Prescriptions When Traveling Abroad

hpold

Hi print this out and keep it in the front of you moh if anything goes wrong but have a safe trip .
For medical emergencies in France
  • You can walk in any French hospital in case of emergency, they will treat you first, then talk about money.
  • Should you need an ambulance or the fire brigade, call the 15 (112 from a mobile phone) and they’ll dispatch your call appropriately – these numbers are toll free and will even work from a locked cell phone or sometimes even when there is no ‘apparent’ signal.
  • SOS Dentiste (Paris) tel. 01 43 37 51 00
  • SOS Help (English-language crisis line) tel. 01 46 21 46 46

Medical emergencies in Spain
The general emergency telephone number in Spain is 112. Most chemists ('farmacia's') will have information about where you can go for emergency treatment and can provide information about which clinics and medical treatment you can get. If you suffer with a particular medical condition or allergic reaction to penicillin or other medicine, make sure you know what the Spanish translation for this is.

When calling out a doctor in an emergency, let them know that you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and that you want to be treated under the EU arrangements, or inform them of your travel/health insurance details. If you are treated in a state medical centre (centro de salud) or out-patient clinic (ambulatorio) you will probably be referred to a state hospital for treatment, so carry details of your private medical insurance around with you.
Emergency numbers in Spain
  • 112 is the general emergency telephone number in Spain
  • 061 is for the Ambulancia (ambulance)
  • 062 is for the Guardia Civil (Civil Guard)
  • 080 is for the Bomberos (fire services)
  • 091 is for the Policia Nacional (National Police)

maddy

Ah cheers hpold, I dont have a printer but i am now going to search for 1 online, as a printer is very handy to have, especially for me as i forget everything unless its written down.

hpold

Ah cheers hpold, I dont have a printer but i am now going to search for 1 online, as a printer is very handy to have, especially for me as i forget everything unless its written down.
Just go to your library log on and print off as you do not have a printer its free to use.:thumb: It costs nothing to register and if you want to read any books you can down load them when you are away .

maddy

Ahhh you just sent shock waves to my system, lol I hate going into town to many people, (i dont like crowds) last time i went into town was 5 years ago. I do need a printer though ive been meaning to get one. I used to fill my own inks back in the day, so cheaper, mind there are some cheaper generic inks about, or used to be.

Steve Freeman

Just think - if we pull out of Europe, it will be a right pain getting medical cover without paying an arm and a leg...
Similarly with the insurance position, and maybe restrictions on weight and size may prevent some of us from going there at all (we use an EU treaty that allows us to drive big or heavy rigs over there that are not necessarily allowed for other EU citizens.

Bummer.

vwalan

the driving of vehicles has nothing to do with any eu treaty . ,. it might mean we will have to go back to having an international driving licence . but thats no problem . there are two types depending on which countries you want to drive in . i had both untill recently . easy to get from rac or aa.
vehicle insurance will go back to green carding as it was before we joined the eu.
it was never a problem , or at least my parents never had one . they always got insurance for all over the place or bought border insurance .
health well then we shall have to either get private health insurance or take the chance .
i think it could be the best thing uk as done in years .
the biggest problem might be if it ends up we need a carnet de passage . but again its not really that much of a problem. its all doable .
i imagine there will be more hassle using cards etc abroad but i havent found it too much a problem .
mind it can be changing pounds into euro,s even now if you try some of the banks away from tourist areas.
the last few years have met many in trouble . i did get refused twice in spain last year. its just too much trouble for them now sending pounds back to the uk. etc .

maddy

Would be a good idea if i got my Italian Citizenship? as my father is Italian, not sure if it would help with anything?

vwalan

cant answer that might not happen .
mind that could cause more confusion . italian living in uk . might need a visa to enter uk.
uk driving licence . it just goes on .
my experiance of traveling is uk passport uk log book uk licence . etc as much as possible is better . mix it up and they look harder.
at least europe should only need one visa for all the eu. africa etc it can be visa for ever country . and very often not available on the border . might have to get it two countries away etc . now that was fun.

maddy

cant answer that might not happen .
mind that could cause more confusion . italian living in uk . might need a visa to enter uk.
uk driving licence . it just goes on .
my experiance of traveling is uk passport uk log book uk licence . etc as much as possible is better . mix it up and they look harder.
at least europe should only need one visa for all the eu. africa etc it can be visa for ever country . and very often not available on the border . might have to get it two countries away etc . now that was fun.
It would be Dual Citizenship

vwalan

i know but having traveled with others that have dual nationality it does seem to cause grief.

maddy

Yes I've heard others say that too its why i never bothered, not good complicating things.

Steve Freeman

the driving of vehicles has nothing to do with any eu treaty . ,.
Yes it does, it's the Vienna Treaty.
The point of my argument was that our costs will increase if we pull out.

Steve Freeman

It would be Dual Citizenship
Yes, it can only be a benefit to hedge your bets. I know many people with dual nationality. You choose which you assert to suit yourself, and I have never heard any of my friends and acquaintances having a problem. It comes down top what the other nationality is - Euro countries should be fine, Middle east probably has problems if you actually show a passport in some countries. One friend with dual US/UK citizenship that I know has two UK and two US passports so they can visit Middle East and Israel for business - the latter, you really don't want any stamps in one passport from other Middle East countries....

Last edited:

vwalan

so what as vienna treaty got to do with transport in the eu?
what costs .

Steve Freeman

so what as vienna treaty got to do with transport in the eu?
what costs .
I quote: "The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration".
The UK allows different tech specs to those in Europe. For example, without a special license, Germans cannot drive 5th wheelers or heavy RVs. Fair enough, we have harmonized this in 1996 I think, but there are more things where the UK gets exceptions as part of the Vienna Treaty.

The point is that when we pull out of Europe, anyone who believes they won't cut up rough about about all sorts of non-compliance when we drive there is dreaming.

I am sure that commercial transport will all be excluded or a new deal sorted out, but minorities like me will not get away with it so easily.

As for costs, I notice that your post mentions several things where we will get stung. EHIC will be be one victim.

The EU provides for all sorts of things for liabilities based on insurance, and if we gio back to "green cards" it will be a field day for insurers to hike prices. Same with any kind of travel insurance.

I don't care if people think being out of EU will make us all rich (I think the opposite) or fix immigration (we all know our Asian and West African neighbours all really came from Poland and Hungary, where they got a great tan), but let's get one thing straight - if we pull out of the EU, many people like us who enjoy going to Europe will face rising costs to be able to do it, compared with what we have now, not to mention a lot more annoying complications to sort out our trips.

vwalan

i still say as a child in the early 60,s we travelled just like i do now . only for 6-8 weeks but we went all over the place.

have to chance the health thing . i never have health insurance . dont have break down or recovery either . fix it where ever .
germans could drive upto 12 ton when uk was only 7.5 ton .
they could drive 5th wheelers .
in 91 uk lost the driving of coaches and heavy rv,s ,or trucks as m,homes . we need a c licence now . france was worse they couldnt drive over 3,500kg . spain and italy as well. i think holland couldnt as well with out taking hgv licence .
but border insurance will be available for certain . a carnet de passage isnt expensive . when i had one for africa it was 75 quid a year. so long as you didnt leave the vehicle in a country that was it . mind egypt was ten times the value of the vehicle import duty if you did leave it . nigeria was three times the value . most were sensible .
thats why an old landrover or old vw reconditioned to be like new is the favourite vehicles as the year makes them worth less . mind vw,s are getting expensive if old .

maddy

I might just get it anyway i can't hurt having dual citizenship can it ? All this politics does me head in, lol

vwalan

well i,m cornish if in brittany galecia or even portugal.
bob is scottish. mind was born in cumbria . but we fit in with the locals . after all brittany isnt france . galecia isnt spain . and parts of portugal are well weird . i can be yorkshire if i want as they are the best county in england . cornwall isnt in england . ha ha .
we do have our own language and parliament down here .http://www.cornishstannaryparliament.co.uk/

Steve Freeman

I might just get it anyway i can't hurt having dual citizenship can it ? All this politics does me head in, lol
In short, no.
Just pull out your UK passport if you are in a country known to hate Italians (if it were even possible), or vice-versa.

vwalan

dont worry if you can speak arabic and quote the quran you will be alright . even better if you know alibaba grande djelahaba . inshallah .

Adverts