Prescriptions When Traveling Abroad

Steve Freeman

Sounds like Alan is on his knees on the carpet again. Only four more times today to go!
Probably facing Mecca or was that Mevagissey?

vwalan

sorry i,m not Muslim.
i,m antaganostic ,its a very select religion.
we fit in with any other religion as and when it suits . or maybe not. ha ha .

Steve Freeman

Do they allow alcohol in the "Antagonist" Sect? I might join, but only as a Bishop.

vwalan

yes alcohol is allowed . there arent any bishops , there is no need for persons like them.
we can eat pork and beef /cow . lamb etc fish also. some vegetables arent allowed . and blue cheese is banned .
there are certain tests to join. are you any good at sweeping up or scrubbing dustbins out ?
you do have to start with menial tasks to begin with.

Steve Freeman

No blue cheese? Count me out. Besides, my butler duties keep me too busy on the van, while I let my wife provide me with beer tokens....

vwalan

well you may have problems then when the arabs take over europe .
i heard you dont do butler duties your just under the thumb . but dont worry we wont tell everyone . i,ll keep it quiet.
yes we cant eat garlic , no blue cheese as its got penicillin in it. . no being shot with a silver bullet or having wooden stakes driven through our hearts .
or having cross,s forced on us .
but never mind . we have bloody good fun .

maddy

Change of subject a bit is it worth me getting a catalyst heater? If yes what's a good one to buy? I need it in the garage its getting way too cold i can also use it in the truck when its finished.

hpold

No because it causes damp . Either use an electric heater or use a closed gas heater as in motor homes or fit a diesel heater with a separate tank as it is then vat free. Depends on how much cash you have.

hpold

Use this one ,
Truma S 3004 (P) Truma S 5004 Truma S 2200
Type of gas Liquid gas (propane/butane) Liquid gas (propane/butane) Liquid gas (propane/butane)
Operating pressure 30 mbar 30 mbar 30 mbar
Rated thermal output 3500 W 6000 W 1850 W
Gas consumption 30–280 g/h 60–480 g/h 50–170 g/h
Weight (without fan) ca. 10,3 kg ca. 17,5 kg ca. 6,7 kg
Dimensions (L x W x H) (including fan & control panels) 500 x 371 x 545 mm

Additional benefits
  • Always ready for use, works even without electricity
  • Flat cover, therefore more space in the interior
  • Available in a choice of titanium grey or pearl grey
  • Costs £331 inc vat
  • The flue kit is £84 inc vat all from leisureshopdirect.com

maddy

There is a gas heater in the truck already, but im after a heater for the garage that i can make use of in the truck if need be

Sorry i meant to say i live in a cold damp garage so need heat to keep warm.

Last edited:

hpold

There is a gas heater in the truck already, but im after a heater for the garage that i can make use of in the truck if need be

Sorry i meant to say i live in a cold damp garage so need heat to keep warm.
Do you live in the garage or the truck ? You have two different sizes in cu ft . Or do you have the truck in the garage ? only a spaceheater will help in the garage or one that runs off old engine oil to heat the garage.

coolasluck

No because it causes damp . Either use an electric heater or use a closed gas heater as in motor homes or fit a diesel heater with a separate tank as it is then vat free. Depends on how much cash you have.

If your thinking of using a webasto or eber with red diesel dont bother.Use kerosine or normal diesel only.

maddy

I live in a garage not converted, my truck is stored 20 miles away, and i try and work on it when i can, bit hard as i have no car so have to borrow one. As i have got some gas cylinders i thought i could use them to run some sort of heater, that i can also use in the truck, nothing big just need some heat as its cold at night, so thought a catalyst heater might be of some use but i dont know nothing about them and dont want to wast money. I have an electric heater but they cost too much to run.

Steve Freeman

I live in a garage not converted, my truck is stored 20 miles away, and i try and work on it when i can, bit hard as i have no car so have to borrow one. As i have got some gas cylinders i thought i could use them to run some sort of heater, that i can also use in the truck, nothing big just need some heat as its cold at night, so thought a catalyst heater might be of some use but i dont know nothing about them and dont want to wast money. I have an electric heater but they cost too much to run.
I haven't done the sums, but heating a large space with gas will use gas very fast, and so may not be that cheap. Up in the Highlands many people have LPG tanks (for cookers & hobs, and maybe as a backup I think), but as far as I can tell they seem to use oil or electricity for heating their homes, and not necessarily the gas, so I assume even if they buy big quantities of gas, it's not cheaper.

And bear in mind that burning most fuels creates water as a by-product, so unless you have an indirect system you'll get damp. An indirect system being like a home boiler where the water vapour & poisonous gases exit through an external exhaust, and water goes round through a heat exchanger and then to radiators.

maddy

Its not so much to heat the whole garage as im in a sleeping bag i just need some back ground heat on me I,m using a Clarke Devil 6002 2kw and although it gets hot i find it crap for expelling the air, so maybe i should just go get one of them little fans heaters £20 or so mind they still 2kw but air flow would be better. If i got to spend some money i thought i'd get a gas one then i could use it in the truck if ever the fitted one in there goes caputt

vwalan

in many country places lpg is the main heating for water and central heating . i use it here . its not that expensive if you have a big tank. mines 1200litres .
maddy wants to heat a small garage by his dads . about the size of one room. ideally a wood burner would be the kiddy but iimagine its not possible because of where they are and it would require a chimney.
my gas tank is getting low and as i dont want to fill it before i leave i,m using a caravan fire and a red propane bottle its not as damp as most imagine . i just heat the one room as and when . i use catalytic heater in my truck its ideal . fits on the wall is very small and heats the truck up very quickly . i do open a window a bit for ventilation .
we were on open fires here years ago ,changed to a rayburn type but still messy and not cheap to run. twenty 3 years ago changed to lpg . for heating cooking etc . its actually cheaper than coal and electric for cooking .
there are restrictions as where you can have a tank.
did change to a modern combi boiler two years ago. cost about 1200 quid with a repipe and a couple of new radiators . plus a new fire in the front room.
cant complain the other lasted along time .
town gas would be cheaper but there isnt any here .
the new estate across the road it seems like town gas but the whole estate is fed by big underground lpg tanks . each house has a meter just like town gas.

chrisjones18

the cheapest option if the garage is attached to the house and the house has central heating would be to add another radiator in the garage.
next best is get the truck finished asap as it will be a lot colder by the end of sept.
my cure [while I can still afford it] is to go to Australia for a while................sorry, but I hate the cold and damp and the pain is horrendous , not that this is any help to you

vwalan

its like every thing lining the garage with a plastic membrane and celotex would be a good move .
but once in the truck it will be better.
there is rumor,that anyone going to australia will not be allowed back in the uk.
cause i wouldnt want to start a rumor would i. hee hee .
you might have to stay there as punishment . bit like the old days .
think i might stay close to the borders then i can get home fast if need be .

Steve Freeman

my cure [while I can still afford it] is to go to Australia for a while................sorry, but I hate the cold and damp and the pain is horrendous , not that this is any help to you
Sounds fantastic - it's on our list too, and we're saving up for it.

To get down to brass tacks, we too are mostly doing this thing to avoid the grey skies, cold and damp; at the moment the 'travel' part is not the point, just a means to an end.

We can, and have gone 'on holiday' as it were away from the van (easier with a separate vehicle of course). We're off on the 20th and as I often say, I have no idea why people want to over-winter in the UK (it costs more for one thing), or indeed go to shows where you park in a busy field - likely grey wet & muddy, but then each to his own! I prefer sunny beaches and clean mountain air...

We have friends from UK, Holland & Germany to meet up with abroad, we see friends and family twice a year when we pass through Oxfordshire, and there is pretty much a waiting list of friends wanting to come and stay with us in Spain & Portugal.

Of course there are some on this site who seem to want to put you to work if you visit them, and are short of decent blue cheese.

chrisjones18

please ,please ,please let the rumour be true as they wont give me a long enough [without a lot of form filling and conditions] visa to stay.......need to wait another 2 years to get more than 3 months at a time.

Adverts