quiet on here?

Discussion in 'Under the Awning' started by snail, Dec 6, 2017.

1. snail

snail Well-Known Member

Christmas is just round the corner, I know this because I came out of Asda yesterday with hot cross buns!

Another years gone by and we are having a family Christmas at home this year, must admit its not been too bad in UK so far? still getting out on scoot although got winter bike gear on now and avoiding the leaves, manhole covers!

Jan got herself a little xmas job in town few hours a week at a card shop, while I have been doing the decorating at home mostly, it's been ten years since the last paint brush was out!

Had a day out at Birmingham Xmas market which was a bit of a flop, ok if you wanted to drink all day! but it was close to the bull ring and normal markets which made up for it, meat and fish market was brilliant.

Used National express coach service to get there, which at £24.60 return for us wasn't bad? Gloucester market in the docks was as popular as ever and seems to be growing in size and status.

So what are your plans, those in the sun and the home birds, anyone staying in UK on a campsite for the winter?

stay safe, enjoy and be good or he won't come, don't forget to feed his Robin!

snail

coolasluck likes this.
  2. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

Had my knee operation two weeks ago, now waiting for Post-Op appointment then hopefully Southbound to warmer climes :thumb::cool: Currently in Edinburgh on Club site meeting up with friends. The site is well busy. Spent day in City at Christmas Market which is one of the best I have ever been to, my knee held up better than expected :eek: Leave here on Friday and then a few days on another club site in North Yorkshire :thumb::thumb:

snail likes this.
  3. Easyliving

Easyliving Active Member

Yes, yet another Christmas. As we don't officially retire till about April /May 2018 we still have to stay fairly near work. We are still fulltiming in our van and find we are very warm and cosy parked up on a very pleasant campsite near Thetford Forest.

Soon as work is finished we will be off though. Only plans at the moment are for a tour round some of the places we have never been to in the UK before heading south to Spain and Portugal for a bit of Winter warmth, hopefully.

Have a good Christmas everyone, wherever you are.

Paul

BigMomma likes this.
  4. snail

snail Well-Known Member

We have had our first snowfall here, Gloucester, just a sprinkling slushy mess on the road, supposed to last all day?

Don't think the scoot will out today!

5. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

been a bit windy but blue sky and dry at moment here . so far coldest night has been +1.3 c but lately its been 5c during the night about 7-8 in day. mind should the sun hit my outside temp gauge it shows more for 20minutes but that doesnt count really.
    was a bit of sleet the other day but gone as soon as it landed . friday that was . if you blinked you might have missed it .

6. BigMomma

In Doncaster at the moment, forecast is for Heavy Snow lasting all day, depending on which met forecast you look at that is :wasntme: Few very light flurries at the moment. Hopefully, will be on the ferry to Bilbao on Wednesday :thumb:

snail likes this.
  7. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

if you are near warmsworth drop in to lordshead lane and say hello.
    i used to live there .
    i remember winters as a small kid .
    going to hill 60 up by sprotborough woods and if you were lucky you could sledge down the hill and even cross the frozen river at the bottom of the hill.
    hope you get better soon bm.
    we dont want any limp excuses from you though . hee hee .
    just checked outside temp was 8.7 c coldest last night and showing 9.8c just a few mins ago.
    might be a nice winter after all.

8. BigMomma

Thank you Alan :thumb: Having a couple of rest days before a lot of driving on Tuesday, Boston first for hospital appointment then down to Portsmouth. Will sleep on the Port overnight :thumb: Good 24 hour rest on ferry then 10 hour drive down to the apartment but Sharon and I will share the driving.

You decided to stay at home this Winter then ?

9. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

you know what its like , sometimes things have to be sorted here . might get away after xmas . was going to get a flight for a few weeks to gambia but then decided be here and spend xmas with the grandkids . the eldest is almost a double of me as a 13yr old . was looking at old photos with them the other day and its incredible . mind the youngest looks like my brother did .
    i,m sure i,m turning into my dad , he got fed up of travelling later in life . i might be going that way. these days i enjoy riding or driving around here and i,m sure the scenery is as good as being away. different slightly but as good . dont have to leave the village to have great sea views etc . shame the snow capped mountains have now been grassed over but some are still there to be seen from all over cornwall.
    they havnt burnt the moorland round here for a few years and the green around here is best i,ve ever seen it just lately.
    even get red deers just outside the village that are friendly . and the fox,s and badgers are certainly getting more .
    have a good one . be careful though with the leg.

snail likes this.
  10. BigMomma

We too like the UK :thumb: When we do finally retire properly we want to tour around the whole of the UK and Ireland as well as travelling around Europe, just hoping the knee's last :giggle: The only downside to the UK is the unreliable weather, that's why Spain is good in the Winter. But even in Summer here, you just don't know what your going to get :wasntme: anyway, have a Good Christmas and enjoy the time with your Grandkids :thumb:

vwalan likes this.
  11. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

Currently at Tor de sal with dunroamin.
    It's 18 or 19 degrees here having a quiet day with some Germans playing an accordion,a flute and a guitar. Almost like a 365 band. Dunroamin has caught a cold so will be laying low I guess. Mind the amount of people taking pictures of their van I suspect could get irritating at times and I would be laying low lol.
    We had a mouse visit us at Deltebre but evicted it during a late night eviction process. !!

snail likes this.
  12. coolasluck

Shame your not here Alan enjoying the winter sun.

13. snail

snail Well-Known Member

What miss this lovely weather! IMG_20171210_133535.jpg

coolasluck likes this.
  14. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

just been for a nice drive out . up the hills above belowda a village by here . overlook the sea on the north coast and a view back over the clay hills here . really nice sunny and about 10c.
    had a peak on the live cam from chilches earlier it looked more cloudy there than here .
    there are alot of live cameras now overlooking the med coast of spain.
    bobs not far away from you at casa blanca water stop . but i belive going back to la lossa soon .
    must be orange time .hee hee .
    but really its been nice here lately. will i think get worse as winter comes along but i,m enjoying it. looking at spain on the telly at moment ,up by emba de vinuela . selling houses .
    nice up around there . used to stop there on the way down from alhama de granada hot springs to malaga.
    but drive safe all of you.

coolasluck and snail like this.
  15. coolasluck

Down to my last orange.Best get down to chilches for the orange pile lol

snail likes this.
  16. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

8 inches in the forest yesterday, could not go anywhere.. just got back from Spain in time before all the roads were impassable.. ok today though with care..
    talking to my children in Spain about Brexit and they have found out how to stay----- passport from Ireland

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Pinball Wizard likes this.
  17. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

nice again here 11.4 on my outside temp gauge . was 4,2c in night . and was rain in night . but now no wind sunny just had a ride out to enjoy the local views . the sea looked really calm and blue over newquay way. didnt see it on soputh coast as i didnt go enough along the road. but been bodmin ,bugle and stenaleese it was lovely.
    no snow just nice weather. mind it would be nicer if ten degrees more .
    but lovely bright sunshine .

18. coolasluck

8 inches ey Chris.I bet that's not what the rest of us would think:D.
    We will wait and see about brexit but we are fortunate enough to have Irish grand parents on the wife's side so that would be the route we would go too:thumb:

chrisjones18 likes this.
  19. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

20. adonisito

adonisito Member

Well, survived a real soaking here in N Portugal last night, gales, rocking van, holding on to hab. door when taking the dog out, door would have been torn off if I didn't. Trundled around Gadis this morning to get the grub and now in Boiro, Galicia, with a bit of sun. We'll head back to France for Christmas on the aire at Moissac. Thought I had fixed the leaky awning screw but last night really tested it and it failed. Think I'll replace it ( the screw, not the awning)
    Still, 5 months in, got to fly back for hospital appt. in January but don't want to. Off to Valencia then.