Looking to buy a 43 ft fifth wheeler

Hi, I’m hoping someone can shed a bit of light.. me and my partner are looking to buy a fifth wheeler to live in full time, we have young children.. we currently live in Warwickshire, both have jobs, and schools for the children.. is there any campsites near Coventry or rugby that are likely to accept full time stays? How easy is it to find campsites and what are the legalities? If someone could shed light to any of my questions that would be brilliant, we were all set for the idea but my partner is now a bit disheartened thinking it’s not as easy as it seems.. could someone please give advice or knowledge of what is it like having to move a 5th wheeler of this size, living in a smaller space with children or how easy you find campsites?

BigMomma

Most Campsites are of the 'Touring' variety and not the 'Residential' variety and have a limit to the maximum number of nights you can stay e.g. 21 or 28 nights then you have to leave for 48 hours before returning. However, there are 'Private' sites that 'may' permit longer stays but do not advertise the fact openly, so you may have to visit or contact individual sites and ask them the question. Your partner may be correct in thinking that this 'new lifestyle' will not be easy to sort out, but that does not mean that it is not possible, if you want something bad enough you will find a way to make it happen ;)

sundowners

Hi
A 43' 5er is massive!!! Unless you have an HGV 1 and an artic. unit you will have to get it moved for you------- not difficult but will work out expensive if you cannot find a permanent site, there are campsites that will allow a permanent stay but not entirely legal (you -- or they will be liable for poll tax)
Campsites that take a trailer that size are very rare.
Even if you had your own piece of land you could not legally live in the 5er there without planning permission!!!!!
Any chance of leaving it where it is?????
Fairground people have sites they use legally for the winter---- also there are some hippy camps around ------ maybe you could find one of these?????
You will almost certainly finish up living illegally to some extent???? But that is not so bad if you can be discreet------ but not easy with kids and that size trailer!!!!

I don't think I've ever seen a 5th wheeler that big on a UK campsite although I'm sure you'd find someone who'd take it. Are you planning to travel with it or just to site it permanently? If the latter then I'd have though a static caravan might be a better option.

BigMomma

H
Hi, I’m hoping someone can shed a bit of light.. me and my partner are looking to buy a fifth wheeler to live in full time, we have young children.. we currently live in Warwickshire, both have jobs, and schools for the children.. is there any campsites near Coventry or rugby that are likely to accept full time stays? How easy is it to find campsites and what are the legalities? If someone could shed light to any of my questions that would be brilliant, we were all set for the idea but my partner is now a bit disheartened thinking it’s not as easy as it seems.. could someone please give advice or knowledge of what is it like having to move a 5th wheeler of this size, living in a smaller space with children or how easy you find campsites?
Hi Sarah, you do not explain why you plan on moving permanently into a fifth wheeler, so I am assuming, as you are keeping your jobs and the children remaining at their schools, that it is a financial exercise as opposed to a travel adventure ? As Steve says above, would it not be more practical to look for a static van on a residential site ? I do not know where Nigel and Pamela got the information about your fifth wheeler being 43 feet long but if this is correct then you are definitely doing it the hard way, a large family Caravan with Awning would be a more practical and manoeuvrable solution :thumb:

sundowners

I do not know where Nigel and Pamela got the information about your fifth wheeler being 43 feet long but if this is correct then you are definitely doing it the hard way, a large family Caravan with Awning would be a more practical and manoeuvrable solution :thumb:

It's in the title of the thread---------- I am quietly hoping that it is a typo.
34' or so would present less headaches!!!!!!

chrisjones18

Hi and welcome:thumb:
I hope you have the wrong length of vehicle in your post.
You would need a lbw arctic unit to move it due to the pin position. A pick up type would be no good.
As said though you would need to visit sites and ask about long term pitches.
Google and the like list them but when you look at them they come up over 50's only.
I have seen this type listed in the past but a tablet dont seem to list as good as a computer.

Hi Sarah
We live in Bedworth ... Can't help with the 5 the wheeler but on the campsite front ,look at holy fast caravan park its in allseley , when we were motor homing we used to stop there just to get out the house there were a few workmen caravans there. It has all the facilities including laundry .
If no good there is sites in bulkington/wolvey that take long termers.