Motorhome Insurance

Hi everyone,
Trying to find motorhome Insurance that covers us living permanently in our motorhome. Tried a couple of insurance companies but they need uk address and being on the electoral roll. Anyone know of a insurance company for full timers in motorhomes with no uk abode .

There's only one company that does what you need, Comfort Insurance, it's not cheap by any means but you get what you pay for, I've been with them for eleven years.

chrisjones18

The RAC also do fulltime cover (Bristol head office) my quote was more than comfort
I think it all goes back to Victor Millwel ( aviva insurance).
A few others are brokers,
NFU Louth branch are another.

BigMomma

I have my Fulltimer Motorhome Insurance with 'Comfort' and have a RAC European Breakdown cover bolted on to it. It does what it says on the tin :thumb: You do not need to own a property in the U.K. or be on the Electoral Register, you can use a UK contact address (Family member, Freind) but the address you provide must be on your vehicle registration document and driving licence. Have had this for 5 years now and recommend it :thumb:

vwalan

:D:D
I have my Fulltimer Motorhome Insurance with 'Comfort' and have a RAC European Breakdown cover bolted on to it. It does what it says on the tin :thumb: You do not need to own a property in the U.K. or be on the Electoral Register, you can use a UK contact address (Family member, Freind) but the address you provide must be on your vehicle registration document and driving licence. Have had this for 5 years now and recommend it :thumb:
get away you live in spain . should have your vehicles etc all in spanish by now .
only come back here to syeal jobs the locals could do. hee hee.
still got your flat in spain i believe .
forgot the name of the estate .:D:giggle:

Easyliving

I renewed our Comfort fulltimers policy last month, £845 which is less than some pay.

I think its worth it for peace of mind in case we have a prang.

I was talking to a fulltimer a couple of weeks ago, he has an ordinary policy (much cheaper) but he still owns a house and all the utility bills are in his name.

Paul

BigMomma

:D:D
get away you live in spain . should have your vehicles etc all in spanish by now .
only come back here to syeal jobs the locals could do. hee hee.
still got your flat in spain i believe .
forgot the name of the estate .:D:giggle:
Living permanently in Spain is but one of our options in the future, but we have several options still open to us, there is no rush to make a decision just now, our work/life balance is pretty good right at this moment and we are enjoying our current lifestyle so why change a good thing, work for 6 months and have 6 months off :thumb: We own our flat in Spain, on a very nice estate and we are mortgage free and now as the property prices over there have been are rising Year on year since we purchased it, it now makes it a good investment if we ever decide to sell it.

The thing is that we still have options and until this buggers muddle called 'Brexit' is sorted we feel we are in a good position to just sit, watch and wait and enjoy the best of both worlds whilst doing so :) :cool:

vwalan

habler Hispaniola?
hard to know what its going to be like soon. i imagine once we are out then most insurers wont cover eu . or make us pay extra etc .
not sure but i think aib insure fulltimers .
i decided years ago keep a uk place .
makes life simpler.
mind lots are selling and returning to uk.
living down here quite alot of houses locally have recently been sold to ones that have come back from spain.
but insurance wise it might be that renting a room from a relative etc makes sense . can be on the electoral role pay a very little rent and just not live there all the time .

BigMomma

Cannot see Insurers stopping giving cover for EU Countries, they provide cover for non-EU Countries now, but you may be right about charging an additional premium for a 'Green Card' or something similar. But that is the thing about watching and waiting, it will eventually all get sorted in the wash as they say. I can see no logic for Expats already residing in EU Countries to come back to UK, unless of course they want to, but Brexit will not have that much impact. It is no more expensive to live in Spain than it is to live in the UK, although I cannot speak for other EU Countries. It is true that the Spanish Taxation System (Personal Income) is slightly higher than the UK but some of the Living Costs are cheaper, Council Tax for instance is generally much more expensive in U.K. as are the Water Rates. I have been running a financial spreadsheet of all our costs (UK and Spain) for the last 3 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Although expenses vary depending on type of house, location etc in U.K., my personal opinion is that, dependent on individual lifestyles of course, we could certainly live over there as economically as we could over here but the biggest disadvantage to living in Spain is the cost of Private Medical Insurance, the biggest advantage being the health benefits of the temperate climate. I actually like the UK and would not rule out selling up in Spain and buying a small place over here again, but it is waiting to see the final outcome of 'Brexit' and the limitations of future EU travel. We still have ambitions to tour Countries within the EU (as well as touring the UK) so we can afford to play the waiting game then consider the travel logistics once we have the information we require to make an informed decision :thumb:

vwalan

before we joined the eec many countries we had to buy border insurance .
some do cover non eu countries but not many . even those that do very often want to charge a fee.
mind even now most dont give out the eu accident report forms .
luckily i got several a few years ago. all written out in various languages . both vehicles etc fill it in after an accident .
think many arent correctly living in spain etc . havnt registered with them properly . or classed as temporary.

BigMomma

think many arent correctly living in spain etc . havnt registered with them properly . or classed as temporary.
I am sure there are lots of people who are flying under the radar, right now it doesn't seem to matter whilst we are part of the EU and the 'Authorities' are not enforcing the 90 day rule, but let's see what happens after Brexit if no mutual arrangements are agreed ? You cannot own a property in Spain and obtain Utilities (Water, Electric, Phone Lines) without registering and obtaining a NIE Number but you may get around this if you 'rent' a property. You can also stay beyond the 90 days as long as you register with the local Police. But like a lot of things these days, some people will find ways around a system and take the risk of getting away with it for as long as they can, it happens all over the world. It is a bit like people flying under the radar with not declaring fulltiming with their Motorhome Insurers or overstaying the time allowed on their travel or work VISA's, Benefit Frauds etc. etc. etc. I try to do things right, especially in Spain as I do not want to give the Authorities any reason to decline our application for 'Permanent' residency if we choose to take that route in the future :thumb:

BigMomma

Comfort have conditions on the age of the vehicle and it's value.Adrian Flux covers my full timing,a c/o address was enough for them
It is always good to hear of other 'Insurers' that provide proper 'Fulltimers' Insurance, the more choices, more competition, then this should start to bring down the costs, hopefully :thumb:

Sueboo

Hello BigMomma in Spain
Just out of interest you are given a spanish N.I. number if a parent lived there. I know this because my other half parents lived there and when they died and left a Spanish Will being executers you are automatically given a NI number which can come in handy.:thumb:

vwalan

Hello BigMomma in Spain
Just out of interest you are given a spanish N.I. number if a parent lived there. I know this because my other half parents lived there and when they died and left a Spanish Will being executers you are automatically given a NI number which can come in handy.:thumb:
he isnt in spain at the moment . he has come back to steal our uk jobs etc .
hee hee.
spends more time in uk than spain.
good job he knows i,m only taking the micky though.
might even have a drive out and crack a few tins with him one day. mind i might have to cross the border in to england from Kernow.
he did live down here several years ago when he was dressed as action man. ha ha .

vwalan

yes , waking up in the morning is always the start of a good day.
had rv rick round this morning . in his dental surgery van camper .
ideal ,he gets to park up in many places most wouldnt be able to.
almost had a full garden . got bobs truck and his new van here , plus my truck.
expecting , two more next week. good job my neighbours are ok.
life is always about the good times , if we only look for good and note the bad but dont let them bother us lifes ok.

BigMomma

Hello BigMomma in Spain
Hi sueboo, I am not in Spain I am in Devon. I work as a Warden on a Campsite during the Summer and then spend the Autumn/Winter months in Spain. When you say Spanish NI Number are you referring to National Insurance, which is different to a NIE Number.

BigMomma

he isnt in spain at the moment . he has come back to steal our uk jobs etc .
hee hee.
spends more time in uk than spain.
good job he knows i,m only taking the micky though.
might even have a drive out and crack a few tins with him one day. mind i might have to cross the border in to england from Kernow.
he did live down here several years ago when he was dressed as action man. ha ha .
You know far too much about me Alan :giggle: