Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Gabbie, Jul 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gabbie

Gabbie New Member

Hi everybody, my name is Gabbie. New to this site.
    I have a motorhome,I am fed up paying for property , electric, community charge, oil central heating etc. Would love to full time.
    I’m in Scotland so anyone out there fulltiming here, maybe you could give me some pointers.

Ramblin' Rose likes this.
  2. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

hi, hello.
    i cant help with scotland , but i shall have a word with purple bob from fort william .he is here for awhile as we are converting a new camper for him.
    i say dont live in the cold north .
    mind its nice to get off some where warm in winter.
    the world is getting smaller these days . loads of m,homers getting to warmer climes in winter.
    have fun and drive safe .
    have a good read of some of the old threads many things have been talked about over the past few years .
    but dont be afraid to ask .
    cheers alan .

3. SteveG

SteveG New Member

Welcome Gabbie.

I'm also from Scotland and we have done some wildcamping there (mostly up the far North West and on the islands). No idea about options for fulltiming in Scotland though.

4. Gabbie

Gabbie New Member

I was thinking about the islands, done Skye
    Lewis Harris. Orkney a couple of years ago. Last year did the east coast 500.
    Durness took my breath away, fantastic.
    Like to go to Coll and Tiree
    Happy motorhoming
    Gabbie

5. SteveG

SteveG New Member

We've been to Skye with our motorhome several times, as well as doing one longer trip from Barra up to Lewis. Wild camping was find back then, however I think there are more motorhomes doing it now so can be some issues.

The Durness site is pretty good and I've heard it's cheap in the winter.

6. Gabbie

Gabbie New Member

I want to sell my house and try fulltiming. I believe the Motorhome I have would be suitable. 7.4m Rollerteam T line . I have the 120w Solar on roof and a gas gen. comes on when the batteries drop to 9v so I could survive off grid.
    Where are you living now
    I’m near Carnoustie Angus

Ramblin' Rose likes this.
  7. SteveG

SteveG New Member

We're currently living in London but also have a house in Edinburgh - but are expecting to return back to Scotland soon, to prep for our own first go at a long-term motorhome trip.

8. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome:thumb:
    Not been to Scotland for over 15 years so can't help with that.
    Nowt wrong with a rollerteam.

9. Gabbie

Gabbie New Member

Hi Chris
    I have lived long term in a Motorhome while renovating cottages. But that was different, on my own land and used the bathroom in property water electric and washing machine etc.
    I’m intending to sell my house and give fulltiming a go
    A wee bit apprehensive

Farside1 and Ramblin' Rose like this.
  10. Farside1

Farside1 New Member

About to join the club. My wife passed away recently and I can't settle. We've always loved caravans and Motorhomes and I'm currently in our static but it's up for sale so I can fund a new motorhome for me and our 2 dogs.
    Initially I will stick around the UK with winter in Spain. Nervous - I guess everyone's big worry is finding sites where you won't be moved on. The places I need to be for family there are no CL's but Britstops looks promising.

11. SteveG

SteveG New Member

We've been giving some thought to the over-winter thing as well. With the motorhome it looks like there are plenty of options in Europe - Southern Spain or Portugal, Sicily or Greece all come up - along with Morocco. It does also look like there are options to rent somewhere for a few months and it doesn't look like that'd be any more expensive that staying in the motorhome, so we're thinking about those as well.

Renting in the Dordogne for 3 months over the winter might be useful for us as one of the longer term options we're considering is buying a place down there.

Farside1 likes this.
  12. chrisjones18

chrisjones18 Well-Known Member

Have you thought of "house sitting" , not for us but could work for some.

13. Farside1

Farside1 New Member

Thanks but with 2 dogs it's probably not too practical. I did consider a long term winter let in Spain as an option but for this winter I think I will meander down and around the Costa del Sol to see how it feels

14. Gabbie

Gabbie New Member

Hi
    hi Fireside1
    Like you, no CL’s around here where my family stays. So keeping my eyes open locally for overnight parking places.
    Someone suggested industrial estates, quiet at night and weekends and grass around to open your door onto.
    Here in Scotland if police come and they see your not of the travelling community, they give a wave to say ok. I suppose you would need to have maybe half a dozen places to alternate
    Then you would be going away some place for a few days or whatever. I always think I have luck at parking around harbours, usually standpipes and toilets
    This is just my thoughts but it is a bit scary to take the initial plunge
    All the best
    Gabbie

Farside1 likes this.