On our own in France

Well, 7 months in, house gone, here we are near Castres in France, no neighbours and wet, via Portugal, Spain (it was a strange route) I couldn't get on with Spanish Med although my wife is Spanish, no trees, no birds, better weather though. But it's not the be all and end all. Took the dog up through the fields this morning in the drizzle and I though this is OK, don't want to be in a desert, lot's of people in Andalusia and Maroc, don't know why apart from the sun. Chug around here for a bit and do some fishing.

BigMomma

No Tree's ? No Birds ? On Spanish Med ? Did you just hug the Coast and how far inland did you go. We have just returned from a short trip in the mountains, forest full of tree's and loads of walking trails, loads of birds including Eagles and Buzzards and the smaller varieties, lots of mountain rivers, gorges etc.

No, we went inland too, up the Ebro, it was better there I agree, I suppose I just prefer deciduous woods, just a bit rocky for me.
The best are was the Albufera in Valencia, that was good, but I still prefer the diversity of France.

BigMomma

Yes, I guess we all have our favourite Countries and/or areas. My particular favourite areas are the Black Forest and Southern Bavaria in Germany, but then I suppose I also like the Northern Alpine regions of Italy and the pink granite cliffs in Brittany........... that's the wonderful thing about travelling, there are so many wonderful places to see Keep enjoying your adventures

sundowners

You would have preferred Portugal normally then ---------however, there are massive areas at the moment where the trees that are left are just charred remains !!!!!!! The little amount of rain since the fires in the centre (October) has started some green on the ground, so it's not looking quite so bleak now, the Eucalyptus trees thrive on fires and are starting to shoot. They still need some more rain to carry them through the hot dry summer !!! Very dry at the moment touch of frost some nights then beautiful warm sunny days

BigMomma

Why did I forget to put Portugal on my list :wasntme: I really enjoyed driving the West Coast, the rugged coastline, fine Sandy beaches and coves and the massive Atlantic breakers, the Algarve and it's beaches, but I really need to spend more time inland, so many places still to see..........:thumb:

You would have preferred Portugal normally then ---------however, there are massive areas at the moment where the trees that are left are just charred remains !!!!!!!
Yes, we saw that all the way down, really sad. The coast was better though, we went as far as Fatima. The Algarve is on the list but I hear it's busy during the Winter.

sundowners

Wild camping is virtually a no no now in Algarve coastal areas, but done sensibly is still very good in most of Portugal---- there are plenty of Aires around the country, most of the Aires in the Algarve are now pay ones, they are set-up as campsites , the process to legalise a proper campsite is very slow and complicated I believe ??

I'm surprised by the comments from the OP as I tend to go to Spain to do my birdwatching! Eagles, vultures, flamingoes etc. Proper birds them not little brown jobs! If you get off the coast down in the Costa's and go inland you'll find the real Spain; everything from colourful deserts to the mighty Sierra Nevada mountain range. Nothing like watching the desert go red as the sun slowly sinks, like being in a Clint Eastwood western!

vwalan

cant beat being by laguna gallocanta in november . can get as many as 55,000 cranes stopping on the lake as they are on their travels .
and as you say the griffin vultures in many of the canyons makes it sort of scary if youstop and feel tired . ha ha . never know in some there are rown bears and wolves .
havnt seen them but have seen what looked like droppings etc they left behind .
plus in some places the ibex are a great animal to watch. like magic watching them go up and down cliffs etc .

cant beat being by laguna gallocanta in november . can get as many as 55,000 cranes stopping on the lake as they are on their travels .
and as you say the griffin vultures in many of the canyons makes it sort of scary if youstop and feel tired . ha ha . never know in some there are rown bears and wolves .
havnt seen them but have seen what looked like droppings etc they left behind .
plus in some places the ibex are a great animal to watch. like magic watching them go up and down cliffs etc .
Spot-on VW, great wildlife, corners of Spain are more like Africa than Europe, I always feel it's more of an adventure down there. Mind you don't doze off with them vultures around, they might think you're dinner...

vwalan

we go to the canyon los lobos , you may know it . you can walk several km in the canyon .
take some sarnies and a drink .
in the sun you lie back and think just have a rest a few minutes . then see the vultures over head.
they really are ok , but doesnt stop you thinking best keep moving .
have seen a few eagles down by the old roman village with the baths los canos de meca way.
there is so much to see .
we like driving up through the national parks in spring . see red squirrels , red deer. wild boars . and the birds on the lakes etc fantastic . oh and the snakes squirming across the roads amazing .
mind in western spain sometimes the herds of cattle up on the plains you could feel you are in america , thewest side is totally different to the middle or east side going up/down.