Spain

Monkmoor

Does any one know the legal length of time we can stay in our UK registered, mot,d European insured vehicle in Spain on one go.

I know, and I am one who does stay for months, bit would like to officially know the legal side

I saw a website saying that 60 days is the maximum before u have to get the UK vehicle spainish registered.

However that costs about 2000 pound and that's before passing their ITV (our mot ) and they charge u for European lights...

And has any one been challenged and had the full force of the authorities on their back.

Does nipping into Portugal reset the procedure again, or is it a 60 days in a calender year...

No one appears to really know...

Seeking help.!

BigMomma

Whilst we are still part of the EU, as a temporary visitor, you can currently spend 183 days per year in Spain. However, you can spend 90 days without formality but if you wish to remain longer than 90 days you have to go and sign the register of 'Foreign Nationals' at a Police Station. If you remain longer than 183 days then you become a 'Tax Resident'. Under the current system, living and travelling in your Motorhome, as their are no physical or manned borders, this is practically unenforceable so quite easy to wander to and fro without any problems. However, 'if' or 'when' we become non-members of the EU, and therefore not party to the 'Schengen Agreement' to which we have never signed up to, the situation will be very different. Technically it is the UK rules that state that if you live outside the Country for 6 months or more then you must de-register your vehicle with DVLA and register it in the Country in which you are then residing. This ruling was never intended, or considered, people who lived fulltime, or did extended touring in their vehicles so you will find yourself, technically, in a catch 22 situation, unless of course you register your vehicle at a UK address or purchase a property in another Country. As has been discussed many times on this and other Motorhome forums, even 'if' or 'when' Brexit happens, although their will be no authorities physicall driving around to catch you overstaying, if or when you do eventually decide to return to the UK that is when they will get you !! UK is an Island and to get across to the other side of the water we need to Fly, catch a ferry or train, so when you arrive on the foreign shores and depart again you WILL pass through Immigration Control where your passport is checked and your details checked on a computer and date of entry and exit is annotated. This computerised information is shared Europe wide with Police and Border Control Agencies.

Monkmoor

Thank you for that...
Every one has a different story. And like you state, we are all travelling to and fro borders...

I wonder if any one has had any issues with the authorities and length of stay.

I would of been in Europe for almost a year by the time info home.

Would love to re mot motorhome in Europe and save huge return journey costs, but this is not legal. I have a home address for when I return..

I think brexit may change everything. So my 3 months in Morocco, and the rest in Europe will hopefully go indictated...

Would love to hear people's experiences of staying more than 6 months in Spain

Monkmoor

Hiya Jim
Thank you for your reply. I see that you stated that I can only stay in Spain for 183 days before I officially have toner register the van.. you and I both know , vans across here are not doing that.

How about if I move into Portugal or France. Does the time rule start again.

Do u know any one or hear any stories or people who have stayed longer than 183 days in Europe

I did a ten month tour in 2015/16. I left the UK in Sept 15 and went down through France into Spain crossing the Spanish border mid October, I stayed in Spain until the following April then back into France until the end of May, then quickly through Italy into Croatia for approx 6 weeks, coming back through Slovenia into northern Italy then back into France and the ferry back to the UK in August.

Dunroamin

I left the UK on 17 march 2014 and thru France ,Spain Portugal France Germany Italy Slovenia down to Albania into Greece on to Turkey back to Greece then next week on the ferry to Ancona which helps monkmoor as much as the last reply!!!!!@

BigMomma

I left the UK on 17 march 2014 and thru France ,Spain Portugal France Germany Italy Slovenia down to Albania into Greece on to Turkey back to Greece then next week on the ferry to Ancona which helps monkmoor as much as the last reply!!!!!@
This post appears to be all about asking the same question until you get the answer you want ? :rolleyes:

chrisjones18

I thought a UK citizen could stay in Spain as long as their passport is valid.
If you have a botc,boc,bp or bs passport or a full UK passport you are ok.
You are on long term holiday ,not working and do not have residential accommodation and that's different.
If you are a UK resident you can only stay for 90 days.
The Spanish Embassy should give you the right answer.
There is a difference between "citizen" and " resident "

If you take a vehicle out of the UK for over 12 months technically you should export it..

Leaving with a no deal on Brexit will change the above.

Last edited:

BigMomma

There is lots of information on this subject on the Internet, the key feature though is all about the 'Formalities' and registering your presence in the Country. For Spain, even a tourist, if you intend remaining in the Country for longer than 90 days then you must formally sign on to the register of 'Foreign Nationals', it is a simple process. Until the UK stops being a member of the EU it is easy to remain in any other EU member Country because their are no physical border controls so no way to check how long you have stayed there and nobody is really that bothered, unless you are considered a risk to 'Security'. You have to have full comprehensive Medical Insurance, remember the EHIC only covers 'Emergency' Treatment and have sufficient funds to support yourself. If you stay longer than 90 days without registering your presence then technically, if you come to adverse attention, they can fine you. So, under current EU procedures, it is possible to stay long term in another EU Country provided that you register your presence and meet the criteria but for things like the OP was asking, MOT of vehicle in another Country, this is not possible even under EU rules, unless your vehicle is registered in that Country, and for that you will need to have an address.

Once we are no longer a member of the EU then other conditions will apply which will restrict our ability to 'Freedom of Movement'.

Whilst it is quite easy, as it stands right now, to remain in another EU Country as a 'Tourist', there are still 'formalities' that need to be taken and unless you take up 'Residency' there will be restrictions on what access to 'Services' you can obtain. If you were in good health, had income to support yourself and could come back to UK once a year to have vehicle MOT'd then it is quite easy to remain in any EU Country if you wanted to, even not registering.

Being part of the EU made it a lot easier, for fulltime Motorhomers, amongst other's, to stay in other EU member Countries without going through the 'legal' formalities, but that may all be about to change, who knows, Article 50 may still yet get revoked and keep our fulltiming lifestyle a simple and easy process :rolleyes:

Dunroamin

A couple of Cloggies we met told us that a Spanish ITV was accepted in NL.It is accepted in D but you are required to make the Tuv within a reasonable time.Why cant the UK come to agreements?

Monkmoor

I did a ten month tour in 2015/16. I left the UK in Sept 15 and went down through France into Spain crossing the Spanish border mid October, I stayed in Spain until the following April then back into France until the end of May, then quickly through Italy into Croatia for approx 6 weeks, coming back through Slovenia into northern Italy then back into France and the ferry back to the UK in August.

Monkmoor

Sounds brilliant. This is my intention. Bit just wondered if there was a legal time that you could stay before the authorities get shitty on our return to uk

Dunroamin

I think you should make an appointment for an mot before
you arrive for the day you arrive at a nearby mot station.It is legal to drive to a mot appointment without one.

BigMomma

Why cant the UK come to agreements?
As the last 3 years has shown quite clearly, the Politicians are only concerned about their own self-interests and not the National Interest. You would have thought that as the EU has implemented lots of Laws/Rules/Procedures that are enforceable and applicable to all EU member countries, that a minimum standard MOT for vehicles would have been one of those requirements considering that lots of vehicles travel throughout EU member countries, not just Cars and Motorhomes :wasntme: Seems ludicrous and hypocritical to me that we live in a Country that spouts off about Political Correctness, Equal Rights, Tolerance, Multi-Culturism etc. but we do not want to be part of a unified European Society ?:rolleyes:

BigMomma

Sounds brilliant. This is my intention. Bit just wondered if there was a legal time that you could stay before the authorities get shitty on our return to uk
At the moment, No.

Cannot recall my vehicle documentation, including MOT certificate, ever being checked coming back into the UK. It would only be if you get 'pulled' for a vehicle offence when the Police would ask to see Licence, Registration Documents, MOT certificate. Although if you were to be stopped they would do a PNC check which will reveal if your vehicle is Taxed, MOT'd and Insured.

As it stands now, you could potentially stay in Europe as long as you wanted and nobody really cares. If you were able to get a ITV check done in Spain then your vehicle is legal whilst in Spain, as Dunroamin has suggested, you could pre-book an MOT test for a day or two after you returned. However, if you stay out of UK for longer than 12 months you would still need to pay road tax on your vehicle, unless you de-registered it with DVLA, and so you would need a valid (Current in date) MOT certificate to do that ?

BigMomma

I thought a UK citizen could stay in Spain as long as their passport is valid.
If you have a botc,boc,bp or bs passport or a full UK passport you are ok.
Chris, I think you will find that the quote you provide is in relation to 'Travel' to Spain and not 'Staying in Spain'. As a U.K. National with a valid passport we do not need any other travel documentation to enter Spain, unlike some people, who may be 'Resident' in U.K. but are not British 'Citizens', they need to apply for a 'Schengen Visa' and that restricts them to 90 days. As a British Citizen we do not need such formalities and provided we are not living permanently, or working, in Spain, then, if we wish to stay for longer than 90 days we can, we just have to sign on the 'Foreign Nationals' register.

Of course, as it stands now, it is very easy to stay almost indefinitely, talking about Motorhomers now, there is know way the authorities can tell how long you have been there, wether you left to go elsewhere, Portugal, France etc. etc. as their are no manned borders within mainland Europe.

However, Monkmoor used the word 'Legal' in his questions and so I provided him with the 'Legal' answer to his question(s). Registering after 90 days if you wish to stay longer is a 'Legal Requirement', failure to do so may result in the offender receiving a fine. Whether people actually do that is another matter and whether the Spanish Authorities have the time/manpower or inclination to do it is another.

vwalan

certainly this sort of thing happened around malaga a few years ago. lots of ex uk folk that were sneaking around had their cars etc snapped up and crushed.
happened around la linea as well.
silly really that you cant even get a fresh mot in Gibraltar but never mind .
remember the spanish can look at mot ,tax etc on computers to check if your legal in uk.
best stay legal.

BigMomma

We were stopped during our visit in 2018, although the Guardia Civil were spot-checking all vehicles, even Spanish registered ones. They were very polite and asked us to produce Driver's Licence, Vehicle Registration Document and Insurance Certificate, which we did. They asked if we were on holiday, we confirmed that we were, they did not ask us when we arrived or how long we intended to stay, then they waved us on.

However, this article you have provided a link to is a good reminder that things do change and although I was aware of this I had forgotten about it when responding to Monkmoor, so a very good point to raise Alan. It may be that if you do get stopped and have spent an extended period that you will need to perhaps consider being 'economical with the facts' ;)

chrisjones18

We were stopped during our visit in 2018, although the Guardia Civil were spot-checking all vehicles, even Spanish registered ones. They were very polite and asked us to produce Driver's Licence, Vehicle Registration Document and Insurance Certificate, which we did. They asked if we were on holiday, we confirmed that we were, they did not ask us when we arrived or how long we intended to stay, then they waved us on.

However, this article you have provided a link to is a good reminder that things do change and although I was aware of this I had forgotten about it when responding to Monkmoor, so a very good point to raise Alan. It may be that if you do get stopped and have spent an extended period that you will need to perhaps consider being 'economical with the facts' ;)
You have answered my point in one word for staying in any eu country for as long as you want
" holiday " is the magic word.
A uk registered vehicle taken out of the UK for more than 12 months needs to be exported. This is law, so if you are anywhere outside of the UK with a UK reg vehicle that shows up on a check with no mot or insurance being paid in the UK or a carnet de passage matching the vehicle, the authorities in that country can do what they see fit.

This looks to be up to date on Spanish requirements

Last edited:

Adverts