Our new Motorhome

fanofatan

A wee update
we've had the VW type 2 for...wow!!! it must be 22 years, over the last 6 or 7 years, due to one thing or another it hasn't seen much action, work commitments, building and selling a house, us getting older, having a hairy dog (that loves water) and us hiring newer motorhomes in the Algarve, real bad move as it's made us realise the VW is just a bit too small for us to enjoy extended breaks in Europe, great for long weekends / a week but any longer it's hard
So after many head scratching days and I mean lots & lots with umpteen visits to the local motorhome dealers over the last couple of years, we've made our minds up as to the van that suits OUR needs...Yee Haa
It had to have a garage, decent bed, with easy access, no ladders, no climbing over each other or over cab nonsense
no mid van drop downs, comfortable lounge / dining, straight kitchen area, plenty storage, toilet / shower and with a light interior opposed to the dark wood many have
Our choice...(drum roll) an Elddis 194, it's the one that ticked most if not all of our boxes
picture attached
Hopefully we'll be going away Feb next year for a couple of months

fanofatan

Time to plan where to go, looks like it'll be through the tunnel, down towards Le Mans, Poitiers, Bordeaux and then into Spain...trying to find the Sun or something like that atm
Unless there are other ideas out there ?

vwalan

sounds good . might be that the bottom of france will still be a bit cold .
best head a bit quick across spain till you get to santander then just slow right down and hug the coast along the top of spain.
may find this usefull https://www.fuelflash.eu/en/?land=es&suchfeld=torrelavaga&entfernung=10&sorte=diesel&sortierung=preis
have a play its good for getting nice price fuel.
if its warm you will be able to venture inland and visit the peco,s de europa they are great.
but we find that coast all the way to portugal interesting.
take every road to the sea, yes some are dead ends but all give great adventure.
have a good one.

BigMomma

Time to plan where to go, looks like it'll be through the tunnel, down towards Le Mans, Poitiers, Bordeaux and then into Spain...trying to find the Sun or something like that atm
Unless there are other ideas out there ?
Reading travel reports from other Motorhome forums, it appears that Southern France and Northern and Western Coasts of Spain & Portugal have and are suffering lots of rain and very strong winds. Down here on Costa Del Sol we have had 3 weeks of fantastic weather, although now having a day of rain showers bit forecast to be back to sunshine tomorrow and next ten days

vwalan

february they say they are going.
might be portugal could be windy and wet then.
this time of the year its usually wet and windy in portugal, mind morocco can be flooded out along the coast as well . its that time of year and its normal ,rain and tides .
a couple of years ago malaga etc was looded out in february yet galicia was having its warmest driest spring for years. . we had a quick look around malaga then headed up to galicia . was great.

fanofatan

Hi Alan, we were down in Portugal a couple of times this year, in March the weather was great in the mid 20's but the wind was always there
We stayed down at the beach Carpark at Praia da Cordoama, absolutely beautiful once the surfers and day visitors left, an old favourite still has to be next to Quarteria at Praia do Almargem in the trees right on the beach...does get busy with winter sunseekers

vwalan

yes there are many nice places .
used to get on that west coast alot when younger, surfing was the game .
thats why i always say take every road or track to the sea. . becomes a habit.
we used to be able to really camp in the woods at quateria . then in about 2000 they stopped the camping in the forest. but i know where you mean these days . we moved to the other side and stopped by the fishing port.
but really i preferred the atlantic coast. have you been to praia malhadinha? its near a campsite but take a track behind the campsite and down to a great long beach. . there was a font and shower built by the surfers to use.
many of the old stops have disapeared now though. buildings and no camping signs etc .
we used to leave uk end of september and just get to france or spain and hug the coast all the way to algeciras to catch the ferries . tried tarifa but that was a bit dearer. a few quid went along way in maroc in the 70,s hee hee.
sometimes we caught a ferry to gibralter stop a night then back to maroc . the border with gib to spain was closed .
these days its a bit too cold and wet along the atlantic , was ok years ago it was wet in the sea anyway.

Last edited:

Shannaget

Petal, reed, metal, tonal drums. The instrument is admirably tuned. It goes ably with the flute, piano, guitar. To part of an remarkable gubbins that recently appeared - the Petal richness drum, popularly known as a “glucophone” (pleasure, radiation), a discernment of rhythm is enough.
His characteristic is sincerely mystical. And you can learn to play it in nothing but a only one minutes - the cardinal gizmo is to upstanding learn how to defeat on metal tongues, and it on all occasions sounds magical.

vwalan

we could set up a musical group.
i play harmonica , what do you play?

vwalan

so have we got anymore strange folk on here?
think that last post by fanofatan ended with him looking in a mirror.

fanofatan

Alan there's 'nothing stranger than folk' as the saying goes
what's happened with you and your winter sun tours, are you happy sitting in Devon now or are you off on tour this winter?

vwalan

hi, only go to devon to catch the ferry from plymouth.
i,m in cornwall.
they changed the rules on my disability and i cant get away like i used to.
28 days max is it these days. well abroad.
as it is i,m waiting now for new leg supports , i do have both legs in orthotic supports from the knee down.
have been thinking about a fly out to gambia but untill i,m free of waiting i darent book . been 6 months now getting these new ones .
mind its quite ok being down here in winters . makes a change from being away. the nature is nice to watch, there are still wild flowers blooming down here . even my lawn as daisies and dandelions sprouting still. but some of the country hedges around here are full of life, might be i have been going away and missing it in the past.
but on a dry sunny day going for a m,bike ride out is fantastic . the roads are quieter and i,m enjoying just being here. last week as been too wet but i,m sure it will dry out soon.
plus with all this bre....confusion i really cant be bothered either way. be better if they do get a ferry going from falmouth to morocco. there was talk of it a couple of years ago. they were opening up tarfaya port with dredges and rumour it would be for the ferry. i could miss the whole of eu out then . africa is much more exciting than eu.
nicer people as well.

fanofatan

lol Devon, Cornwall just the same aren't they (getting my coat)
sorry to hear about your ongoing situation, as you say our Country is fantastic at this time of year (Oops apart from the floods)
hope you get sorted out and stay mobile

vwalan

i was born not far from the river don. we lived in warmsworth just outside of doncaster.
as kids we used to go to where the river don flooded fields etc almost every year. parts of the river as deep concrete steps either side to stop flooding . we used to see it if going to our aunties place.
often used to go to sheffield in winter etc just to see flooding on the way.
glad we moved down here. mind we did move to dorset as well and back to cornwall.
glad i now live in cornwalls second highest village . makes total sense to live on a hill. hee hee.
i have had plastic leg supports for about 10 yrs now. great bits of kit.
been great today ,drove to one of the local hilltops , you could see the sea north and south at the turn of your head. been very sunny, but a little cloud now and then. almost 10c at the warmest. but really nice behind the windscreen.
waking up in the morning is the start of a nice day, so many arent waking up anymore. seems every week i know someone thats passed away.

Adverts