Retirement plan

Steve Wilson

Hi all,
I retired earlier this year and bought a motor home - a 7 metre long Fiat Ducato - and after a few long weekends in it to test the water I spent two months in Devon and Cornwall during the summer and really enjoyed it and found that I did not miss the four walls and possessions of my house. It is my first time in a motor home, but I have spent many holidays in tents of varying sizes and have always enjoyed the experience, though not always the weather! I am in the fortunate position of owning my own home, so my plan is to rent it out for six months, probably from the start of November, and then to take a ferry to Bilbao or somewhere near and spend the next month or so travelling south through Spain down to the coast and possibly then into Morocco. I will be travelling on my own, which is a bit daunting since my Spanish is fairly basic and would be interested to know if there are any well trodden routes that English speakers take to stop me from being too isolated. I don't want to travel through Spain in a kind of English bubble, but some idea of where I could meet up with other English speakers would be good.
I would appreciate any advice, encouragement or warnings from anyone out there who has experience of what I am about to let myself in for!

BwB

Hi Steve
Best advice? Just do it! Which you are, so that's a great start :)
Specific questions work best on this forum, you may not get a specific answer but even if the thread goes off-topic, it can sometimes be interesting. Sometimes :)
Keep us posted about what you're up to and we'll help where we can.

Steve Freeman

Welcome.
If you rent your house, that's great but unless it's to family, you can't use it for driving license, insurance, tax, credit cards and on, so you'll need another address, and need to be on the electoral roll there.
There are one or two people here that are big on Morocco who can tell you all about it.
I wouldn't worry about Spanish too much - you'll pick it up as you go along, and along the coasts, English is spoken by many locals. Actually, where I am at present, there are more English-speaking Spanish than there are English-speaking people in England as far as I can tell. Living in MH automatically puts you in a kind of bubble, nice as it is - don't worry about it.

Steve Wilson

Welcome.
If you rent your house, that's great but unless it's to family, you can't use it for driving license, insurance, tax, credit cards and on, so you'll need another address, and need to be on the electoral roll there.
There are one or two people here that are big on Morocco who can tell you all about it.
I wouldn't worry about Spanish too much - you'll pick it up as you go along, and along the coasts, English is spoken by many locals. Actually, where I am at present, there are more English-speaking Spanish than there are English-speaking people in England as far as I can tell. Living in MH automatically puts you in a kind of bubble, nice as it is - don't worry about it.
Thanks Steve,
I thought my plan had a pleasing siplicity to it:
1. Buy motorhome
2. Rent house
3. Drive off into the (warm) sunset
I had realised that I would need to get my mail redirected, and was going to use my son's address but he lives in a different town to me. Do you mean you have to be on the electoral role where your redirected mail goes? And if so, how do you get on the electoral role in a place you don't live?
My bank seems to be happy just to send correspondence to a second address, but perhaps I'm missing something.
It's great to have a forum where these things come up though as I would not have thought of this as a problem.

vwalan

hi, your son can put you on electoral role next time they send him the form.
its sometimes asked or looked at by insurers also helps if you need to prove you are english living in uk.
vehicle insurers very often dont cover fulltimers . i get 365 day eu cover but not for fulltimers . thats ok i live here . just go on long trips . driving licence requires an address , log book requires an address , some credits cards do. doctors , can cross you off if away too long or no address . even govt pensions etc may require an address .
many just fib.
but remember the fine could be 1000quid for wrong address on your licence ,
as quoted in the dvla d100 driving licence booklet.
you could be fined up to 1000 pounds if you do not tell us about a change in your name or address.
there are several threads on the form about address,s etc . might be worth a look through .

hpold

Hi welcome to the site just enjoy your trips and have a safe and happy journey at times things will turn to worms just sit down put the kettle on or open a bottle of plonk and things will look better. have a gander at set 365 stops update there is info there to help you with address etc A decal is below for you to put on your moho if you so wish save it then open in paint resize and print in good photo quality. below is a bit from 365stops.

Attachments

hpold

Hi welcome to the site just enjoy your trips and have a safe and happy journey at times things will turn to worms just sit down put the kettle on or open a bottle of plonk and things will look better. have a gander at set 365 stops update there is info there to help you with address etc A decal is below for you to put on your moho if you so wish save it then open in paint resize and print in good photo quality. below is a bit from 365stops.
Authorised motorhome service point and night stop
Stainland, West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom, HX4 9HF
vivo@cliffemanor.co.uk
07929 146 802
Private Aire, Overnight Parking is free.
Services for which extra charges are required in honesty box please:-
Electric Hook-up £2.50/night
Basic Services £2.
Enhanced Services £3/night
The owner is an avid motor homer so just give him a call . Just google cliff manor yorkshire Happy and safe Journeys .

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve Freeman

Alan is bang-on. His dementia (as claimed in his signature) means he has forgotten to expand on "Maroc" for your benefit, but about which he has bags of experience. :)

For electoral roll, change you details here - https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
The address you supply will probably be your son's from what you say. I forget if they send anything in the post that you have to send back by way of confirmation - it's been a while.... Maybe it says on the website.
Also, as you are going abroad where it is cheaper to live, get an EHIC card here - http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

vwalan

maroc is ok . i just dont think its as good as it was. but there is loads of places to park .
friends still do it every winter .only campsite we used was in el jahdida because it was close to town and had grass . i say go down the west coast in mid december and then up the middle and the desert side on the way north . use carlos for tickets at polmones ind estate near lidl and carrefore
about 40,000 vans hit maroc between nov and march. so the maroc tourist board tell us . its true for sure .
water is getting a bit harder as all houses now have taps inside . before street taps ruled , but its possible to get it . have fun pm me if you need more i can talk maroc for hours .
i can also help with the ferry to spain if you want to go that way . or france with brittany f.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigMomma

Hi all,
I retired earlier this year and bought a motor home - a 7 metre long Fiat Ducato - and after a few long weekends in it to test the water I spent two months in Devon and Cornwall during the summer and really enjoyed it and found that I did not miss the four walls and possessions of my house. It is my first time in a motor home, but I have spent many holidays in tents of varying sizes and have always enjoyed the experience, though not always the weather! I am in the fortunate position of owning my own home, so my plan is to rent it out for six months, probably from the start of November, and then to take a ferry to Bilbao or somewhere near and spend the next month or so travelling south through Spain down to the coast and possibly then into Morocco. I will be travelling on my own, which is a bit daunting since my Spanish is fairly basic and would be interested to know if there are any well trodden routes that English speakers take to stop me from being too isolated. I don't want to travel through Spain in a kind of English bubble, but some idea of where I could meet up with other English speakers would be good.
I would appreciate any advice, encouragement or warnings from anyone out there who has experience of what I am about to let myself in for!
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum :thumb: You may be interested in parts of my blog in respect of travels through Portugal, Spain and very recently, Morocco. :thumb:

hertsmas

The mail isnt as big an issue as some make out. With a bit of planning you can make most things E-Mail only in preperation including all bank matters. Redirect to your sons and if you've done what I said then he'll get more of your junk mail than any real worthwhile mail. I'm speaking as someone currently on a redirection and not his first. Electoral role you can be at your sons quite legitimately at least for several months see how you go and worry about that one again later.

I strongly regret not having zoomed off earlier ( I'm 50). Best of luck whatever you choose.

Mas

Steve Freeman

Yes Mas is right - you only need a bit of internet access and you can do pretty much everything. We don't even use our phone.

It's all about proper pre-organization....

We choose to stay on sites (a.k.a. prison camps) which makes many things much easier. Anything we need, we just click and get delivered and pick up from reception. For example my wife wanted a specific type and colour of Crocs - turned out the cheapest solution was to order from USA; shipped same day; will be in the reception (or Chief Warden's) office in a week or two (with the Red Cross parcels).

vwalan

you can use poste restante in just about any country in the world .
just use the postoffice address . used it loads of times .
folk have been travelling around for years ,way before internet etc .
its not difficult to receive parcels or other items .
anyone would think travelling is a new idea . its only twenty or so years ago some countries got mobile telephones .

Steve Freeman

The thread wasn't just about parcels, it's things like sorting banks, pensions, tax returns, ISAs etc.

Nobody is saying you can't do anything without the Internet. But it seem to me that the internet saves loads of time and hassle (more time in the sun, or drinking?), or at least it does if like me, you've been using it/working on the technology of it since before it was available to the public! :)

vwalan

but all those can be easily just left to the bank.
tax returns havent got any.
pensions go into bank. isa,s get rid of them waste of time.
really is no need for internet. its handy for chatting . mind i find abroad if i can get it for free then ok if not then dont have it .
mind its free here as well.

Steve Freeman

Well, we live differently, and the cost of the internet pays for itself many times over.

By the way, on the subject of dementia, you do recall selling your rig last week to my mate, in exchange for that canoe in Greenland?

vwalan

its ok i have connections in greenland for when i,m father christmas.
its good you can enjoy it if you want it .
other than forums or looking on ebay . occasionally a google for something internet does nothing for me .
it has passed on information i might not have known about i admit , it does have uses . but tx on a mobile is and as worked fine for me abroad for years .
i refuse to bank tax vehicles or do anything on the internet that i used to do at the post office etc . or going to the bank . or book hospital dates ,dentists ,doctors etc even buying i usually ring to order . and want a invoice sent .
keeps people in jobs .

Adverts