Putting a toe in the water

vwalan

had them but took them out as i dont like them and as my vehicle doesnt require them .
many drive older classic vehicles just so they dont need them .
seat belts can cause injury as well as stop some injury.
six of one half a dozen of the other.

chrisjones18

My point about calor is it's what they say, not the law..
If you read everything that is written on the internet about calor bottles they make it sound like you can over fill them and they then explode...
What a load of old tosh... they have a safety valve.
The bit about painting it, is so nosey bugger can't go " look at him filling a calor bottle"
Internet is full of do-gooders
I don't mean you Eric!

vwalan

the lpg pumps are. supposed to turn off at 90% full pressure .
mind when my tank here is filled up the drivers can keep it just filling and get 95% full. thats my house tank.
even the big tank as a safety pressure valve .
like i say they leave filled bottles in the sahara desert for the local villagers to pick up on delivery day . havnt seen or heard any explode.
back in the 80,s i used to take filler adaptors to spain etc and let the filling depots have them so they could fill uk bottles . the old depot by the beach in malaga filled loads of uk bottles with one. i used to get my bottled filled for free for several years by them. it got knocked down in the late 90,s ,shame.

BigMomma

My point about calor is it's what they say, not the law..
If you read everything that is written on the internet about calor bottles they make it sound like you can over fill them and they then explode...
What a load of old tosh... they have a safety valve.
The bit about painting it, is so nosey bugger can't go " look at him filling a calor bottle"
Internet is full of do-gooders
I don't mean you Eric!
:D Never been called a do-gooder in my life Chris :eek: Argumentative, pedantic maybe, and they are my good points :giggle: As you say, and not only Calor, but gas cylinders have a safety device to prevent overfilling, with a Gaslow cylinder you can only fill to 80%. The good thing about forums is that everyone is entitled to express their own opinions and views, there can be discussions and even debate over Pro's and Con's, the 'regulars' on this particular forum I think know each other and sometimes comments and quips are meant to try and encourage wider discussion by 'other' forum members, sometimes such comments and quips can just be a little mischievous and no harm or insult is intended :thumb: The manufacturer of a product, whatever that may be, may stipulate certain conditions of use, if damage, destruction, injury or fatality occurs by non-compliance then the Company cannot be held liable against such events, however, manufactures must comply with the legal requirements to ensure their products are safe to use and should provide instructions on such use, do's and dont's. If a user of such products decides to ignore such advice, guidance or instruction they do so at their own risk. Why does that sound like teaching people to 'suck eggs', sorry :think:

Last edited:

BigMomma

the lpg pumps are. supposed to turn off at 90% full pressure .
back in the 80,s i used to take filler adaptors to spain etc and let the filling depots have them so they could fill uk bottles .
I think the words you used there Alan sums it up precisely, the words 'Supposed to', machines can be adjusted (or even tampered with) to do things they are not supposed to. The thing is, things change, what happened 30 years ago is not always acceptable, legal, morally right etc. these days. Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying that all 'change' is a good thing, but there are so many 'Ambulance Chasers' in the world today, unless companies provide clear instructions about the use of their products someone will do something, often by failing to apply simple common sense, injure themselves, other's, cause damage to property and then cry 'foul' against the product manufacturer and expect large compensation pay outs. At the end of the day, people do what they do, some have expertise and knowledge, many don't.

Dunroamin

As far as I know in GB "Weights and Measures check and control the pumps and lead seals are affixed to prevent tampering.European mainland no idea.But as you say there are them as can and the others. Years ago nearly everyone who went South relied upon campsite owners or local garages to fill their bottles.

vwalan

in morocco its at a high price compared to exchanging their own bottles .
got to being over twice the price last time i was there. mind i have had a maroc bottle for years .
easy to transfer into other bottles if need be .
for users of camping gas bottles it makes them very good in morocco. no huge price change its priced at same per litre as a big bottle. was under a quid when i was last there for a 907 bottle.

chrisjones18

He'll Eric, you don't half get the wrong idea.
I did not make my comment towards you. It was general.
There was no mention in teaching you to suck eggs.
By the way cxalxr (fed up of their name) is 80% same as all the others.
They work on the same princable as s fuel pump.

BigMomma

There is some communication cross wires going on here Chris. My response re: Internet do-Gooders was in response to you saying 'I didn't mean you Eric', I didn't take the remark as personally directed towards me and my response was supposed to be a tongue in cheek humourous response, but it got lost in translation somewhere :wasntme: The comment about 'teaching people to suck eggs' was my apology to other readers for rambling on and perhaps stating the obvious, not you teaching me to suck eggs :giggle:

chrisjones18

No problems my luvver, is that west country, 'cause that's where you are now.
The written word so ago es comes out wrong (sometimes)
I couldn't say about gas before as Sally used to sell it...she has now retired...
I on the other hand always stick my foot in things, so thought I came across as blaming you....

BigMomma

That is one of the problems of written communications, they can be mis-read or mis-interpreted at times, whereas if you were speaking face to face you can see the facial expressions, see the smiles and hear the laughter :thumb: But pleased we got that sorted out :clap::whew:

vwalan

anyone got one of these off ebay.
bet you can save a shilling with one of these .
adaptors needed for abroad.
mind i use a spanish bottle when in spain.

We've been too busy moving out of our London house to do much with the motorhome prep, however that's the move completed now and the motorhome handed in to get the solar panels fitted, the Gaslow system fitted, a habitation service plus the necessary electrical work to upgrade the leisure battery capacity.

After that it's booked in for a vehicle service early next week, so hopefully we should be good to go within the next couple of weeks.

I've been quiet due to all the time spent clearing out our London house and combining the contents of it into our Edinburgh house - but are close to the end of that now. Progress has been made on the motorhome prep though, with the Gaslow system fitted along with the solar panels and upgraded battery capacity. The guy that did the work recommended putting the LPG filler in the gas locker door and that's turned out neater than I expected:
gas01.jpg
In the end I decided to go with a single 11kg Gaslow bottle plus a 13kg propane bottle as a backup - if it doesn't work out it'll be easy enough to add a 2nd Gaslow one anyway.
gas02.jpg I haven't had much of a chance to play with the solar panel stuff yet but the controller, which is hidden away in one of the cupboards, seems to be showing the battery as charging and it's nice that it also shows stuff like the battery voltage and temperature:
sol01.jpg
The motorhome was also back with Ford to get it's 20,000 mile service so fingers crossed should pretty much be good to go now.

We've still got a little bit of tidying up to do before heading away but hopefully should be setting off on Sunday night or on Monday. No definite plans yet except for a few days in a CS in Epping while we go to a comedy gig (Kevin Bridges) in London. Prior to that we'll either wild camp or Britstop our way down from Edinburgh then after the concert head through the Chunnel to France. I suspect our first stop their will be one of the Aire's we've used before (possibly Le Touquet or maybe Provins) but will do some more planning as we go along.

coolasluck

I take it that the gas locker has been vented in the door!!?