UK Banks who don't charge you for withdrawing money abroad

vwalan

think its nation wide alot use .
i use hsbc and just smile if i need to draw cash out abroad .
its about 3%they charge if drawing cash abroad.
think its ask at every bank and see what they say.
best take lots food etc from uk then you dont spend as much abroad.
in many places using a card seems the only way they want to sell you fuel in many places .

BigMomma

I do not believe that their are any actual 'Banks' that do not charge for withdrawing cash, or using debit cards, when abroad. There are a number of companies that do provide 'Cash Cards', I use Caxton FX, others are available. No subscription charges for having the card, you can 'load' multiple currencies on the one card, there are no charges made by them for using it abroad and you use it just like you would use your bank debit card here in the UK (Cash Withdrawals, Shopping in stores and supermarkets, Restaurants, Fuel). You can top up the card by using a secure 'App' on a smart phone, tablet or PC. It really is very easy, it is not a Credit Card and there are absolutely no charges for having it or using it :thumb:

chrisjones18

The nationwide one is a credit card, it's a old gold card account, I have one , it gives one of the best exchange rates with no charges unless you take out cash.
Not sure if it's still available.
Wife has Halifax x credit card that's not far behind with charges.
Both can be used online
They are not bank accounts and I don't know of one that does not charge.

snowbird

The Nationwide Flexplus account has no bank charges anywhere in the world for drawing out cash. It also comes with European breakdown cover and worldwide travel insurance. If you leave a minimum balance of £2500 in the account, the cost is around £6 per month. In my view, the cheapest breakdown/travel insurance money can buy and with a favourable exchange rate thrown in, its a no brainer.

chrisjones18

The Nationwide Flexplus account has no bank charges anywhere in the world for drawing out cash. It also comes with European breakdown cover and worldwide travel insurance. If you leave a minimum balance of £2500 in the account, the cost is around £6 per month. In my view, the cheapest breakdown/travel insurance money can buy and with a favourable exchange rate thrown in, its a no brainer.
It's now £13 a month and from October 2018 they are adding charges for new customers.
They keep sending me updates

snowbird

It's now £13 a month and from October 2018 they are adding charges for new customers.
They keep sending me updates
Correct, it is £13 per month, but after the bit of interest they give you on the £2500 it comes down to about £6 per month. You cannot get full European breakdown cover, travel insurance, phone insurance and free cash withdrawals for £6 per month anywhere else.

chrisjones18

I
is the nationwide european breakdown cover for limited time trips ie 30 days, or are you covered for 365 days abroad?
Have no idea as my nationwide account is a credit one with no extras.
You can check their terms and conditions on line ( I think)
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/?cmpid=ngba_dba:products:nonsavings:productdetailsundefined
I have a lloyds bank platinum account that gives free breakdown cover .It has limits in must be under 3.5 ton and then adds a time limit of 60 days, this is from memory as it is no good for us.
I have 365 breakdown in the eu with Comfort Insurance, a add on to my policy for £69 per year. Covers over 3.5 ton and 7.5 Mrs length.

Last edited:

coolasluck

It's a credit card but we use clarity card from Halifax it gives you the best commercial rate and we arrange for it to be paid off in full by debit every month. Also MasterCard gives a slightly better rate than visa. Good to have buyer protection too.

sundowners

is the nationwide european breakdown cover for limited time trips ie 30 days, or are you covered for 365 days abroad?

As far as we know you are limited to 90 days in a trip, so another back-up is handy if you are doing longer trips away!!
We also have ADAC and safeguard, but these are only for issues we couldn't get sorted where they happen, let's face it if you break down you have to pay to fix it somewhere, the worst case scenario would be breaking down on a motorway in France the recovery alone could be VERY costly!!!!!. I believe that it is illegal to change a wheel in some places----some don't even carry a spare wheel, just to rely on breakdown insurance!!!!!! I will change (and have) changed wheels wherever necessary!!, also carry a selection of tools and odds & sods to help get out of trouble on the road-------- but you can never guarantee that it can be fixed on the spot or easily!!, especially with later vehicles, which rely so heavily on sensors and electronic control------ a huge plus for older vehicles IMHO!!!!