Wild Camping Cornwall

TomThumb

Don't know about England, 'tis a bit of an insult to us Cornishmen.

England starts on the other bank, far side of the Tamar River. I'll have no England in Cornwall thank you very much indeed.

However...

If you are planning on coming to the country of Cornwall, UK and you want to know of loads of places where you can park up for the night free of charge completely safely and with no hassle guaranteed at all, do feel welcome to post below and I'll share a large list of locations with you.

Invariably with good access, off road, many with stunning views over the Atlantic so you can enjoy dinner with your partner and enjoy a good bottle of wine, music etc knowing you're not disturbing another soul.

I know Cornwall like the back of my hand, especially west Cornwall. And have spent months searching out the hidden little spots for stealth camping on the quiet in the most beautiful locations.

If you're coming to Cornwall motor homing and want advice where to stop for the night, just ask.

There are no problems, only solutions - commit random acts of kindness.

Mark Andrews

TomThumb

Have my email, when you're closer to the time you want to travel to this part of the world, feel free to make contact and I'll point you in the right direction.

SmokingHotCopy@gmail.com (Motorhome365 in the email subject title so I know it's someone from this forum).

In total, I think I must know at least 50 locations as I've stayed at all of them myself. They range from small clifftop free car parks overlooking Mounts Bay to nature reserves on Goonhilly Downs to National Trust car parks a mile or two away from Land's End to little spots tucked away in the middle of nowhere beside the Helford River.

For example, if you are a NT member you can park (okay you're not supposed to but sometimes they turn a blind eye) at places like Kynance Cove car park. I know the old Cornish boy there, he's as good as gold and a better location you couldn't hope to find. Total peace and quiet. Level. Clean toilets on hand and...

...this for a view just 75yds (less than 1 minute walk away)...

snail

Hi Tom Thumb, very interested in your post as will be spending summer in west country from May to October ish, so will contact you nearer the time, if thats ok

snail

BigMomma

Is this too true to be believed, another inhabitant of Cornwall BUT with really practical information and not trying to get us all to buy Arctics, or is it just his initial saleman's type lure :eek::rofl::D Not Alan's bruvver is it :D

vwalan

no my brother had a vw. but dont worry thought he was coming over for a coffee today .tt i mean . soon convert him to a truck , what with mine, dunroaming,s . and alan with the iveco comi ng back down here . cant think what he called himself now . . my mate bob will be here in april and gary next door will be home . be truck city . cant understand why you lot dont get trucks .

vwalan

buses and trucks drive all over cornwall. i used to deliver to all the little villages and camp sites .
mind even an ldv is too big for some places right down by the sea .
thats why i have a bongo . when i used a vw they were really good to get places. but sometimes you just park abit awayu and take the push bike or m,bike. this is where an artic comes in . i shall be driving around alot of small places next week showing dunroaming the nice places . we shall just take my truck. remember its only the size of a car . only looks big on the pics. shant take the trailer .
when i was driving sewage tankers we really did go down some narrow places . . also drove for securicor so they delivered into just about every where.

coolasluck

In truth these trucks(not arctics!) do sound appealing but for the mileage you would get out of these beasts to a mile.Also you would want a conversion that has been done 100 percent and with comfort in cold climates a must.
The trick is to get one that has been converted properly but not at an RS kind of price.

vwalan

trucks are very easy to use 50mm insulation. use it in walls and ceiling. they are square . makes fitting out easy. coola you have seen mine and bobs .both different but could be done to suit you. alan that was here with the iveco had a 16 ft box on his that worked out very well . if i was going rigid . i would go for a mitzy or an isuzu 16ft box 7ft 6ins wide. height cant tell you off top of hy head but enough to get a monkey /dax bike in the rear garage similer to mine . or bobs with an extra seat arrangement at the table . that could also convert to a second double bed if you need it for guests . crawl through to front maybe . or not. using a jap truck they arent so high . you should look around there are a few about these days . cheap compared to vans . costs about 7 grand to convert , could be less not really much more . windows are the most expensive bit . either seitz or a copy of them is best. think you may find even an 18ft ok. but best not exceed 7ft 6 wide . makes country lanes and villages easy.
my trailer is on 14 inch wheels so its low. 16inch for trucks so i reckon on about 3,3 mtr high is about right maybe a bit less depends whats around .
even a curtainside truck is ideal . steel or wooden frame . plastic coated steel sheets looks lovely . 50mm cellotex thin ply on inside . duraflake inside finish or wall paper . you know it makes sense.
nice area for solar. loads battery space . big dieseltanks water etc . get about 16-18 possibly a little bit more to gallon.
there is no trick . its easy .less money spent . even new trucks come cheap . might get a new truck and box for 30 grand . try ebay there as been some mitsubishi canters new on there.

coolasluck

Yes i always do have a look on the old e-bay i drive the wife to destraction sometimes also have a gander at the german mobile.de and think that i may end up buying from germany and importing.I did like the look of that truck that was on here some time back,cant remember his name but he was going to get it re-upholstered.That looked a nice truck.There was a truck down here some time ago like that ,that was up for sale,dont know what the conversion was like ,but it does make me think.

vwalan

try ebay 280774550374... might be a bit high . but got a lift on the back keep top part shut by bed . .got aside door already . think its about 16ft .going on the w,base. could be all done for twenty. you know someone that would help you . nice chap lives not too far from you and tom thumb.

coolasluck

hee hee

coolasluck

The chaps truck i like was Nugget,what is it called?

vwalan

mind i might look at one abit older with out the electrics on the diesel side.
just a thought google k s international. look at parts there .you may find a surprise.
mine is a fe649. they arent that expensive. gives you an idea . look at clutch . brakes etc .

vwalan

yes nugget . he is coming back down in march . he works with bob in fort william. on taxis . we did his interior here .and repanelled the outside . fitted windows .etc . he had regal furnishings do the seats and covers on his way up . nice blue covers . he was going to put pics on here dont think he as yet. his was the 16 ft box.

Adverts