Motorhome Free Camping France 1,700 Sites

vwalan

but it might be the pils that caused the problem .i bet he is wineing as well. hee hee
never mind its sunny beer as well.
might have to whiskey him away. ha ha .

BigMomma

Breakdowns - Don't forget to take my medications, unless of course the medication is for my memory loss in which case I wouldn't remember why I was taking it in the first place :rofl:
You can get pills for that:)[/quote]

I much prefer to take the German Pils :thumb: (Pilsner lager just commonly referred to as 'Pils')

Merle

You can get pills for that:)
I much prefer to take the German Pils :thumb: (Pilsner lager just commonly referred to as 'Pils')[/quote]
Are you drinking to forget or have you fogotten why you are drinking?:) Or could it be that drinking to forget has caused you to forget why you forgot to take the pills that stop you forgetting:rofl:

matt

Hi all, I dont have a 'conventional ' motorhome-it is a fiat scudo van that I have 'converted' myself. Not sure if there is some sort of code of good practice regarding Aires but would I be able to park up in them considering I do not have a white 'battle bus'.
Any advice would be welcome as my wife and I are about to embark on our first road trip round France in August for 3 weeks.
Many thanks;)

Pollik

I can't think of any reason why not and have certainly seen a fair few van conversions on aires.

Hmmm, maybe I had better buy that as well just in case.......

This will be our first time abroad in our van and maybe I have gone a bit overboard with the books and atlases but they don't cost a fortune and might come in useful.

I have been busy decluttering the van and clearing out all the stuff we will never use, meanwhile SWMBO has been busy putting it all back ;)

Paul
We have stayed on many aires over the past 5 years, one in Dieppe had space for 62 vans and we were number 63 so we didn't get any 'leccie, but we were welcome to stay. Some of the bigger ones even have a bread man come in the morning. Most are very good, some you just have someone come along every day to collect the money and some you have to pay in a machine. Must admit one where the old lady came along every morning at 8.00am it was amusing to see all the vans trying to get off site before she arrived.

The one in Nuit St. Georges was a bit remote and we were glad when someone else came along (safety in numbers). The only time we have been in a dodgy situation was one lunchtime in France we pulled into a layby and were hassled by some gypsies. One thing we learned, always park as close to the exit of a layby as possible so that no-one can park in front of you and box you in - just in case you need a quick getaway as we did then.

The best aires of all though were the ones dotted all along the Moselle Valley (ok they are stelplatz, same same but different). That was one of the best holidays we have had. Can't wait to go full-timing!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your holiday.

Easyliving

We have stayed on many aires over the past 5 years, one in Dieppe had space for 62 vans and we were number 63 so we didn't get any 'leccie, but we were welcome to stay. Some of the bigger ones even have a bread man come in the morning. Most are very good, some you just have someone come along every day to collect the money and some you have to pay in a machine. Must admit one where the old lady came along every morning at 8.00am it was amusing to see all the vans trying to get off site before she arrived.

The one in Nuit St. Georges was a bit remote and we were glad when someone else came along (safety in numbers). The only time we have been in a dodgy situation was one lunchtime in France we pulled into a layby and were hassled by some gypsies. One thing we learned, always park as close to the exit of a layby as possible so that no-one can park in front of you and box you in - just in case you need a quick getaway as we did then.

The best aires of all though were the ones dotted all along the Moselle Valley (ok they are stelplatz, same same but different). That was one of the best holidays we have had. Can't wait to go full-timing!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your holiday.

We have done a couple of trips to France / Germany now, including 4 months last year so we know our way round the aires / stellplatz system. I reckon we have stayed on about 40 or so aires in France and never found a bad one.

There are some good videos on Youtube showing French aires, in particular this one :
. Video'd from one of those forward facing cameras. Click on the video posters name for many more.

Paul

BwB

Handy if there are any awkward aires. Luckily most of them are straight forward to get parked up on although some of the "services" can give you something to think about (especially those times when there is no one about to ask or watch until you start to use it and then a queue forms with lots of tutting :) ) (or does that only happen to me!)

Paul Rogan

A wise sage has told me that many Hyper Markets, Le Clerc and Carrefor etc have laundry booths in their car parks and also service points for Motor Homers. Can anyone confirm please?

BwB

I think I'd say "some" rather than many. Service points are not a problem in France with their Campingcar Aires system, they're very well set up for motorhoming (just take a selection of tap fittings if you use a hose to fill up) some charge a few euro for water but most are still free. Laundry booths are found but they come and go. You normally stumble across one before too long though.

Merle

We saw one Carrefor with laundry facilities so I guess there are more. Quite a lot of Repsol forecourts in Spain have laundrettes. You could keep an eye out for Norauto in both France and Spain (Halfords type of place) for servicing and some basic spares

BigMomma

A wise sage has told me that many Hyper Markets, Le Clerc and Carrefor etc have laundry booths in their car parks and also service points for Motor Homers. Can anyone confirm please?
If you have the Aires books or Camperstop Europe, where it lists the Supermarkets that offer Motorhome Services it will usually also state if they have laundry facilities. Some of the general information on Aires Sites also list what 'other' services are nearby e.g. Laundrette 100 metres :thumb:

Steve Freeman

Or, if you have large MH, fit a mini washing machine!
Even better, vwalan apparently has an entire chinese laundry, dry cleaning service and take-away "somewhere down the back end of his trailer, where he doesn't go that often anymore", to whom you can send your clothes for a small fee, and come home with a number 17 (chicken fried rice) :)

Alternatively, you could just say that this is the problem with drinking E1.98 cava in the warn sunshine.

hpold

Yes, if there is going to be a problem it will usually be with the service point. The only place where we were completely stumped was at Langres (fabulous town) where they had some kind of custom hose connection. Even most of the French were confused.

By the way the link for the rest of the aires videos is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield?feature=watch
The french have a different connection normally gardinia but you can get them in france at the garden stores. You will need the male and female connections .

hpold

We saw one Carrefor with laundry facilities so I guess there are more. Quite a lot of Repsol forecourts in Spain have laundrettes. You could keep an eye out for Norauto in both France and Spain (Halfords type of place) for servicing and some basic spares
Most Carrefor have places for moho and some are advertised on the net as motor homes welcome.

hpold

Or, if you have large MH, fit a mini washing machine!
Even better, vwalan apparently has an entire chinese laundry, dry cleaning service and take-away "somewhere down the back end of his trailer, where he doesn't go that often anymore", to whom you can send your clothes for a small fee, and come home with a number 17 (chicken fried rice) :)

Alternatively, you could just say that this is the problem with drinking E1.98 cava in the warn sunshine.
You could do better drop it off at the salvation army and buy them back the next day washed cleaned and pressed a bit quicker than vwalan chinese laundry . Have you seen the way they iron them? they take a mouth full of water and spray it out have seen it donein Honkers.:thumb:

Steve Freeman

Have you seen the way they iron them? they take a mouth full of water and spray it out have seen it donein Honkers.:thumb:
There is a rumour that vwalan makes them use Argus. I suppose that is worse.

vwalan

no ironing in my laundry. modern fabrics and sunshine .
any way sally army sell fish . 3 hapence a dish.

Adverts