On own

Markxx1100

Looking at living in dilly and travel. It seems a big step and just would like to know is it hard . Any drawbacks

vwalan

hi welcome . i cheat and only long term. but lots do .
have a read of some of the early forum posts about address,s etc . you will need one . insurance ,driving licence ,reg vehicle etc .
many do work in summer etc then get off in winter . i used to drive trucks in summer then disapear in winter.
usually on sewage trucks or waste company trucks . others didnt like it but i found it interesting . sewage /fresh water etc all important when traveling .
but fire away any questions i,m sure many will be able to help you. cheers have fun ,smile , if you wake up in the morning its the start of a good day. . cheers alan.

BigMomma

Where are you looking to travel ? Are you looking at fulltiming ? Are you keeping a property in U.K. ? Are you doing this solo ? What type of vehicle have you got ? Have you got much experience of living in Caravans/Motorhomes ? So many questions which need answers so that members could help provide you with some 'relevant' information.

Markxx1100

Where are you looking to travel ? Are you looking at fulltiming ? Are you keeping a property in U.K. ? Are you doing this solo ? What type of vehicle have you got ? Have you got much experience of living in Caravans/Motorhomes ? So many questions which need answers so that members could help provide you with some 'relevant' information.
Yes solo. Really don't want to go into details but my wife past away 4 years ago and it's something I want to do. Travel and see where it takes me. Yes I have a fiat dakato 25ft.

BigMomma

Sorry to hear of your loss, good to read that you have decided to focus on something to move forward, well done :thumb: However, it would be good to have a bit more information e.g. answer some of the questions that I raised. That will give myself and other forum members an idea of what you are looking at doing and then try to provide you with some guidance, advice or opinion. I am assuming that you are aware of the 'potential' travel restrictions within the EU 'if' we do leave the EU ? Are you aware of the different type of camping methods, Campsites, Aires, France Passion, Free Camping, Brit Stops etc. etc. ? So you see, we need to know just what you already are aware of, where you want to travel etc. so that we have some sort of a starting point.

Toskananomad

Looking at living in dilly and travel. It seems a big step and just would like to know is it hard . Any drawbacks
Full time van life is as easy or as hard as you choose to make it. Camp sites have the facilities but cost, and have rules. Wild camping, which I prefer, is free and the only rules are basically common sense, I.e. leave no trace of your stay and move regularly. I always do a litter pick and move after two nights. A good tip is to shop local, it helps the local economy and I often get advice on where to free camp safely, frequently with great scenery. Essentially, your chosen lifestyle is what you make it, but patience, courtesy and good manners will create wonderful experiences. The key is not to be in a hurry but to enjoy every day, and never be shy about asking for advice.

Markxx1100

I have been to France a few times with my last motorhome and travelled round Britain. Yes I have a house which the daughter is in. I have no problem living in the motorhome and travel around. Not thinking of EUROPE till brexit is sorted. Thinking of Scotland for a couple of months

BigMomma

Take a look at 'You Tube' and search for 'The Wildering Camper'. These are a young New Zealand couple in their 2nd year of travelling Europe in their U.K. Owned/registered autosleeper campervan. Look at their most recent trip where they travelled around Scotland during the Winter !! They mostly 'free camp' but occasionally, due to weather, laundry etc. used what Campsites were open and they stayed in some beautiful locations :thumb:

Also, good advice from Toskananoma :thumb:

There are lots of forum members who are currently fulltiming or long-terming so hopefully they will share some of their experiences with you about the realities, as well as the 'highs and lows' of life on the road.

One of the best Apps to have for finding places to stay is 'Park4Night' (both for U.K. and also Europe) and also for the U.K. I would recommend 'Brit Stops'. If you join one (or both) of the main UK Camping Clubs this will give you access to hundreds of UK 'Certified Locations' or 'Certified Sites' (small 5 van sites) and if you get an Annual Membership to the National Trust this will not only provide places to go for things to do but also can provide useful overnight parking and although you have to pay for the subscription you will get your money back in no time if you use it as it gives you free parking and free access to their locations :thumb:

Knowing now that you have some experience of travelling and using a Motorhome, you are already more than half way there, so I would say go and do it, their are lots of 'solo' nomads out there, but that isn't important as, in my experience, 'generally' the Motorhome community are a friendly and helpful bunch of people.

Ask specific questions on here and you will get lots of varying advice, guidance and opinion and you can select from it what 'you' require :thumb:

Go and enjoy the adventures :)

Markxx1100

Take a look at 'You Tube' and search for 'The Wildering Camper'. These are a young New Zealand couple in their 2nd year of travelling Europe in their U.K. Owned/registered autosleeper campervan. Look at their most recent trip where they travelled around Scotland during the Winter !! They mostly 'free camp' but occasionally, due to weather, laundry etc. used what Campsites were open and they stayed in some beautiful locations :thumb:

Also, good advice from Toskananoma :thumb:

There are lots of forum members who are currently fulltiming or long-terming so hopefully they will share some of their experiences with you about the realities, as well as the 'highs and lows' of life on the road.

One of the best Apps to have for finding places to stay is 'Park4Night' (both for U.K. and also Europe) and also for the U.K. I would recommend 'Brit Stops'. If you join one (or both) of the main UK Camping Clubs this will give you access to hundreds of UK 'Certified Locations' or 'Certified Sites' (small 5 van sites) and if you get an Annual Membership to the National Trust this will not only provide places to go for things to do but also can provide useful overnight parking and although you have to pay for the subscription you will get your money back in no time if you use it as it gives you free parking and free access to their locations :thumb:

Knowing now that you have some experience of travelling and using a Motorhome, you are already more than half way there, so I would say go and do it, their are lots of 'solo' nomads out there, but that isn't important as, in my experience, 'generally' the Motorhome community are a friendly and helpful bunch of people.

Ask specific questions on here and you will get lots of varying advice, guidance and opinion and you can select from it what 'you' require :thumb:

Go and enjoy the adventures :)
Many thanks for the Info. Have got searchforsites on mobile. Looking forward to just roaming. I like my sea fishing so no prob there and tv sorted for battery. .have tow car but will leave that and get a push bike.

sundowners

One target for you is Norway!! FANTASTIC motorhoming ( like Sweden!!)--_-- all salt water fishing is free, no licence etc etc , (but Sweden is more controlled for fishing)-------- In fact our two favourite countries for easy travelling are Sweden and Portugal!! Sooo easy to wildcamp!!!!

vwalan

i say dont go to the on line places .
dont use satnav.
use good maps ,
dont use toll roads or motorways ,avoid dual carriageways visit as many villages as you can.
for spain and portugal mapamax map book printed in spain is the best one i have found . buy off amazon if in uk.
did use a campsite in 2009 while in spain ha ha .
but sensible wilding is the way.

Last edited:

Markxx1100

One target for you is Norway!! FANTASTIC motorhoming ( like Sweden!!)--_-- all salt water fishing is free, no licence etc etc , (but Sweden is more controlled for fishing)-------- In fact our two favourite countries for easy travelling are Sweden and Portugal!! Sooo easy to wildcamp!!!!
Norway is on my list. Lovely country. Was going to fly there and have a week but thought why not dilly. No time limit.

BigMomma

i say dont go to the on line places .
dont use satnav.
use good maps ,
dont use toll roads or motorways ,avoid dual carriageways visit as many villages as you can.
for spain and portugal mapamax map book printed in spain is the best one i have found . buy off google if in uk.
did use a campsite in 2009 while in spain ha ha .
but sensible wilding is the way.
In this day and age if you are just adventuring then modern technology is extremely useful, 'Apps' like 'Park4Nite' and 'Kamper Contact' are brilliant, there are others :thumb: and generally they give GPS co-ordinates, provide photographs of the parkings and useful information like which have water, grey/black waste, even those with EHU (free and pay ones) and nearby launderette etc. Sat Navs like mine also have software like 'Camperstop' and 'BORD' Atlas that show the Aires throughout Europe, so it is good to have lots of choice, although lots of times you can use satellite maps on 'Google' and 'Maps4Me' to find your own places and often you can just stumble across a discreet place to hold up for a night or two and let's not forget the good old 'word of mouth' from fellow traveller's you meet on the road ;) However, I agree that good old fashioned maps are also worth their weight in gold, technology can fail and many are reliant on phone signals and/or WiFi, so always have maps and cover all eventualities. I also agree about staying off 'Toll Roads' but that sometimes depends on where you want to be, your type of Unit and the terrain, sometimes a Motorway can be the best option at the time. But you will miss out on seeing some beautiful scenery and towns and villages.

I guess as I always try to advocate, their is no right or wrong way to do it, just the way you want to do it and learn by your own mistakes, although advice is always a welcomed commodity :thumb:

Last edited:

SteveG

Thinking of Scotland for a couple of months
Scotland is pretty good for wild camping outside the tourist season although it can be a struggle to find places to drop black waste. We carry a 2nd toilet cassette which helps. Inside the tourist season the west coast can get pretty busy due to the publicity that the NC500 route gets.

BigMomma

Scotland is pretty good for wild camping outside the tourist season although it can be a struggle to find places to drop black waste. We carry a 2nd toilet cassette which helps. Inside the tourist season the west coast can get pretty busy due to the publicity that the NC500 route gets.
Like yourself, we carry a second cassette which extends the time you can be away from facilities :thumb:

SteveG

Norway is on my list. Lovely country. Was going to fly there and have a week but thought why not dilly. No time limit.
We took the motorhome to Norway a good few years back - when the Newcastle to Norway ferry still ran. Once I finally give up working we have a vague plan to wander all the way up to the North Cape.

chrisjones18

Hmmmm Norway, just reading a book on that very thing...
The Ribbons are for Fearlessness by Catrina Davies....
Bit of chasing the midnight sun,in a old fiat ducato, loving it.

sundowners

Norway has been so ridiculously expensive but on our last two trips there we found it to be much better now BUT------ eating out and all alcohol are still off our spending list!!!!, There are now a lot of toll roads and expensive ferries but most are in the south of the country, we have done Bergen /Oslo area many years ago so entered Norway from Sweden further north ----the really expensive ferry then later years the tunnel to get to North cape is now free!!!! But there is a fee to do the last few hundred yards------ doing the whole trip on the cheap we objected to paying that, so have been a few yards short of the "tourist" north cape------- the real northern most point is a walk to access and none of us were up to that!!!!
The speed limits are very low and penalties for speeding and drink driving are SEVERE------- take your time and ease up on drinking!!!!
As I said before Norway and Sweden are motorhome heaven--- in Sweden we wildcamp all the time and many spots have fire pits/ BBQs set up for your use and lots of them even have firewood to use------please do not remove the firewood to use elsewhere, that is extremely disrespectful of local hospitality!!!!!!!!!!
There are long drop toilets everywhere so dumping loos is no problem ----- while dumping in them miss out loo chemical (if you use it) as it goes into the ground!!!

Adverts