Optare alero

Wumpet

Hi guys, I’m new to this, just bought an Optare alero to convert to a camper, I’m struggling to get parts!! Needs ball joints, track rod ends and air bags thought it would be simple but like I said parts seem to be like rocking horse can anyone help with a contact for spare parts or would any other model parts fit? Thanks in advance wumpet

sundowners

Hi
Welcome to 365
I know nothing about optare buses. ------ but we had contemplated one to convert a few years ago!!!!
There are still thousands in use I believe so spares must be available for them----- I did a Google search for optare spares and loads came up, I don't know what the alero is???? Maybe I am missing something?????
I think they make a good base vehicle------but could be short of ground clearance.?????
I believe I read somewhere that the gearing varies quite a lot, so if you are not lucky it could be geared very low making it a bit slow and thirsty?????
We would all be very interested to know how you progress with this project!!!!!
I see they are based of different chassis---- I thought they were all Merc???? but for things like track for ends I would look at the chassis manufacturers, they are almost certainly to be the same as their same sized vans????

Last edited:

chrisjones18

Hi welcome.
When I had trucks I bought my parts from these and found them very good.
Might have been that I lived by the owner but they will find parts for obscure trucks. Or at least they used to.
https://www.allspares.co.uk
I now have a fiat and use imperial commercials in Gloucester as they give big discounts for motorhomes

Wumpet

Thanks very much I’ll give them a
Hi
Welcome to 365
I know nothing about optare buses. ------ but we had contemplated one to convert a few years ago!!!!
There are still thousands in use I believe so spares must be available for them----- I did a Google search for optare spares and loads came up, I don't know what the alero is???? Maybe I am missing something?????
I think they make a good base vehicle------but could be short of ground clearance.?????
I believe I read somewhere that the gearing varies quite a lot, so if you are not lucky it could be geared very low making it a bit slow and thirsty?????
We would all be very interested to know how you progress with this project!!!!!
I see they are based of different chassis---- I thought they were all Merc???? but for things like track for ends I would look at the chassis manufacturers, they are almost certainly to be the same as their same sized vans????
thanks mate I’ll keep you informwd

Adverts