Remotely monitoring against damp

Discussion in 'Fulltimer's Motorhomes' started by brightspice, Jul 20, 2018.

1. brightspice

brightspice New Member

I'm new to motorhoming (is this even used as a verb?) and have already suffered the consequences of leaks and condensation causing damp :-(

I was wondering if a (portable/not permanently installed) remote readable temperature/humidity/motion sensor product is being used by anyone? When I'm in the motorhome I can see what's going on, but when it's not in use I’d love an easy way to see what conditions inside are like to guard against developing problems (like new leaks appearing!)

I know I could install a wifi-type thermostat, but this is a 'project' and quite expensive. Besides wifi-thermostats also require mains hook-up, which I've already found isn't always available. I want something simple that works by plugging into the mains/a cigarette socket, uses a Pay As You Go SIM, and allows me to monitor conditions through an app of some kind.

Are we the only ones to suffer from this and does anyone have any pointers? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting my husband to pull together a solution when he next has time on his hands!

Many thanks

2. Ramblin' Rose

Ramblin' Rose New Member

Can't help with that but welcome anyway.

3. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :thumb: Can you tell us a little bit about your Motorhome, what make ? what year ? how long have you owned it ? If recently purchased was this a private sale or from a dealer ?

You say leaks and condensation, leaks can be resolved if you know where they are coming from and I would suggest this problem would be the most urgent to identify and resolve. Condensation can be dealt with in several ways, both whilst you are using it or whilst it is stood unused for long periods, without the need for hi-tech devices which generally are not required. We often store our van over the Winter period from November to March, we have a 'genuine' paragon silver screen which really does prevent condensation from forming on the inside of windows and we use two humidifiers (very cheap) which we place in the van to collect moisture (the crystal type not electronic), works perfectly :thumb: Not wishing to try to teach you to 'suck eggs' but when using your van, especially during cooler months, ventilation is the key, so if it is too cold to have doors or windows open when cooking then open the skylights sufficient to allow air to circulate.

4. brightspice

brightspice New Member

Many thanks for your responses. We have an RV which is 12 years old. I think we've caught most of the cracks in the roof, but I'm sure in time we'll have more to deal with :). The idea of putting in dehumidifiers is a good one as a way of extracting the moisture.

And thanks for the warm welcome! Have lovely weekends

5. SteveG

SteveG Member

We leave dehumidifiers in our motorhome whenever it's left long term and that seems to work.