Weight

Mercy Me

this is gonna sound naive because it is.
I have never weighed my van. I'm seeing signs saying no access over 3.5 tonnes and it's beginning to dawn on me I'm breaking the law.
The plate on the van says max is 3.5
I've just rung autotrail. They had no idea. Unhelpful.
It's an autotrail apache 307d Mercedes 1987
Any vague ideas?
Or where I can get it weighed?
I'm near Loches, France ATM

Silver Drifter

Hi ya, my van is plated at 3.8 tonnes, but I've never worried too much......the authorities want to stop really heavy vehicles! In Spain there are numerous public weigh bridges (cost €2) where I sometimes do a check and I'm usually about 3.6 tonnes. You would have to be really unlucky to be stopped and fined....especially on the continent.

coolasluck

Yep we ignore them as well.Sometimes it's a case of going down that road or going down a narrow street whilst trying to avoid the weight limit road.I take it as a guide only. Your only other option is to reverse up the road you have come lol

Mercy Me

Been a year and half in this van and it's never occurred to me! I know nothing of tonnes. I will continue in ignorance.
Found a bar where I can smoke, and an aire with free electricity.
Suddenly it doesn't matter anymore.
Cheers x

BigMomma

Well at the risk of being the one to spoil the populist thought on here folks, in my humble opinion there is probably a very good reason for putting a weight limit on roads :wasntme: Never mind the risk of 'maybe' being stopped and fined for taking an overweight vehicle onto such roads, but if you do happen to create any damage to said road or bridge along such road, you could also be taken to court and end up being charged for any repairs. But of course, that may never happen, so as always, it is an individual choice as to wether you comply with regulations or not !!

Mercy Me

Yep. That was beer talking on my part. Until I get it weighed ill most definitely watch those restrictions.
I spent over an hour in a car park yesterday trying to find a site or a weighbridge so once it was there as a concern I tried to rectify it!
As has been said they're maybe more evident in Spain and I'll be down there soon.
I just thought a van is clearly made for travelling and there is storage space to put things in. It honestly never occurred to me that would be limited, only that it would affect fuel consumption.

BigMomma

I am always cautious as my van is 5tonne and probably like you I have a lot of storage space, internally and eternal externally and it is so easy to just fill all the available space :eek: When touring we have seen some lovely secluded parking spots but over bridges restricted to 3.5 tonnes !! So we may miss out but better safe than sorry :thumb:

Willum

Having not been much help with the pm I sent Mercy Me, (middle of rural Spain and poached wifi) I'll just add that 3 years ago, as we crossed into Portugal, coming off the dual before the toll road, we were hauled by the GNR with a portable weighbridge. Not wanting to frighten anyone, but it does happen...... but rarely. They were probably after the East European trucks.
Willumn;-)

John and Joan

fI would have thought it was important to know the weight of your vehicle. If you exceed the weight plate the authorities can not only fine you but make you remove the excess weight before you continue your journey. The weight plate gives 4 weights.
The total weight of the loaded vehicle.
The load on the Front Axel.
The load on the Rear Axel and
The total weight including any trailer.
Exceeding any one of the four is against the regulations.

As far as the signs go if it just shows the max weight it applies to ALL vehicles. If the sign shows a truck then the weight applies to a commercial vehicle not a motorhome which is classed the same as a car.

Remember 1 litre of water, fuel or alcohol, weighs 1 kg

A person is calculated as 75kg but many of us exceed this so that excess comes off the load availability.

Some vans recently have been reported on other forums as having a load of 60 kg once put on the weighbridge so they are not fit for purpose, as you couldn't carry a passenger never mind a full tank of fuel and water or put anything else in the un-laden van.

Last edited:

coolasluck

Hi John and joan.
Hope your both well.
We bumped into some friends of yours at baragem Arade called Angela and Willie.
They have an R.V on a site in Scotland.

John and Joan

Hi Coolasluck

We are both well. However I am still waiting for DVLA to get their fingers out and renew my C1 licence. Applied after medical last April and still waiting. DVLA has all the required checks returned to them by July last year and should have had, in my opinion, plenty of time to process my application by now. I am sure medical group simply pile todays post on top of what was left from yesterday so the pile just grows. They say it is workload that is causing the delay and to not keep contacting them unless there is some change of circumstances. I see reports of people getting their licence turned around in days in posts on the forums. I will only be able to keep driving in the UK until May then I will have no licence, if the don't get around to it by then. If that happens I will have to start again with a new medical and application but won't be able to drive as the law only allows you to drive for 12 months after your last licence expires and have an application is pending.

Not good at recognising peoples names. Joan recognises dogs and its vans for me, not so much names. I'm not so bad at faces, but names escape the memory banks. Its nice that they remembered us. Our memories are not what they used to be, says Joan.

Tom2023

My Hymer is plated as 4.5t. The plate is towards the rear and in plain sight. I have no idea what the van actually weights as my local weighbridge charges £40 per axle and I have 3!

My main concern is some countries insist you buy vignette to travel on their roads and a lot of these countries charge a deal more if you are over 3.5t

vwalan

thats expensive. i payed 8 quid in november at our local weigh bridge . that was front truck .rear truck . then complete truck and trailer. that was for the three weighings .

Tom2023

I think Surrey council have a weighbridge near Guildford but I think that one is still £25.

My Dad used to have a weighbridge as part of his scrap business and I can remember charging a local £1 when he wanted his shire horse weighing. Mind you I think a pint was 35p back then.

John and Joan

If you don't want a paper ticket the Dover Council one near Tesco at Whitfield will weigh you without charge. I went to one in NW Durham that wanted £10 per axel and for a whole vehicle weight also no paper ticket. It was a higher charge if you wanted the ticket.

coolasluck

Hi Coolasluck

We are both well. However I am still waiting for DVLA to get their fingers out and renew my C1 licence. Applied after medical last April and still waiting. DVLA has all the required checks returned to them by July last year and should have had, in my opinion, plenty of time to process my application by now. I am sure medical group simply pile todays post on top of what was left from yesterday so the pile just grows. They say it is workload that is causing the delay and to not keep contacting them unless there is some change of circumstances. I see reports of people getting their licence turned around in days in posts on the forums. I will only be able to keep driving in the UK until May then I will have no licence, if the don't get around to it by then. If that happens I will have to start again with a new medical and application but won't be able to drive as the law only allows you to drive for 12 months after your last licence expires and have an application is pending.

Not good at recognising peoples names. Joan recognises dogs and its vans for me, not so much names. I'm not so bad at faces, but names escape the memory banks. Its nice that they remembered us. Our memories are not what they used to be, says Joan.

God I don't know how you can be so patient I know I would be phoning every few days if it was me.I know what you mean though. If its plastic I would never remember any potential friends but it's obviously easier for them to recognise us.
We would both remember dogs though lol

Adverts