Sites in Spain and Portugal

chrisjones18

what about the campsite just by the punta mala turn off just by alcaidesa ,cant think of its name at moment . there used to be a caravan on a hill by side of road advertising it . just north of la linea. mind there is always somewhere for the odd night on the ind estates etc .
I have a link at home for this and the one just up from football club run by the disabled .
Will be back in house by 7 Oct if you want them.

Just seen your link Alan, yes that's the one by the Thai restaurant.

vwalan

didnt know about the restaurant but have used that campsite many years ago.
used to know the barmaid etc , she was a friend of marion the german lady that lives at punta mala or used to.
just looked in a campo de gibralter leaflet issue 8, to get the name of campsite . its dated june /july 2003, ha ha .
they were talking then of alcaidesa carrying on building 4,000 new homes ,five hotels ,and two more golf courses .
i remember when alcaidesa was not even there . we used to park on a big green plateau on the other side of the road, think it became a nature park mind it was ages ago.

That's us into Portugal now. We did a couple of nights at a site near the centre of Santiago de Compostela that was quite expensive (30EUR a night) but we're now in a site just to the north of Porto close to the beach at Vila do Conde which is only 15EUR (including hookup) per night with an ASCI card that we were given for free (although I gave them a nice bottle of Bordeaux as a gift) by another British couple on site as they had a spare.

We'll probably spend a few days here before heading into Lisbon. We haven't decided if we'll go to the Algarve or not yet - will decide after Lisbon.

vwalan

well your coming on to the nice coastal forest roads below aveiro. watch out for the dead end by aveiro.
also at boa viagem just north of fig de foz there is a great view point on the hills , gives fantastic views .https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.1889312,-8.8999998,148m/data=!3m1!1e3
worth a drive out and look.
that west coast takes some beating though for nice beaches .
between sao pedro de muel and nazare there is a left turn or could be main road going left ,there is a nice parkup, with toilets ,showers ,water and a bar /cafe . plus a nice exercise park. again nice sea views . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.7...4!1sGoAwnsU9wBMZkznriUhCtw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
we go back on the coastal roads but its nice here as a break.
also some nice walks around here , in the woods or down on the cliffs.

Last edited:
Cheers Alan. We're going to work out if we'll go direct to Lisbon tomorrow or stop somewhere part way, and if the latter then somewhere like Aveiro would be good.

vwalan

some stop at furadouro. lots on the north side on a beach carpark.
but just have a look on the southside of the town ,a big carpark that seems to never get crowded . there is a tap close by as well.
spent lots of trips on that coast , my parents were into surfing . i was as well. my two lads would probably sat they were brought up on surfing trips . or vw shows or motorbike weekends .
cant help in lisbon , no surf there. ha ha . but have a look at peniche on the way down and stop awhile at cabo de roca , its the furthest west bit of land in europe so they say.
we like a night at santa rita as well on a beach carpark, if on the coast road you will find it
have a good one.
your going too fast really . could have taken months to do that north coast and down portugal. hee hee.

I've got a friend in Lisbon (he was part of my team at a couple of companies) so we're going to hook up with him to benefit from some local knowledge. Also had some of my team based in Porto so used their knowledge to advise on what to do here.
From what we've seen so far there are some great surfing beaches on the Portugese west coast, including where we are now.
Another of my buddies is surfing down on the Algarve at the moment but I think he's going to be back home before we could get down there.

vwalan

we use pria de funtao its between vila de conde and porto.
not far from the airport really ,but right on the coast.
living here in cornwall going surfing is just a natural thing to do. cant do it these days as i cant balance but body boards are always good fun. still have some wooden ones from the 60,s .

chrisjones18

we use pria de funtao its between vila de conde and porto.
not far from the airport really ,but right on the coast.
living here in cornwall going surfing is just a natural thing to do. cant do it these days as i cant balance but body boards are always good fun. still have some wooden ones from the 60,s .
Body boards...... now there's some fun....
Did think about another surf ski ...not sure what they call them now, storage is the problem.
Ain't that furthest bit of land in portugal got a light house on it, bloody rough there.

vwalan

yes there is a lighthouse there .
one of those places like lands end or john o groats . just gotta go and have a look.
i actually use wooden belly boards .
i do have a body board here but the plywood belly board works best for me . you dont go out so far and only catch the broken waves but its fun.
i,m still a child remember . ha ha .
i do have 3 malibu boards here as well, my lads use them sometimes .
better keep them the grandkids might want them in a few years time.
one is a very early bilbo popout board . hate to imagine its age .
i know one is a board i bought new in 1978. a circle one board .
the other is an o,neil board my wife used to use . thats quite old as well.
mind hardly get rid of anything in my house , bit like steptoe and sons .

We ended up going straight to Lisbon from Porto as my friend was available for the weekend so getting here on Saturday means we should be able to meet up with him tomorrow. Ended up using the toll roads for the first time this trip. I'd started on the non-toll roads from Porto but it was painfully slow so decided to bite the bullet and use the tolls instead. As we're here for a few days I've decided to use a campsite again here, although it's into their low season now and we also got the ACSI discount.