Which type of m/h is best for full timing

supermario

For 2 people and 2 dogs. I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string, but I've done a bit of research over the last couple of years and it seems A-class m/h are the most popular amongst this brave breed. I'm not up to building or converting one myself, lets get that clear, unless you want to see something outrageous that would probably fall apart long before it left blighty, and be forever on youtube.

I must admit I like the sound of the Hymers out there, especially the older ones (budget restraints here). To me things like the double flooring to keep the grey water from freezing, strike me as touches thought out by people that really know what they're doing, rather than worrying about the décor of the seats and curtains. Also the lowering overcab bed is unique and the cab just looks so damn comfortable to drive around Europe in. The fact that they look almost unique, like a cross between a mobile library van and a m/h helps too. Almost a cult vehicle...

Tell me Hymer owners, what should I be wary of in older models? Many thanks in advance.

adonisito

Well, we full time in our B584, its built well, and is solid, I sometimes think it's the Volvo of the van world. Had a leak recently but it turned out to be a lifted awning screw so nothing to do with Hymer and easy for me to fix.It doesn't have huge storage but its the 2.8 so I tow a trailer no problem. Our windscreen cracked in Spain so make sure you have adequate cover, in our case the insurers paid out £1700 with no trouble, the 584 has an end kitchen so we have decent living space for a van. BTW one of the best accessories you can buy is a telescopic ladder, really useful .
But it is all 'how long is a bit of string ' you're right.

vwalan

Attachments

hpold

Hi I sold our 548 and got the 600 a bit longer which sleeps six. I got this earrlier this yar as it would be easier for the mrs to move round in but as you know she is now in a care home . I did modify it by taking out the fold down bed this gave more head room for the driver and passenger. the rear was made into a permanent double bed which she found easy to use.The eating area which had two bench seats was made into and L form which was easy to use and eliminated another make up double bed . The kitchen was left where it is . Total cost was double mattress £100 from Ikea the roll up type new elec toilet £200 curtains from indian shop which opens one week gone the next two double curtains £10 this was to close off the driver and pax at night and windscreen and side windows shortening was done by one lady in Asda free of charge as they new that the mrs was not well this was free of charge ,so the total came to £310 . This made it all larger and woud be ideal for two and a dog . Its built on an alko chassis and has blow air heating, hot and cold water , 4 burner hob, oven, micrw wave ( threw that out) fridge freezer and has stacks of storage as there are top units all arround the double bed and in the eating area and kitchen storage units . It also has power steering which is hard to find on the older modles . some thing like this would be ideal. Hope it helps . It is the same shape as my old van in the picture but a good meter and a bit longer .

hpold

The only thing to worry about on the 584 is to check in the engine compartment that the metal angle bits are not rusted both on the left and right hand sides near the indicators about two foot back . Earthing points and that the battery indicator and light switch and exhaust fan work in the kitchen work. Other wise they can be fixed with a hammer and screw dirver in the middle of the desert. Make sure the cam belt has been changer if not change it, oil and filter change every 7500 miles. If you use Asda diesel change the fuel filter and there is a lotof muck in their diesel .

coolasluck

It's s shame you can't do a conversion.
Been living on the road in our coach off grid for over 2.5 years now and no regrets. It's warmer and the set up is how I designed it with the bonus that I know where everything is should it go wrong. We had a hymer 544 and as much as it gave us good memories it's not a patch on our coach. It took me a good year looking at motorhomes and possible setups before realising that a self build was the way to go.You need to consider payload and your perfect dimensions for you and your family. Getting it right had been key for me in getting out of some sticky situations!!:swear::tmi:. If I was going down the road of plastic I would probably be looking for an older hymer probably pre 98.

Shrimp

We FT in a Hymer B584, 2001, 2.8, have been doing so now for 7 years.
Two adults, one small dog, no bikes.
We tow a car on an A frame when in UK, don't bother with it abroad.
The drop down fed is comfy as long as you're not over 6ft, and leaves plenty of van space when down.
The seating is comfortable, hubby finds it very comfy to drive (ours is a lefty)
We had the fixed table 'chopped' so that it hinges down out of the way when you don't need it!
The washroom is good with a self contained shower with bi-fold door not curtains, ours doubles as a boot & wet coat room when needed, towels hang in there too!
We love our Hymer, just wish it had another metre in length!

John and Joan

We had a 1992 Hymer S700 and did 8 years of full timing including down to minus 15c. Not double floored but all pipework is internal as is the fresh water tank. The heating ducting follows the line of the pipework so no problems there. The only problem we had was the outlet to the waste tank freezing on the Med Coast of France (very cold winter) We could still use the tank no problem. We had been to Italy to get the under slung generator fixed and encountered knee deep snow. As we had other associated electrical problems, we returned to the UK and the tank outlet only thawed when we got back to Birmingham.

supermario

Interesting stuff, never thought about going to Brum to thaw out! Lots of good tips and recommendations, thanks.

Pinball Wizard

Another 584 enthusiast here!
Not a lot I can add.
Without the trailer, I can fit in a normal supermarket car park space, reversing in, with the overhang over the grass.
I would like a rear fixed bed, now I am older, getting in and out of the bed, especially when I have company is a nuisance.
I would love a fifth wheeler like Alan’s with a garage for my motorbike’s but I will stick with what I have, especially as the cam belt and water pump etc has been recently replaced.

Pinball Wizard

Incidentally I looked at a fixed end bed Hymer about a year ago. B694.
He had dogs. He installed a wire guard on the inside door of the garage, turning under the bed into the dogs kennel, and had a accesss for the dogs into the motorhome, through a door he had cut in the bedbase.

vwalan

Another 584 enthusiast here!
Not a lot I can add.
Without the trailer, I can fit in a normal supermarket car park space, reversing in, with the overhang over the grass.
I would like a rear fixed bed, now I am older, getting in and out of the bed, especially when I have company is a nuisance.
I would love a fifth wheeler like Alan’s with a garage for my motorbike’s but I will stick with what I have, especially as the cam belt and water pump etc has been recently replaced.
i only carry dax and monkey bikes . can get two in the rear. used to be three but i shortened the garage and keep the twintub under the bed in the front bit . accessed from the living area .
my dax is a chinese version . 90cc but seems very good . just changed the chain and sprockets and the silencer , not bad after 16 yrs use.
i often think carrying my 250cc suzuki would be nice but its too tall.
my neighbour took it one year . he used it i did a bit . but really the 90cc one does the trick.
its like being a kid again . mind didnt have one as a kid but wanted one.
only had my trailer 17yrs now . but did go to buy it 5 years before that.
it got sold as i was on my way to see it . but it came up for sale again close to home and hadnt been used for 5 years just dry stored so i bought it and the vw that went with it . built the garage with heights john speed used when building his merc camper in his book ...travel vans....
worth reading if you get chance . i think its the best book ever written for m,homers etc .

Pinball Wizard

My downfall to this lifestyle is my love of motorbikes.
I keep looking at toy haulers, funnily enough there was one on eBay recently, that would do the job, for sale in Mamby, if I remember correctly at that dealership there.
I don’t know how to add the eBay link.
I will keep my eye out for that book, it’s on Amazon, so I might treat myself for Christmas.
Years ago, I took on a mobile library conversion that took me ages and I didn’t know enough!
Certainly not about insulation, so I am reluctant to do another.

vwalan

the secret is dont go too big with them . and if you can have a 3,500kg gvw trailer. mine was 5 ton but i voluntary lower it to 3,500kg . then the trailer doesnt need motting .
as a toy hauler they are goods trailers /living vans . not caravans .
even better if its articulated and puts over 20%of the trailer weight on the tow truck.
most fifth wheelers arent articulated under construction and use specs .

Pinball Wizard

I don’t know enough that’s my problem!
Although I do follow your advice on different threads on the benefits of your set up.
Indeed that one in the picture is too big.
Too wide and too long, great if you were going nowhere and fulltime on a site.

coolasluck

Hi Alan. Which way did Bob turn ? Is he on the Mediterranean? Might send him a text..

Adverts