Sprinter van conversion.

BwB

Making good progress! Nice colour too, makes a change from white van man.

vwalan

hi nice one . strange having lhd and side door on left .
moving fast is the way . soon be winter here .
catch you in the sun maybe .

Risky

Making good progress! Nice colour too, makes a change from white van man.
Yep..coming along nicely. Fitted the floor the other day so that made a big difference, looks great. I'm doing a fair bit of building parts up then taking them out again....fit another bit such as flooring then build back again, just how it is. I've got the carpeting going in tomorrow so all the cupboard hangers i've been making and the bed/wheel arch boxing will all come back out again to get a better result. Takes a little bit of time but whilst i'm waiting for things to turn up I'm cracking on with other bits..saves time in the long run.
So tomoz should be a big change in the look of the van...turns into a "home" when it's all carpeted out:thumb:
Cupboards and sink/water/electrics all going in over the coming days....struggling to get a decent 3 way fridge at the moment but working on it.

vwalan

might be better to get a table top 240v fridge . then with solar and inverter/batteries you dont have to worry about slopes etc when parking .

chrisjones18

i've also been thinking this route and trying to get all information together just in case i do it, so any info on different fridges would also help me. i would like a large 3 way one------which model?
i hope Risky don't mind me asking on his thread.

Risky

i've also been thinking this route and trying to get all information together just in case i do it, so any info on different fridges would also help me. i would like a large 3 way one------which model?
i hope Risky don't mind me asking on his thread.
Not in the slightest...anyones input advice or random chat is welcome...fill ya boots!

The only thing i'm not too happy about is cutting holes in the side of my van. 3 way fridges need vents in and flues out. I can put vents in the floor around the fridge for air in and probably run a pipe upto the roof, there's holes cut there anyway...so not too fussed about that. Not sure if "rules or regulations" dictate where or how long a flue can be on a camper van, is there any? ( ALAAAAAN);)
In the next few weeks it's going to a mates body shop to have a "treat"...nigh on complete respray, so i'm loathe to make any cuts that if possible I can avoid. One option is just a DECENT 12volt cool box. Working on the idea that we only need to keep the basics in a cool box then we should be okay. Buy food as and when needed, not a lot else to do seeing as we're drifting along living life minute by minute when on the road:thumb:. Canned stuff and the likes is good to keep stashed so as to knock something up if the shops are closed.
We got away with that for 2 months in our last trip with the caravan. Worked then so I know that we don't need weeks of food stashed!
Okay...carpets all going up today. Cupboards supports all ready to have units made and cracking on with loads over the weekend....getting there and looking good, pictures later:thumb:

Dunroamin

A cool box only keeps things cool it doesnt cool them and used lots and lots of leccy.A three way fridge has to disperse the hear generated behind it or it wont work properly and it wont do that with a pipe to the roof the gas fumes must also get out and they also wont climb that high.A three way has to be totally isolated from the living area and if you dont want to cut holes then a compressor is your only viable choice.Given that you dont have the roof area that Alan has for solar I would say that 220 volt fridge is a no-no.

vwalan

get 6 panels on his roof easy .even better if mounted on a good rack system . could use 12v compressor but i say 240v is far cheaper .a table top can be bought for about 75 quid . the money left over from not buying 12v buys panels . these days they are cheap. using an inverter also gives you mains power for other things that can make life easier. i only use about a quarter of my roof for solar. mind have thought about getting more . at less than 80 quid for 100w panels its very good value . best not get a so called professional fit them they just rip you off . getting worse this year they ask a fortune for the panels .

vwalan

built in to a roof rack you wouldnt see them . put a ridge around the edge . just look like a flat rack . after all you dont see most panels on a roof . even a high top. there is no stealth really by hiding . i say stand out and it can be just as good . look at me and bob think we both have no stealth with our trucks but it works .
i know a couple of trucks that look like old gypsie trucks that works for them .
one looks like wood but isnt . you would say no stealth in that as every one knows them .
in reality see a van abroad look at reg number .if its not from the country you are in you know its a camper .usually is anyway.

Last edited:

vwalan

looking good , neat tidy . i like it . well done .

BwB

Looking good!!

On The edge

That looks really good. I have a couple of questions. What is the furniture "system" you are using. It looks like a modular arrangement. Did you get the bonded window in the side door from the manufacturer or is it an after market item?

Risky

Cheers, i'm really pleased the way it has turned out so far. Furniture is all made by myself under the guidance of my mates that build camper vans..handy!! I won't take all the credit for the build because I had never done this before so they showed me how to use the routers and do the trimming etc, and helped me as I "played" at building it. So...basically the furniture is wood sheets cut and assembled by hand...cool huh:thumb:. All made to fit MY van as I went along, made it up basically;)

Bonded side windows I got from a company called Leisure windows...Paul. I've been in the windscreen trade for 30+ years and fitted them before. Nice bit of kit, good tint and the sliders are smooth...quality :thumb:
Manufacturer parts, especially some glass items are ridiculously priced. these are £168+vat per window, cheaper if you don't want sliders in them.

vwalan

i used them for my ally door and gas locker door . but i had to replace the panelling on the door a few years later . ie.. the red . have the locker door to do then repaint them one day .
they do keep alot of gear there .
my mates used to live not far away at oundle so called in there a few times .

Wandering Star

That's a really great looking vehicle!
#Jealous

Risky

That's a really great looking vehicle!
#Jealous
Thank you, it has come out a lot better than what I had in mind when I started the conversion. Without my friends that build all this stuff it would not of turned out like this, no way.
I have the satisfaction of knowing I built the majority of it, that also comes in handy should anything need to be changed or repaired.
By Wednesday it should all be done, light switches, inverter, 12v supplies, hot water and shower heaters working....cannot wait to get away for a bit to see how it goes.

Adverts