Project Freedom...

Hi all! My husband, Phill, and I have decided to spend the next 2 years saving, decluttering, selling up and shipping out! We can't wait to start living our dream. Absolutely loving this site and look forward to getting to know you.

vwalan

hi welcome . plenty to read .
all try to help.
i cant declutter or sell up. i like having lots junk around . ha ha .
mind i do like long terming away.
have fun .
cheers alan .

BigMomma

When you 'de clutter' don't think 'Council Skip' think "Car Boot Sales, Gumtree, EBay" these things will seriously 'Add' to your savings and bring you that little bit closer to 'Living Your Dream'. Remember, a dream remains a dream until 'you' turn it into reality :thumb:

vwalan

many dont dream though they fantasize . thats a totally different thing .
far better to just live .

When you 'de clutter' don't think 'Council Skip' think "Car Boot Sales, Gumtree, EBay" these things will seriously 'Add' to your savings and bring you that little bit closer to 'Living Your Dream'. Remember, a dream remains a dream until 'you' turn it into reality :thumb:
Absolutely! I've already sold quite a bit on eBay and I'm leaving the money to build up in my Paypal account - so satisfying! Have also listed quite a bit on freecycle to repay all the things I've claimed from that site over the years!

many dont dream though they fantasize . thats a totally different thing .
far better to just live .
You're so right! Not sure why I used that 'live the dream' cliche!! Our minds are made up though and I can't really see anything in our way - but I agree, living every day is what counts ... It's just that we're living with a goal in mind!

BigMomma

We sold our house and all our possessions nearly 3 years ago so I know what it's like, but driving off the drive for the last time, with no Mortgage, Council Tax etc. etc. etc. was such a liberating feeling :thumb: I started writing my blog the day the 'For Sale' sign went up, address is below if you want to have a read ;)

vwalan

i watched my parents friends that full timed years ago. we just had long trips often . i decided kids young . save hard . mind i did travel often . but at 43 gave up fulltime work . went off to drive around africa . had to come back to sort problems in uk with the lads etc . but since then only twice have i stopped in uk in winter .
got divorced but kept the house . shame really we are still friends but my ex doesnt like traveling for so long . likes holidays . not months traveling .
i knew as a teenager what i wanted to do. my kids knew and still cant understand their mum .
but not to worry . away in winter is my life . here in summer i love .
best of it all i love here and away .
have thought about moving abroad . but didnt . now i find the more i travel the more i like uk.

We sold our house and all our possessions nearly 3 years ago so I know what it's like, but driving off the drive for the last time, with no Mortgage, Council Tax etc. etc. etc. was such a liberating feeling :thumb: I started writing my blog the day the 'For Sale' sign went up, address is below if you want to have a read ;)
I can't see your blog address? I'd love to have a read - I was thinking of starting a video diary to chart our journey.

i watched my parents friends that full timed years ago. we just had long trips often . i decided kids young . save hard . mind i did travel often . but at 43 gave up fulltime work . went off to drive around africa . had to come back to sort problems in uk with the lads etc . but since then only twice have i stopped in uk in winter .
got divorced but kept the house . shame really we are still friends but my ex doesnt like traveling for so long . likes holidays . not months traveling .
i knew as a teenager what i wanted to do. my kids knew and still cant understand their mum .
but not to worry . away in winter is my life . here in summer i love .
best of it all i love here and away .
have thought about moving abroad . but didnt . now i find the more i travel the more i like uk.
I think we will try to winter abroad. My only concern is my son, James, he's nearly 20 but he's severely autistic. I know he's settled and happy in his home but I still get big stabs of guilt at the thought of being away from him for long periods.

BigMomma

I can now understand where Alan is coming from and there are many ways to enjoy this 'Nomadic' lifestyle. However, as I have discovered, you should always maintain a 'flexible' approach and don't worry about what other people 'say' or 'think' if you opt to change from the initial Blue print. Enjoyment is about doing what 'you' want to do and as I quite often say, there is no right or wrong way :thumb:

vwalan

I think we will try to winter abroad. My only concern is my son, James, he's nearly 20 but he's severely autistic. I know he's settled and happy in his home but I still get big stabs of guilt at the thought of being away from him for long periods.
yes our youngest was 20 when we set off for africa . a couple of years ago he came away with me for the winter . he had just fallen out with his partner . as it is i now dont see three of my grand kids . but we do have to live our lives . i have an old 1978 motor caravan magazine with a story of traveling in it . my kids thought of it as my winter bible .
i still keep it as it was what i wanted to do.
i was fortunate that i could watch my parents friends and see or make up my mind early in life .

I can now understand where Alan is coming from and there are many ways to enjoy this 'Nomadic' lifestyle. However, as I have discovered, you should always maintain a 'flexible' approach and don't worry about what other people 'say' or 'think' if you opt to change from the initial Blue print. Enjoyment is about doing what 'you' want to do and as I quite often say, there is no right or wrong way :thumb:
I agree - Phill (my husband) is happy to never plan anything and couldn't care less what anyone thinks but I think I'll need to learn to be more flexible and strong minded! There is still that little voice that says 'but our friends and family will think we're crazy!'

BigMomma

One of the things that you will discover is that Europe is quite a small area, there are lots of Airpirts where you can fly from/to if you want/need to get back to UK. There are places where you can securely 'park' your Motor Home it's only generally a 3 hour flight :thumb: Remember that a 'problem' is only really a 'solution' waiting to be discovered ;)

vwalan

my parents had friends that lived in m,homes . old buses ,tents . you name it .
heres a couple of pics of my parents old bus . in it me, my gran ,my mum and my brother
he is on my grans lap. we had some great trips in that one .
mind we also took vw,s old commers ,bedford ca vans . and tents .

Attachments

yes our youngest was 20 when we set off for africa . a couple of years ago he came away with me for the winter . he had just fallen out with his partner . as it is i now dont see three of my grand kids . but we do have to live our lives . i have an old 1978 motor caravan magazine with a story of traveling in it . my kids thought of it as my winter bible .
i still keep it as it was what i wanted to do.
i was fortunate that i could watch my parents friends and see or make up my mind early in life .
I'm so happy to have found this site so I can be inspired by people like yourself who 'went for it' - do you ever have times when you regret your decision?

BigMomma

I agree - Phill (my husband) is happy to never plan anything and couldn't care less what anyone thinks but I think I'll need to learn to be more flexible and strong minded! There is still that little voice that says 'but our friends and family will think we're crazy!'
But you are !! But it's a wonderful sort of crazy :clap: