The start of something exciting!

Hi everyone, joined today so please have a look at my profile and pop in to say hi..
Have a lovely day
Hi one plus dog
Welcome to the forum.
You are away to start a great adventure in your life. I have had a Motorhome since teens a long time ago.
This meant I could take my dog with me, just headed out our drive and say”which way, left or right ? It’s a good feeling seeing where the road takes you and what’s around the next corner. Have fun and safe journey.
Gabbie

Hi Gabbie and thank you for my first reply...and a positive one too...good start. Your ahead of me though, I am still thinking about getting my home on wheels, what to do with my flat ?If my youngest son can cope on his own, or indeed if he is coming? How I finance daily living? Convert a vehicle or buy one already fit for purpose? questions questions ?? the reason Im here!

Hi one plus dog
Welcome to the forum.
You are away to start a great adventure in your life. I have had a Motorhome since teens a long time ago.
This meant I could take my dog with me, just headed out our drive and say”which way, left or right ? It’s a good feeling seeing where the road takes you and what’s around the next corner. Have fun and safe journey.
Gabbie
Hi Gabbie and thank you for my first reply...and a positive one too...good start. Your ahead of me though, I am still thinking about getting my home on wheels, what to do with my flat ?If my youngest son can cope on his own, or indeed if he is coming? How I finance daily living? Convert a vehicle or buy one already fit for purpose? questions questions ?? the reason Im here!

Hi I thought you were ready to hit the road.
I am retired now. I travel to vintage or steam yesterday rallies. I have a wee stall selling our traditional Scottish tablet, macaroon.
I have a couple of rallies to attend that’s it until spring. I have let my house out, just wanted free of the responsibility for a while
I will be living in my Motorhome full time go where I please, abroad for winter sun later on.
You could let your flat out, put your thinking cap on to use a hobby eg to earn.
When the time comes, I ‘m sure you will be ready to take the step
All the best
Gabbie

Thank you, I can make beautiful fresh holly wreath's ...I trained as a florist at 16 for about a year and have made these for friends ..maybe I can use that training also spent 7 years in a bakery not baking but icing and finishing off cakes...can think on my feet and good at on the spot problem solving That comes from raising 4 boys!
I also want the freedom to wander, to experience new thing's and to do it all in my own time.....that wont happen sitting here

BigMomma

Welcome to the forum :thumb: If you have a question or need information just ask away, you will get numerous responses, advice, guidance and varied opinions, just take away from them what it is that 'you' need ;)

vortex

hi there. sounds like you are doing exactly what im planning to do in the very near future... no van as yet ... but im looking...all new to me but i was a builder for years and years so it should be aok .. will be converting it myself so it will probably take time ... worth it in the end tho ... wishing you the very best of luck with your new venture ..:thumb:

Thank you all for wishing me well....had a wee op on my foot so not a lot was getting done!...Pup has decided he isnt listening anymore ...that needs sorted prior to going anywhere...…..still time yet

vortex

hope your feeling better now ... i had a back operation that allmost left me paralised for life ....cant do much for any length of time anymore .. including work ... hence the divorce inprogress !!
get well soon ...

Have decided to look at small options...we have GUMTREE here and there are some motorhomes that look reasonable....without breaking the bank or selling my flat....yeah Im hesitant to let my stability go all at once!!…..will take someone with me to have a proper look should I see anything I really like....but as yet still sitting on the fence lol

It is always a good idea to keep your options open :thumb: If you have any Motorhome dealerships around you within easy travelling distance it is worth burning some shoe leather and taking a visit, once your foot is better ;) That way you can actually get a better idea of layout and space. You have not said what your future travel plans may be ? Freedom to travel throughout Europe may change in the very near future dependent on the outcome of 'Brexit', so keeping a 'Bolt Hole' may be a good idea, you could always rent it out which would provide you with some additional income for your travels or if you discover that the nomadic lifestyle is not for you after you have tried it, then you have somewhere to return to.

Thank you big momma.....I would like to try Europe but would start in the UK maybe for the first year....and if that work's out then maybe will have the confidence to go farther …..bearing in mind I am on my own with just the dog, so need to keep safety a priority....I don't speak any other languages either ….can get by on a holiday but that's due to the locals mostly understanding English....cant imagine me at a garage in middle of nowhere trying to explain I have broken down!!….or whats the work for FUSE lol.....anyway.... still looking at things and making plans in my head....have looked at travelling and working along the way doing whatever is available then moving on when it isn't....that is an option..

Nice to know other languages but you can't be expected to know every country you will travel in!!!!
Google is your friend ---- he will help you with any language!!!!! You can even translate text with your phone so don't let that put you off other countries!!!!!!!!----- just try to learn the absolute basics ie please thank you etc. Smile be sociable and everything will fall into place!!!!!
Probably like most of us you will find Europe easier than UK!!!!!!
I think in your position I would rent the flat if possible and convert a long wheel base van, but that is not easy if you have nowhere to do it!!!!
We used to live in a very basic coach and converted when abroad over a few years!!!!------- what does your licence allow you to drive????

Thank you big momma.....I would like to try Europe but would start in the UK maybe for the first year....and if that work's out then maybe will have the confidence to go farther …..bearing in mind I am on my own with just the dog, so need to keep safety a priority....I don't speak any other languages either ….can get by on a holiday but that's due to the locals mostly understanding English....cant imagine me at a garage in middle of nowhere trying to explain I have broken down!!….or whats the work for FUSE lol.....anyway.... still looking at things and making plans in my head....have looked at travelling and working along the way doing whatever is available then moving on when it isn't....that is an option..
The problem with starting to gain experience in the UK is that, whilst it is getting better, it is not as Motorhome friendly as Europe unless you have a big enough budget to use proper Campsites. Europe has a fantastic network of Motorhome 'Aires', many are 'free', their are cheap 'Municipal' Campsites and with an ACSI card you can use 'Commercial' Campsites at very competive rates. Personally, although you should use common sense and utilise security measures anywhere, I certainly feel much safer in Europe than I do in U.K. Starting off in U.K. Is a good idea whilst you get used to the van, driving it, manouevering it and familiarising yourself with all the liveaboard stuff, also, if you find you need something you may have overlooked, then agree that initially it may be better going to a shop where they speak English and understand what you want. My only comment would be that you may not enjoy your first experiences of living/travelling in a van if you used U.K. as your 'toe in the water' gauge, and that may put you off the whole lifestyle experience. Get into Europe and that is where, other than the more economical benefits you will enjoy, you will enjoy the whole lifestyle much more. But at the end of the day, this is your dream, your choice, therefore you must do it 'your' way. A lot of people go into this nomadic lifestyle with 'Rose Tinted Glasses', but as many I am sure will tell you, you will have good days and you will have bad days, the sun does not always shine and you may be penned inside for a while. However, I wish you all the best in your adventures, this forum is a good source of information, advice and varied opinions, so utilise the knowledge base on here. Read 'Blogs', they provide information too, their are lots of people out their living the nomadic lifestyle, some forum members who are currently 'on the road' fulltiming do not write blogs but they certainly will be able to give lots of good advice and information if you ask questions :thumb: