Sad but True !

BigMomma

It is about 6 Degrees outside the van, but the sun is shining through the windows, it isn't raining and it is cosy sat here in the van with a nice steaming hot mug of coffee with the Satelite system working and listening to Radio 2 whilst browsing the forum. I could be anywhere, but alas I am parked up outside the house with the van plugged in to the mains. Why am I that sad ? (Lots of responses coming my way on that one :D). The truth is, we are still learning about features on the van we don't normally use e.g. the electric spcae heating ! When on a site we still tend to use the Gas to heat the van and the water so I have never really tested the electric heating on it's own to see how effective it is. So far so good, when I switched it on about half an hour ago the inside temperature was 9.3 and it is now showing 11.5. It is not as effective as the gas heating which starts blowing hot air within minutes but the main purpose was to check that the electric heating does work, so mission completed. Although I am enjoying just being sat in the van gongoozling at the activities of my neighbours as they go about their weekend routines :D The other task for today is to review the storage space inside the van and see how and where I could best utilise the space for fulltiming, rather than holidaying, needs. I must admit that I am spending more time just enjoying sitting here daydreaming, one day it will be for real, one day...............:(

snail

Hi Eric/Sharon, it won't be long time flys by, you have got a real nice van with no weight issues and bags of space, we have been tempted several times to buy an Autotrail tag, for us it's just a bit too long for turning into a five bar gateway from a single track road, which our cl's cs's seem to be, would have liked the Hymer s700 twin rear wheels, but far to expensive. We went to a Sunday market and had a hell of a job to come back home! sat in a field drinking tea! so just as sad as you.

Looks like we will be off in about 10 days, eldest son had a trial for a permanent job :), fingers crossed, Jan is getting to grips with her new dietry rules to help overcome her minor health issue :thumb:, I have just had my 6 monthly revue/tests for my type 2 diabetees :(, unfortunatley after being medication free for 12 months i need to go back on for my chloresteral and kidney function, still 2 pills a day ain't bad compared to some folks, biggest problem is my GP will only prescribe 2 months at a time :(, so will have to biuld a stock ready for winter in Spain ;)

So you dream all you like, plan, it will soon be here, by the way i liked the look of the Parc voyager campsite may use that on way south, got anymore little gems? will get the asci book later in year.

Wandering Star

Nothing sad about that BM.
Sounds like a sensible, practical and forward thinking strategy to me!
Best to figure out how all the bells and whistles work in the comfort of your own front yard, than to find out that you don't actually know about them when you are in the wild!
Back to the 6 'P's again! :)

coolasluck

Poor old BM,seems to me that you are as sad as me.
Always looking at vans online and searching for trucks e.t.c on ebay the latest thing has been looking into owning somewhere in the u.s:D

I do know why you do it though,it becomes obssesive at times but kind of keeps you sane whilst time goes by;)

BigMomma

Hi Eric/Sharon, it won't be long time flys by, you have got a real nice van with no weight issues and bags of space, we have been tempted several times to buy an Autotrail tag, for us it's just a bit too long for turning into a five bar gateway from a single track road, which our cl's cs's seem to be, would have liked the Hymer s700 twin rear wheels, but far to expensive. We went to a Sunday market and had a hell of a job to come back home! sat in a field drinking tea! so just as sad as you.

Looks like we will be off in about 10 days, eldest son had a trial for a permanent job :), fingers crossed, Jan is getting to grips with her new dietry rules to help overcome her minor health issue :thumb:, I have just had my 6 monthly revue/tests for my type 2 diabetees :(, unfortunatley after being medication free for 12 months i need to go back on for my chloresteral and kidney function, still 2 pills a day ain't bad compared to some folks, biggest problem is my GP will only prescribe 2 months at a time :(, so will have to biuld a stock ready for winter in Spain ;)

So you dream all you like, plan, it will soon be here, by the way i liked the look of the Parc voyager campsite may use that on way south, got anymore little gems? will get the asci book later in year.
Well the Van got up to a swealtering 20.8 degrees before I turned the electric heating off, although I think that the sun shining through the 2 large Heki skylights may also have had something to do with it :D Unfortunately it was getting a bit late, so like you at the Sunday Market had to come home, even if mine was literally stepping out of the van and through the back door ;)

Can't say that I am not envious that you will be away in 10 days but I think you are both deserving of a good break and I wish you both good health and a nice relaxing time :thumb: One of my colleagues is a Diabetic, he has been taken off the tablets but now onto the insulin injections :( You may find that a good bit of relaxation and a spell of winter sun may be better than any medication a Doc can prescribe :thumb::D

Can't remember if I said that we have actually booked for 3 nights at Parc Verger at the very start of our month long summer trip. Another good site is "Puyrond Camping", not as far South (Going there for 10 nights at Easter). It is located on the outskirts of the town of Bressuire which is walking distance along a river and around a lake. Bressuire is between Cholet & Parthanay so a decent stop before Parc Verger :thumb: The site only has 25 pitches, is run by and English couple and they have been extremely helpful with lots of my enquiries on the local area. There is also a rail station in Bressuire so you can leave the van parked up and still get out and about :thumb:

I have the ACSI DVD which is handy as you just load it onto the laptop and then it is easier to see sites at a glance rather than flicking through pages, also has a decent search facility, either by amenities, location (e.g. coast, lake, river, town etc) or by facilities on site, you can also select pitch size so you only sites that can accommodate your size of unit.

In a previous post sometime ago I listed a load of websites which are the ones I frequently use. If you didn't make a note of them or cannot find the post let me know and I will send you the web addresses :thumb:

BigMomma

Nothing sad about that BM.
Sounds like a sensible, practical and forward thinking strategy to me!
Best to figure out how all the bells and whistles work in the comfort of your own front yard, than to find out that you don't actually know about them when you are in the wild!
Back to the 6 'P's again! :)
Yes, some habits are hard to break :D I think that I am about there with all the bits and pieces now, it wast just the electric heating that I had never used and never really thought about until now. Was imagining ourselves full timing and as you do, get around to thinking about some economies whilst doing it. I know there will be a few responses like don't use sites and save your money but I was thinking, why use my reserves of gas when I will probably already have paid for the EHU as part of the pitch price :thumb: Was also looking at my (out of date) library of camping books (Bord Atlas, All the Aires - France, Spain, Portugal) and Camperstop and just really re-confirmed the plan when fulltiming to use more 'Free Camping' locations and/or Aires as opposed to now when we primarily use sites. That is apart from probably in winter when the cost of campsites in Southern Spain are so dirt cheap that it will be worth the money to stay on them and have all the facilities on hand, not just the site facilities but close to the beach, town, public transport etc. It may be a false sense of security but somehow I think I will feel more comfortable leaving the van to go off for a day's sightseeing or a day at the beach knowing the van is on an official site as opposed to leaving it parked up in a 'Free Camping' location. Probably just one of those foibles that I have and as it will be our only home as well as our mode of transport wouldn't feel comfortable disappearing off for the day and then worryong whether it will be there when we get back or whether we would have been broken into etc. Just some of the fears that as non-experienced fulltimers we have ;)

BigMomma

Poor old BM,seems to me that you are as sad as me.
Always looking at vans online and searching for trucks e.t.c on ebay the latest thing has been looking into owning somewhere in the u.s:D

I do know why you do it though,it becomes obssesive at times but kind of keeps you sane whilst time goes by;)
It is a way of keeping the dream a reality ;) I absolutely love this van, the layout is perfect for our needs, it is great to drive and I don't have any problems with the length of it. When it is being driven it is not an issue it is only when you come to turning down roads that you need to be aware that you are not driving a car and allow a slightly wider turning circle. You are right about the obsessions though, I can spend hours just sat in the van gazing out of the window, people who pass by and see me must thing I am a little odd (I know, if they actually knew me they would not 'think it but know it :D) the truth is I may be looking out of the window but in my mind I am many, many miles away :D

It doesn't cost you anything whilst you are looking and indeed it could cost you more if you didn't look and research beforehand and check out all the options. I would imagine that there could be nothing worse than spending all your hard earnt/saved cash on a vehicle only to find that if you had looked you would have got something that had a few extra's that would have made life more comfortable, had you known :( So, Fulltimers, Long Termers and those of us that just take holiday trips, keep posting on all the subjects under the sun so that we can all benefit from the wisdom, knowledge and experience out there :thumb::D

Wandering Star

BM, to be truthful, I look on my M/H as a 'SCUBA system' .All the time I am swimming on the surface I will use any and all resources to keep me going.
When I dive down I will rely on my M/H to support me!
So, for me, it's all about maintaining resources.
Use the campsites 'leccie and showers when I can (within budget), and use internal support when I am able!
It's just great that I have the choice of when to 'Dive' and when to swim topside!

And that should be enough 'Watery' 'Fish head' comments to appease the 'Pelmetten' when they surface!:rofl:

Wandering Star

Since Summer 2008! Think it was early June or thereabouts!

Edit # checking diary..it was late May!

Wandering Star

Firstly, not to rely on my iPhone to keep me connected! :mad: Oops! lost it there for a few mins!

OK, where do I want to go?
I really need to strike out all the places I have already been first!

I want to go to Easter Island! Those stone heads are just awesome!
I want to go to New Zealand! Hobbit chasing! :rofl:
I want to go to Bali! never actually made it there!

Apart from that...Been there..done that! (and if that sounds really pretentious, and there is probably lots of places I've never been but just can't think of !)

coolasluck

ID also like to got to easter island for the same reasons as you but to also go for the animal and birdlife that can be found there,doubt i will ever get there though as there does seem to be a lot of places we need to go first like all of europe first and the u.s:rofl:

Wandering Star

Coola! If you ever find the time to spare, I will happily get together and plan an exped to the Easters! :thumb:

coolasluck

Can we take our motorhomes:rofl:

coolasluck

If i remember rightly they allow only a limited number of people at a time on the island and you get to it by boat.

BigMomma

We have been using our more 'affluent' periods to travel to some of the more exotic locations, not for anything as noble as you two, just sun, sand and sea with a spot of snorkelling :D Would like to do the East-West Canadian rail journey linked perhaps with a spot of 'Orca' watching on Vancouver Island. I wouldn't mind doing a Motorhome tour of USA but would like to do it in my own van, which of course makes it an expensive option. We have talked abouth doing South Beach resort in Miami but always then opt for somewhere a bit more exotic. Possibly looking at Cuba next year but we shall have to see how healthy the holiday budget is. Have done New Zealand (North Island only), Australia, Jamaica, Mexico, Eygpt, Tunisia and Malta but time is running out because we will not be able to afford these extravagancies once we retire and go fulltiming :eek:

coolasluck

We have been, as i have said before,looking to see if we could buy a property in the u.s(cheaply of course)and use a motorhome to travel accross the u.s each year for periods.We would also like to do Canada although it can get bloody cold in the winter and rain a lot in the summer.Canada is a beautiful country .If you want to travel in a motorhome in the u.s then you are best of buying one and then selling before you go.This is not an option for us as it could be a risk if you cant sell quickly enough.Renting is out of the question also as it is stupid money.Your only alternative is to buy something there and go each year to do a tour .

The ideas and plans are plentiful but will the cost break us:D

BigMomma

We have been, as i have said before,looking to see if we could buy a property in the u.s(cheaply of course)and use a motorhome to travel accross the u.s each year for periods.We would also like to do Canada although it can get bloody cold in the winter and rain a lot in the summer.Canada is a beautiful country .If you want to travel in a motorhome in the u.s then you are best of buying one and then selling before you go.This is not an option for us as it could be a risk if you cant sell quickly enough.Renting is out of the question also as it is stupid money.Your only alternative is to buy something there and go each year to do a tour .

The ideas and plans are plentiful but will the cost break us:D
Just a suggestion Coola - go on to Amazon.co.uk and type in "RV Travel". You will find a plentiful list of books written by experienced travellers who advise on touring in RV's on a budget. One I believe is called "RV'ing Frugally", others are also available. They are serious books and show that you do not have to have wads of bucks to enjoy the lifestyle in USA :thumb:

Adverts