What's the size of your battery bank?

elfish

I had a search earlier and thought, after being given a nudge, I'd ask on here as well...

I know it's been asked before in the past (which is why I searched the forum earlier), but:

Question: What's your size of battery bank?

I'm thinking of getting more (even though i've the lithium equivalent of 2x130's). I'm not sure whether i'm being greedy or sensible. I wildcamp most of the time and have 330W of solar. It's fine in the summer, but i'm thinking winter in the UK. I watch loads of telly and use my macbook a lot (student) and my course involves watching lots of dvd's and movies at the moment and prefer to use the DVD player on my telly.

During my search through the forum's i saw someone who had 460's worth of battery, which made me feel I'm not the only one thinking about it.

PS: I've had my lithium batt for a few years now and love it! I have the payload, the space and the money for another one. :)

coolasluck

Hi elfish, we have 675 amps of batteries to 720 watts of solar. Being in Spain or Portugal helps between nov and Feb.Never had a problem with power so far in 4 years.

vwalan

answered on other post. but 6x80wt panels .
2x about 150amp batteries and 2x110amp batteries .
the 110amp are same as the truck batteries so could be spare truck bats in emergency.

vwalan

in truth get as many watts solar as you can and get lots batteries , and a good inverter .
these days pure sin wave is the way as newer leccy things are particular . 18 yrs ago items didnt mind non sine wave ones but these days modern electrical things are fussy.
mind i use gas lighting i like it best .
get light , heat and keeps mozzies at bay.
coolla doesnt like the smell of them but others dont complain.
but you cant beat having a freezer if in the desert . make lolly pops or even your own ice cream .
its like being on lost in space freezers , washing machines etc all being powered by the sun.
dont know where the doctor is as i,m still looking for the robinsons daughter. ha ha .

elfish

Permission to go nuts with the battery bank. I like it! :)

I'm with you on the pure sine inverter. Got one of those. It went kaput & roadpro are sorting me out on Thursday. ;-)

vwalan

i use ring automotive for inverters .
many of the others are a bit of a dear do.
bit like tv,s etc shop around there are good ones about.

elfish

My previous post wasn't very clear....

My inverter went 'poof!' (within warranty) & roadpro are replacing it on Thursday.

:)

vwalan

thats good .
mind it was ok what you posted.
i used to use a 2kw inverter years ago but these days use a 1kw pure and a 1kw not pure .
leccy drills etc dont mind the non pure sin wave.
i dont use micro wave or large leccy items .
twintub washing machine and fridge freezer not high wattage .
do have a big diesel genny just incase i need power to do welding etc .
never know when away from it all thats when things break .

elfish

There was a Facebook group discussion recently on querky usb gadgets. Someone postend a usb soldering iron.

I can't see how the 12v would work.

When I downsized, I kept my £29.99 soldering iron from maplins. Pleased i kept it now that maplins are no more. T'was my favourite piece of kit.

coolasluck

1000 watt pure sine inverter is all that's needed and most things can be found to run on it from toasters to hairdryers. Keep it sensible and be kind to your batteries. I have all my electric tools and have used them all over the years even my heat gun.

chrisjones18

Yip, you're gonna need batteries as the days when you could plug into a streetlight are long gone;)
2 x100watt panels and 1 x100amp hour battery seem to work for us..
Been thinking of another battery but have never got the one down under 11 volts yet.
Only use led bulbs and a couple of films a week

sundowners

We have 480w of solar---- 2x230 batteries and 3000w inverter --------in the Portuguese summer we have plenty of sun so we might as well be able to use the available power!!!!! You can get perfectly good 1000w electric kettles, plus we have loads of other electric kit which we use according to the power available----- we also have a domestic front loading washing machine which we don't use when the suns not shining------ so we can hang out and dry the same day!!
We got the 3kw inverter to transfer to our off grid cabin----- ----when we get the solar for it!!!!----- already swapped it on the motorhome for a new 2kw pure sine wave one.

vwalan

i power my house fridge and tall freezer when at home. i run a lead into the house off the tgrailers inverter. saves about 24-30p a day. not alot but mounts up over a summer.
i find the normal wet truck batteries last 4-5 years , they are better i find than the more expensive ones even with a replacement more often.
i like my plastic twintub washing machine when away. like nigel and pam washing done dried and all away in one day.
mind i do carry a posser and a acme wringer should the machine go wrong.
but sunny day start washing in morning by middle of afternoon all sorted when in spain or morocco in winter, portugal not so keen twice had 7 weeks rain while in portugal.
but in summer etc they must love that nice hot sun.

BigMomma

I agree that the more solar panels and leisure batteries you have the better the opportunities of surviving in Countries through an extended period when there is much less sunshine. However, you should also consider the weight implications, both of the weight distribution on the roof, some vehicles, if not reinforced may have a weight limit and what else are you planning on putting on the roof ? but do not forget also the considerable weight of those additional leisure batteries, this will impact on your total maximum permitted legal weight, or to put it simply, the more weight you add from adding solar and batteries the less weight you will have available for your additional personal items, just something to consider :thumb:

vwalan

yes you may find you cant come back with 400ltrs of fuel and lots of wine ,beer brandy etc but never mind .
best to get a vehicle with lots of payload.
after all you dont want to use them rip off campsites and mix with campsite dwellers do you! ha ha
best free camp well away from the masses.

BigMomma

Not sure Alan that there are very many Motorhomers that come back with 400 litres of fuel, most just stay away longer and can utilise the readily available low cost fuel ;) As far as payload is concerned, as long as individuals have enough for what they need that should be what is important:thumb: As for Campsites, agree totally, Wildcamping and Aires is the best:)

elfish

I agree that the more solar panels and leisure batteries you have the better the opportunities of surviving in Countries through an extended period when there is much less sunshine. However, you should also consider the weight implications, both of the weight distribution on the roof, some vehicles, if not reinforced may have a weight limit and what else are you planning on putting on the roof ? but do not forget also the considerable weight of those additional leisure batteries, this will impact on your total maximum permitted legal weight, or to put it simply, the more weight you add from adding solar and batteries the less weight you will have available for your additional personal items, just something to consider :thumb:
I uprated my van last year so i've an extra 350Kg in my rear, so i've got the weight allowance for more batteries. Plus i've tons of storage under my fixed bed to put them. I use lithium batteries so i've more juice for the weight & space. My solar panels (300W in total) are MIPV superflex so they are light as well. :thumb:

Adverts