Sprinter van conversion.

Risky

looks real tidy, I'm sure the inside will be like stepping back in time, back to the days when we had 'cabinet makers' not chop saw kings lol
well done with the picture up loading, now you'll have to get some internal shots for us
I took loads of pictures all around it and underneath.
I'm sat here now just looking at them and thinking how I'd tinker things around and make it work for us.
Reality is we're better in the Sprinter but We both agreed that this is something special.

Attachments

Risky

It's certainly got character. All the little details are all around the truck.
The guy should be sending me pics of the slide outs open.
With a bit of tlc.... What a home on wheels.

Attachments

Risky

If anyone knows of anyone after something a bit different then please share to them.
I've looked all around this old truck, driven it and would confidently say it's a unique chance to get a rare truck in awesome retro condition.
All underneath is good.... I mean really good.
The guy only went to buy a van and was offered a campervan!!!
He has no dealing with these and is basically stuck looking at something he knows is nice but he has no use for... But we do!!
He told me what he paid for it and how much it owes him. He tried to sell it on eBay... Lots of interest but being Polish and not easy to view here it didn't sell.
Well if anyone is interested I can help with videos, close ups, start ups and driving videos.
He is happy to have me help him to sell it and is a genuine nice guy. He speaks perfect English, lived in UK for 14 years but came back to Poland.
The truck is solid guys... Starts and drives, is unique and if I could do something more with it I'd have it myself.

Attachments

fanofatan

as you say pretty much looking the way it was when it was first converted, not everyone's taste but with a bit of TLC here and there possibly a great home for someone

Risky

as you say pretty much looking the way it was when it was first converted, not everyone's taste but with a bit of TLC here and there possibly a great home for someone
Just got the information about prices he paid for truck and costs to get to his place. It owes him just under £10,000.
He said I can have it for £10k.
Basically it's £10,000 and it's anyone's that wants it.
He can arrange low loader to UK for around 2,000 Euro's, maybe less or sort yourself?
Just updating the position if anyone might be interested?

hpold

Nice bit of kit as you say a bit dated as I can tell with the tiles dating round 1980 era in germany from the design .

vwalan

be aware that with that much overhang at thr rear it should never be able to get registered in uk .
the rules say upto 60%of the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel.
if thinking of bringing it to uk forget it .
looking at your first pic from that rear bumper to the center of rear wheel looks almost as long as the wheelbase. might be optical illusion but worth a good check .

fanofatan

looking at the pictures it looks as though there is slightly more length from the centre of the vans wheel base to the front of the van than there is from the centre of the vans wheel base to the back of the van (should the wheels be slightly further back on the van?)

vwalan

well the front are fixed by the type of vehicle . if the rear wheels were moved back that means a much longer propshaft needed or an extension.
really its just bad design and will have hell of a rear swing out on tight corners .
could be that as a showmans vehicle its allowed over there . but not here .
plus does it say 1624 on the door . that would mean you need hgv anyway to drive it.

sundowners

AFAIK------the rule on wheelbase/overhang has been amended------and is now based on 'swing-out'---------so to make it within the law, it would mean adjusting the steering lock-stop-------would make it a bit cumbersome when maneuvering though.
Looks a nice historic van, but not for us;)

Risky

It certainly has an overhang but I did get it out the farm and right in a restricted area...the lock isn't great but turned okay...aware of swing of the back. Coming back into the yard it was a slope down and the rear bar at the back was close to touching but slowly it was okay.
We're now back on the other side of Poland so not near the truck to take anymore pics or measurements. The legalities would obviously need looking at but if it was used out here or wherever the rules are a bit less arsey then happy days.
Aggy and I are driving around looking at places and many of the roads are a maximum weight of 3.5 in some towns. Lots of max 5 tons and 8....so we're still able to get right into the centres of towns, stealthy and not standing out like a beacon. It makes you realise that a "little" 3.5 van really does cover most of the bases for what we are doing. Yes it would be nice to plot up, plug in and open up the slide outs and have a larger space BUT the negatives outweigh the positives in the likes of a big truck....for now.

vwalan

but check it gvw going by that 1624 is it a 16tonner.usually merc number would be 16 tonner 240 bhp.
might be wrong but thats how it normally indicates what truck they are .

Risky

Haven't put a pic up of our van that I can remember so here it is. This was last year, not a lot changed since then. Suits us just fine.

Attachments

Risky

but check it gvw going by that 1624 is it a 16tonner.usually merc number would be 16 tonner 240 bhp.
might be wrong but thats how it normally indicates what truck they are .
I said to the guy about that. He thinks that the badge may of just been put on, no idea why if it has been?
The road/track I drove it on was not really any good to get any speed. I just fancied driving it and seeing how she felt. Big wide steering wheel, big movements with gear lever...long. Not sure how it would go on a decent road but I could feel it pull from low revs and 3rd gear. The plate inside the door was looking original and had a weight of 7490. If that IS the GVW i'd be surprised.
Either way it has a fair bit of wood and fittings inside it. All strong stuff so nothing like a new motor would have.
I must say it would need a refurb to make it to our taste BUT that would also take away the originality of the feel to the inside. The slide outs are a nice touch.
Anyway....Sprinter does us just fine. If I had the land and a big barn to store the truck in i'd enjoy tinkering on it and doing it up.

voyagerstan

Yes think you'll find that old merc is seven half ton friend in Preston had one nice drive slow and Easey but that one has chassis extension and probably ground out on any uneven ground that's apart from the swing not much use round the Devon lanes , and then there's the spares , not plentiful to say the least . Ergo 10000 grand is having a giraffe Hee Hee but just my humble opinion . Stan I'll get me hat :wasntme:

Risky

Yes think you'll find that old merc is seven half ton friend in Preston had one nice drive slow and Easey but that one has chassis extension and probably ground out on any uneven ground that's apart from the swing not much use round the Devon lanes , and then there's the spares , not plentiful to say the least . Ergo 10000 grand is having a giraffe Hee Hee but just my humble opinion . Stan I'll get me hat :wasntme:
I spoke with the guy that has it and advised him of the information from you guys. The 60% limits, the MOT in Poland etc.
He is going to take all the measurements in the next day or so. He will also take it to a weigh bridge uptake road from him. As for the MOT, he can also take it to a place that does them but obviously he is just going to see if the 60% and the weights before he spends more on it.
Price wise is his issue. It's not my concern but obviously he would like to get back all he's paid for it as anyone would. He is a nice guy so I said i'd see if anyone was interested in UK....then obviously the legalities cropped up.
It'll be interesting to see what the numbers are.
As for the 1624, it's probably just the badges stuck on....I very much doubt it's anywhere near 10 ton let alone 16. And 240hp....definitely not a V8 and it gains momentum rather than accelerates!!

Adverts