) or left along Gooseberry Lane to the part of the village known as 'Little Switzerland' - you will understand why, very pretty. The village green might be very useful if you were stuck for somewhere one night and just wanted somewhere to sleep and be gone early next morning. My driveway is very steep and the entrance to it is very narrow with high walls either side - we only just manage to get our short MH in so I don't think it would be possible with an 8m 'van, otherwise you would be welcome to stay chez nous. Nothing to stop you parking on the green and calling in here for a cuppa though ;)

Got to dash off now but will post again with some more ideas.

vwalan

look after the cats ,do they smile alot ?
thats what they are famous for .

Marilyn

Yes, our two cats smile (at least I think that's what they're doing :)) and one of them insists on being picked up first thing in the morning and then gives lots and lots of kisses. A know-it-all friend said the cat is scent marking but I prefer to think they are kisses ;)

Donna - we're going to investigate another couple of potential spots for you and I'll post back with the results.

DonnaG

We stayed overnight at Little Roodee earlier this week... managed to park in a long car bay so was able to just pay the car price... £1.50 for the evening, free overnight and £5.90 for all the following day (you'd have to pay more in the lorry bays)... apart from one kid tapping once on the window and calling "hello!", it was surprisingly quiet and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Chester. (Added bonus, the DVLA were very efficient the following day and sorted all our bits and pieces with a smile - result!) :D

Adverts