Ovens

Discussion in 'Fulltimer's Motorhomes' started by Jemima Hymer, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Jemima Hymer

Jemima Hymer New Member

Hi

We bought our motorhome in early December and with it came a De' Longhi EO200W mini oven. Do any of you know anything about these - can the oven only be used on hook up? Or can they be adapted to use on the 12V? Thanks

2. BigMomma

BigMomma Well-Known Member

I am assuming that this is a freestanding item which has been left by the previous owners ? It would depend on what type of setup you have on the van with leisure batteries and an inverter, have you checked that the oven works (by plugging in to a socket with 240v) ? If it works on normal 240v but doesn't work when plugged in to van when not connected to EHU then you have your answer. I am not an expert with electrics, but other's on this forum are so I guess they will be along soon and provide a better answer. I know that you can get 'Inverters' connected through the Leisure Batteries that will power domestic items but generally you need more than the standard 1 or 2 battery setup on the van.

3. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

Ovens in motorhomes are great if they are powered by gas. They are not suitable powered by electric unless on a campsite all the time and plugged in to your own supply. For 12 volt purposes you will need a 2000 watt inverter and a lot of batteries with a means to recharge those batteries. So as you can see it's not the best way forward. I would give it to a good home as it's more fitting for a bedsit. A better option would be a multi tasking microwave at 750 watts we have fulltiming friends who either cook with a petrol stove outside or just use a microwave they live off grid but have 5 panals.

4. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

Suppose it would be handy on ehu if you have the spare capacity and space to carry it.
    We have gas oven/grill and 4 rings.
    Plus a microwave ( hate them but got told it is needed) and a small gas barbecue.

5. BigMomma

We had a microwave built in to the last van but rarely used it, Shazza used it fo heating up her soup on the odd occasion, but you can do that in a saucepan on a gas hob :thumb: Don't have a microwave on the new van and haven't missed it ;) As Coola says, either give it to a good home or sell it :thumb:

6. Dunroamin

Dunroamin Well-Known Member

De Longhi are better known for their top of the range lekky coffee machines but I doubt if they would find many buyers in Nescafe Britain.We have a coffee machine,latte,cappucino etc that sits on the gas hob.Not to be found in the UK but I bought it in Auss a good few years ago complete with all the available spare parts.Like Coola says ,gas is the way to cook,you dont find a lekky cooker in a profi kitchen. Microwaves are for people who cant cook.

7. coolasluck

coolasluck Well-Known Member

We don't have a microwave either.... just saying:cool::speechless::)

8. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

I don't have the space, time nor inclination for an electric oven nor a Microwave.
    We have a gas oven/grill and 4 gas rings.
    In the winter when we are on EHU I supplement with a Slow Cooker & a Remoska, both are low wattage.

9. BigMomma

I think the other point to factor in is that even if using Campsites or Aires in Europe, that provide EHU, many are only 4-5 amps, which is not a lot. It's mainly about prioritising 'essentials' that you really need. 'desirables' are fine provided you have the storage space and remember that these extra's all involve weight. A lot of the time it is about getting out on the road, once you have done an extended tour, you will realise for yourselves what you actually use and need and what just gets left in a drawer, a cupboard or the garage space and that you don't need or use :thumb: We are all different and enjoy doing different things, what is important to one person is not necessarily important to another so what 'essentials' and 'desirables' we each take may differ considerably. So, size and permissible laden weights of each 'Unit' are a factor, as is stowage space but equally important is our 'Lifestyles' ;)

Shrimp and sundowners like this.
  10. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

I've found over the years that my cooking priorities have changed several times & I expect they will change again!
    Every 6 months-or when I'm bored-I go thru all my cupboards/drawers & storage areas and get rid of bits that I haven't used, it's amazing how much builds up, you think you need something, it gets used perhaps twice and never sees the light of day again!
    So I refine & refine again!

11. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

That's why I like the Remoska & Slow Cooker they are both low wattage. I'm also getting used to the stove top Pressure Cooker!

snail likes this.
  12. BigMomma

Yes, we too have a Remoska and Slow Cooker, we tend to use them more when we are working though and not so much in the van these days. I think that when you are living 'on the road', you become more imaginative in what you cook, not just for the convenience but also the practicalities. The less pots and utensils you use, the less space you use and less washing up :giggle:

13. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

My cooking is very imaginative, ginger jam, marmalade, balsamic vinegar,
    I don't use my Remmy or slopot to save time.
    My Slopot dry roasts, stews, pudds you name it, the remmy bakes-cakes, pots, most veg, roasts, and anything else I can think of and between them when we are on EHU they save the gas!:)

14. Dunroamin

Are we to understand that you make your own √§scetico balsamico"if so how ? We just got an √Ątora suet"from Mrs Coola,try finding that on the continent.We can now have spotted dick,jam rolly poly and goat and banana dumplings.Can you steam wih a slopot or Ramoski? As I recall the Ramoskis were originally from Chekeslovakia where each household had a limit on lekky.We dont save gas we dont have to. Claypot cooking with diffuser,tagine on the hob. Claudia Roden, Bethany Kehdy,Paula Wolfert and Madhur Jaffrey are Heikes favourite cooks.

15. Dunroamin

I assume by your silence that you do not carry a variety of wooden barrels around for the ageing of your ascetico.Iwould also assume that your idea of creative cooking extends to meat and two veg.No cook of any worth uses either ,remoski,slopot or pressure cooker,why ,because you cant do anything other than cob in the bits and put on the lid.The last time we bought ascetico balsamico was 5 years ago inModena,1 litre 39 Euros and we are still using it.It is now 35 years old and delicious.We are dedicated "foodies ".

16. Dunroamin

17. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

What's the matter with you?
    All I did was answer a post about ovens now I find I'm being belittled & bullied about using a Slow Pot & a Remoska when on EHU to save on the gas usage!
    Back off!:thumb:

18. Dunroamin

If you tell porkies that you make your own ascetico balsamico what do you expect? Trying to impress people with your culinary expertise with a porkie doesnt go down to well.Why dont you back off !!

19. Shrimp

Shrimp Active Member

"My cooking is very imaginative, ginger jam, marmalade, balsamic vinegar,
    I don't use my Remmy or slopot to save time."

Pardon me!
    I never said I made Balsamic, nor any of the other things....I use them in my cooking as most good cooks do.
    Now please leave me alone, I'm not impressed with your tone and I'm getting fed up with being picked on!

20. BigMomma

Sometimes when you read something you can mis-interpret what has been said, easily done and I have done that myself. Surely the simplest solution here would be to just to say sorry, I mis-read or mis-interpreted what was written :thumb: Mistakes happen but sometimes they are easy to rectify ;):)