Sites in Spain and Portugal

We've wandered our way down as far as Biarritz now and we're now planning to follow the coast of Spain and Portugal all the way back into France.

Any particular recommendations for sites, Aire's or wild-camping locations? We've no real set agenda but fancy visiting Santiago de Compestela, Lisbon and Gibraltar on the way.

vwalan

just hug the coast. i,m sure you will find nice places . in portugal below aveiro to figueria da foz it can be a bit of a bumpy track through the forestry but nice lonely beaches out there . we use mapamax mapbook of spain and portugal , names lots of the little coves and beaches not on maps even mitchy maps are hopeless . we dont use sites or aires but theres always a nice stop over.
becareful near aviera as the road comes to an end when heading south best cut left and down the inside of estuary to the town , but its worth having the look .
these days i dare say google earth is ok to use , we just use maps . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.3345823,-8.8246952,3a,75y,312.14h,76.72t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s4XMiguEkFkTuFwY5EereiQ!2e0!
we like it here as well . good font on the way to the sea and nice walks .
we say follow the sea and take every turning to the left or right to the sea ,depending if heading north or south . some are dead ends but nice places to visit on the way. heres one on the forest road on the dunes de cantanhede just above praia de tocha. get drinking water before you get to the beach though . there used to be water there but its got damaged a few years ago. praya palheirao, there was toilets and a cafe but they got smashed in. Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 444.jpg

Last edited:

BigMomma

When we did it in Bigmomma, a 9metre long tag axle van, we started inland at Badajoz and wildcamped at Barragems, there are lots of Aires or decent free parking locations in many of the towns, check out my first blog and you will see places we used :thumb: South of Lisbon we followed the coastal road and found plenty of Wildcamping opportunities by the sea, once you hit the Algarve their are 'Aires' a plenty, some that were useful to just stop at to 'empty and fill' onboard tanks then move on to other more remote locations. Camperstop Europe was a good resource for us as was the Kamper Contact App ;)

vwalan

badajoz is the other side of portugal to the coast. .yes i know its in spain.
best hug the coast lots to see, but if heading to santiago de compostela we have a night here near brandomil by the roman bridge . https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.0081598,-8.9215999,568m/data=!3m1!1e3
short walk into village . but better to stand on the bridge and if your lucky you may see otters swimming in the river. usually is.
theres a font and a tap. been going there for over 30yrs now .
or near cedeira https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.6659791,-8.0689045,140m/data=!3m1!1e3
use street view and you will see the three font place.
another nice font /park place at fisterra a night or so ideal.
the real question is how long have you got. could spend years just following the coast.been doing it since a kid with my parents and still find new things to see. around every corner is a surprise.

Attachments

sundowners

Alan I see the latest pics you posted are dated 2010--------- things are changing especially in the Algarve, many of the wild camping places of years gone by and a lot of the fonts that we used years ago are no longer in use, I have no idea if that is because the water has been diverted or supply stopped to stop 'US' using them, but things are slower to change in other parts of the country so plenty of wild camping and water!!!!! -------- best stay well away from the Algarve if you still value your own space!!!!!! We haven't been for a couple of years now, when we do go there it will be mainly to visit old travelling friends who are living there!!!!

vwalan

yes i know . i havnt put any of the algarve as its one of those places we just pass through quick. ,havnt liked it there for at least ten years . i thought op. would get the message that the north coast and down the west coast is the place to be and thats what they were doing . i,m sure by the time they get down to the algarve they will say keep going and lets get on the south spanish coast again . mind even on the spanish med coast its not quite like it used to be . avoid tourist places and its ok. anyway in spring its nice to be a few miles inland for awhile . once on the upwards bits it gets nicer.
my pics are only old ones as they are what jan took when she was with me . i hardly take pics these days thats why i had to use google maps to show some places . once you have a pic i dont take more of the same place. alot of mine are on slides and my ex has them supposed to be getting them put on a disc but havnt got them yet.
i,m sure op. will have a good time even just following the coast, mind we have also spent months going through the middle of spain but not ideal in winter.

vwalan

of course the best places tourists should only go is the algarve .marbella,malaga ,benidorm . dont visit anywhere else you wont like it. hee hee

Cheers folks. We're on an Aire at Colombres tonight and will probably go up into the Picos tomorrow before coming back down to the coast. There is a campsite near the centre of Santiago de Compostela that we think we might use for a couple of nights, before then heading down the west coast of Portugal.

Longer term we're going to head down the west coast of Portugal (got friends in Porto and Lisbon we might visit) right to Sagres. Not really too bothered about the Algarve as we've holidayed their before (although 25 years ago!) so will probably just blat through there - back into Spain and then onto Gib.

BigMomma

When you visit Gib there is parking just outside the frontier crossing, you can walk across from there or alternatively go past the frontier and a short drive (200-300 metres) at the football stadium, there is an 'Aire' :thumb:

chrisjones18

When you visit Gib there is parking just outside the frontier crossing, you can walk across from there or alternatively go past the frontier and a short drive (200-300 metres) at the football stadium, there is an 'Aire' :thumb:
Eric, they stopped the parking on the waste ground just past the entrance to gib at the beginning of this year . You can park on the road in the day just past the second roundabout or as you say at the football stadium at anytime ( think it's €3 for 24hrs). There is also another aire before the border, though i wont advertise it as its run by my ex inlaws ( bunch of crooks)so take care if you go there. His name is Gustavo.
You can park in Gib, but it is ILLEGAL (all camping is) waste ground after the bike club just before Calletta hotel and by mosque on the point would be 2 places...... i didn't say them though.....
There are also a couple of cheapish campsites in la linea

BigMomma

Eric, they stopped the parking on the waste ground just past the entrance to gib at the beginning of this year . You can park on the road in the day just past the second roundabout or as you say at the football stadium at anytime ( think it's €3 for 24hrs). There is also another aire before the border, though i wont advertise it as its run by my ex inlaws ( bunch of crooks)so take care if you go there. His name is Gustavo.
You can park in Gib, but it is ILLEGAL (all camping is) waste ground after the bike club just before Calletta hotel and by mosque on the point would be 2 places...... i didn't say them though.....
There are also a couple of cheapish campsites in la linea
I wasn't meaning the waste ground, there is now a proper car parking (takes Motorhomes) behind a chain link fence which is virtually right next to the frontier crossing, I used it last year instead of taking the van onto Gibraltar, are you saying that this has been closed ?

Thanks for the advice - we weren't thinking we'd take the motorhome into Gib, but instead would maybe use a site nearby and take the motorbike in. Any advice for a site for that?

We're on a nice little site in the Picos de Europa tonight, before heading further west tomorrow probably.

pic03.jpg

Attachments

If it's too cold on the coast----- head into central Portugal it's warmer there!!!!!!!!!
I've got some friends to look up in Porto and Lisbon so will say near the coast until then - not sure where we'll go after Lisbon yet though. It's still been quite warm so far though!

chrisjones18

I wasn't meaning the waste ground, there is now a proper car parking (takes Motorhomes) behind a chain link fence which is virtually right next to the frontier crossing, I used it last year instead of taking the van onto Gibraltar, are you saying that this has been closed ?
That's the new Aire run by some tossers.i think it's around €15 .
You can park on the road just past the border turning, it is in front of the waste ground.just don't park on a blue line without paying.
Or park anywhere in front of the sea on the Spanish side, no restrictions there at this time.

chrisjones18

Thanks for the advice - we weren't thinking we'd take the motorhome into Gib, but instead would maybe use a site nearby and take the motorbike in. Any advice for a site for that?

We're on a nice little site in the Picos de Europa tonight, before heading further west tomorrow probably.

View attachment 2561
Football club Aire.
There ain't no showers mind. It is just an Aire.
Not used either of the 2 campsites, so can't help on that as our daughter lives there and we stay with her.

BigMomma

That's the new Aire run by some tossers.i think it's around €15 .
You can park on the road just past the border turning, it is in front of the waste ground.just don't park on a blue line without paying.
Or park anywhere in front of the sea on the Spanish side, no restrictions there at this time.
You are right about it being expensive !! The problem is that there are no parking rates displayed, you take a ticket at the entry barrier and then pay at a 'pay machine' prior to exit. Personally, next time I go in the van I would rather pay the €2-3 Euro for the football Aire, even if I didn't stay overnight. This Winter we are taking the car so we can just drive onto Gib and use the Morrisons car park which is free.

vwalan

what about the campsite just by the punta mala turn off just by alcaidesa ,cant think of its name at moment . there used to be a caravan on a hill by side of road advertising it . just north of la linea. mind there is always somewhere for the odd night on the ind estates etc .