Power

Discussion in 'Fulltimer Chat' started by Chris t, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Chris t

Chris t New Member

hi all, new to site and motorhomes.we have sold our house and bought a motor home, pick it up next month.Then of to France first, question I have is would it be worthwhile getting a efoy fitted or go with a Honda Genny . Cheers Chris t

2. Dunroamin

Dunroamin Well-Known Member

You have to answer that question yourself.Will you be on campsites ? Will you be wilding ? Do you have lots of power hungry gadgets,telly,microwave , hair dryer, etc,etc etc ? Efoy,advantage,quiet and clean,disadvantage very expensive and not a lot in the way of output. You could do an extremely good solar setup for half the cost,assuming you have the weight capacity. I think most on here would have a genny but few use it much and a lot leave it behind after a while.

3. Chris t

Chris t New Member

Thanks dunroamin. We will youse airs mainly,with the odd campsite, so you think Solaris the way to go. Cheers Chris t

4. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

We had 180w of Solar Power and two 105amp Leisure Batteries and managed for 19 days without Electric Hook-Up, could have lasted longer but the Aire we went on had Electric so used that as it was included in the price.

5. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

We have 2x100watt panels and only 1 x100 amp battery.. worked in the summer for what we use but I guess I'm gonna need another battery

6. Dunroamin

Dunroamin Well-Known Member

We have 2X75 watt coupled up for 24 volt but we can tilt them to 45 degrees and turn thru 360 from inside the truck.The difference between tilt and flat is 100%.Tried and tested!!! Compressor fridge,internet gadgets,cook with gas,heat with solid fuel.Sometimes less is more!!! That said we do have a 650watt Honda genny which is not often used but for power tools that rather than invertor.Oh4X185 amp batteries.

7. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to
    the 365.
    Solar is deffinately the way to go.We live as we did when we had our house with no power problems at all.Even with 5 days of rain and crap u.k weather of late we certainly didn't struggle.The secret is to get the right vehicle.Most manufacturers seem to enjoy littering roofs with loads of vents e.t.c. giving you less capacity for panels.They are built for holiday purposes only. Best way is to build your own if you can. I have 720 watts of panals and 675 amps of Trojan batteries we do have a decent payload that you don't get with most manufactured motorhomes.We are now in our third year on the road and loving it

8. chrisjones18

get a mppt controller then you only need daylight and not sunshine is what I found to be great advice.

9. sundowners

sundowners Well-Known Member

We have an efoy (fitted by previous owner) IMHO it is not worth the money--------I am happy to sell you ours!!!!
    We have 500w of solar and a small Honda Genny, that works well for us.

10. Chris t

Chris t New Member

Thanks all for advice, decisions decisions,

11. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

We have 2 x 100w solar panels & 2 110 batts, in Frane using Aires we never need hook up.
    Last year we had 4.5 months in France, using Aires-never had a problem!
    With Aires you are moving every day or three so even if it's a bit gloomy you charge up when moving.
    I don't think you would be very popular using a genny on an Aire! We've seen a few and usually someone goes over & complains!

12. coolasluck

That's not true Chris.
    I have a P.WM controller and it also receives charge from daylight. In fact even when it's raining I have been receiving good charge. As I am using a smart phone I can't get up links but an mppt charges your setup quicker by turning excess voltage into amps. I have a Morningstar pwm and it's a great piece of kit and is a three star charger an mppt is unnecessary for us and I couldn't justify the extra expense.

13. chrisjones18

cheers Kevin,
    I was a little concerned when doing this and I still only have the one 100amp battery. it has never gone down under 94% .though I only use led lights and a 300watt pure sin inverter for the tv/lap top.. the solar usb charges the tablet and phones. the battery is normally full before I wake up in the mornings.
    when I was looking some university people were doing tests on controllers, I bought the cheap Chinese one [from the same place] they recommended, they could not work out how it was built for the price they were selling it at.
    they also said a lot of Chinese mppt ones were not genuine mppt controllers but very cheap and rubbish ones labelled different.
    I have a split charge relay for the cab battery and most of the time the green light is on as the leisure one is full.
    it might be different when I get a larger inverter for the pile of electrical gadgets I am told need to work "in there".
    back in the house now after around 3 months in the van.

14. Tom2023

Tom2023 Member

Now that all our lights are LED we don't use that much electric.

15. coolasluck

Hi Chris hope you enjoyed your 3 month stint in the van but I would also add that your batteries will always be full by the time you get up,given that,you font get up much before 3.p.m lol

chrisjones18 likes this.
  16. coolasluck

My smilies seem to not work

17. coolasluck

You have to watch for some of the chinese crap pretending to be something it's not. The same goes for inverters.

18. chrisjones18

Next 3 is Jan. Feb.March in australia then back to go to Europe from Aug. Will be in Gib for Sept and back there for Xmas 2018 (after a tour of Portugal ) to spend with the children. Or so we have been informed.

19. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

Going back to my post I should add that all our lights are led, the TV is a Finlux and apparently uses less power, we charge 2x iPhones, 2x iPads, a MiFi, and the laptop and the Dyson all get charges when travelling using the inverter!

20. Chris t

Chris t New Member

Thanks shrimp for advice, I looked at 12 volt TVs wondered which one to get
    A lot of diffence in prices, would you recommend finlux,they seem reasonabley priced.compared to avtex. Cheers chris