Looking for an overnight stay in Spain....to start with anyway

Mike7692

Good afternoon everybody,

We are off an a 2 week trip through France into Spain in a few weeks to visit friends now living in Torrevieja, south of Alicante. My estimated timings should get us to somewhere near Tortosa, just off the E-15 south of Tarrgona. Now, this being our first trip in the van to Spain I've bought All the Aires Spain/Portugal and found a rather large aire in Tortosa, but I wondered if anybody had any suggestions of other 'places' to stop, or any experience of this particular aire. We only need one night as we're booked onto a site near our friends for a few days before leaving and having a ramble back to Eurotunnel in our own time.
Your invaluable experience & help is most welcome :thumb:
Cheers Mike

vwalan

just find a quiet car park and park. put nothing outside it will be ok.

vwalan

mind flying does make your arms ache . ha ha .
at least you get to see what immigration to spain is making .
we do stop abit further south but torrie is well have a look for yourselves .
mind cheap diesel at lazenia just south of there up by leroy merlins .

Mike7692

Thanks guys! I was thinking maybe something more scenic than a car park....our friends live in Orihuela hopefully it's better than torre is being suggested Alan.

vwalan

no its not . we use the lidl there. we stop at punta prima . but even there its like tourist town.
my brother as friends in orihuela . i certainly am amazed so many live there. there is alsorts to do in torre . we have been stopping there that many years we know several of the locals . only stop a week or so . but its definately only a place to stop for a few days .
you gotta go and see though .
remember i know that coast almost as good as the coast of cornwall.
every village as a carpark . usually a tap or font .
but there is so many nice places to stop cant put them all on here .
just keep your eyues open ,you will see them. away from the coast stopping isnt a problem.

Mike7692

Ok cheers Alan. I've got to get my head into the mindset of changing plans, I've always been a 'planner' but this lifestyle needs a little randomness. And we've only been to France so Spain is something new.

vwalan

france is easier every village just lets you stop there.
we have a plan .......
there is no plan.....
but really you will get the hang of it . ideally you have ex amount of time to do as you please .
unfortunately you this trip have a date to be somewhere i guess .
but med spain as well as other places takes some believing . i travelled it as a child and all my life . the english ,german ,dutch etc have made a real mess of it .
but have a good time . its possible to enjoy it . even if its only to have a laugh at what others think is lovely.
we just go for warmth in winter.
just a thought let us know what the new lidl extention is like at orihuela playa . it was closed last winter having alot of work done to it.

Mike7692

france is easier every village just lets you stop there.
we have a plan .......
there is no plan.....
but really you will get the hang of it . ideally you have ex amount of time to do as you please .
unfortunately you this trip have a date to be somewhere i guess .
but med spain as well as other places takes some believing . i travelled it as a child and all my life . the english ,german ,dutch etc have made a real mess of it .
but have a good time . its possible to enjoy it . even if its only to have a laugh at what others think is lovely.
just a thought let us know what the new lidl extention is like at orihuela playa . it was closed last winter having alot of work done to it.
Yes Alan we have to be down that way for a date so planning 3 days to get there, 3 days with friends then ramble back. I know its a long way but it will be our furthest trip in the van, rest of the time although we fulltime it just sits on site while we're still working.

Mike7692

Mike if you don't want to park in a carpark there is a campsite not far from orihuela called Lo Monte.
Thanks Sue, that's our final destination. We're booked there Mon-Fri while visiting friends

Sueboo

[QUOTE="vwalan,

Not sure that I could go to the same place every year and not really like it apart from the weather. There are loads of places in the world where you can be assured of good weather:)

vwalan

yes there are but travel to some are a bit difficult at the moment .
i think travel through Syria,jordon egypt could be a bit dangerous ,also tunisia libya egypt.
even driving to india isnt quite easy either.
there are some great places in spain , but there are alot of council estates by the sea with glasgow style tenement blocks sold as apartments . all funny to see and know northern europeans pay lots for them.
i did for about 16 yrs just drive through a bit quick and go to morocco ,but got a bit fed up with that. have done tunisia twice but thats no warmer than spain . morocco ,Mauritanian ,senegal ,gambia was nice but alot of mild hassle and costs .etc dont always make it easy.
i actually prefer cantabria ,asturia , galecia , myself and do spend abit of time there . have wintered in them but its not really warm or dry enough for a full winter.
we dont have to like all of what we see but i do prefer the warm dry atmosphere .

Sueboo

Points taken Alan. Have you ever thought oh somewhere like Australia, you could hire a truck and get some great weather.

vwalan

did think about it but decided there was no need . i also like my own vehicle .
as i have difficulty walking and dont surf like i used to the idea isnt there anymore .
i did drive to india years ago that was ok . but its hassle .
i used to like the arab countries they were so friendly .
i just got that the changes there made it not what i wanted. plus i can do spain ,portugal very economically .
no need to spend alot . i can take food etc from uk where many things are cheaper .bring back some of the cheaper things from them to last while here.
its a shame spain is so snowy and wet inland in winter as its full of adventures and places to visit .
as it is we avoid many of the tourist places on the med and visit others .

hpold

You have your spot a bit late , also depends which way you enter spain form the top or bottom. We drove through france and then down through pampalona on the free motorway to save time plenty of stops at the petrol station whch have all night caffee places for trucks and not noisy . Have a safe trip and if any one point at the van when you are driving dont stop its a con just make out that you are calling on your handy .

hpold

did think about it but decided there was no need . i also like my own vehicle .
as i have difficulty walking and dont surf like i used to the idea isnt there anymore .
i did drive to india years ago that was ok . but its hassle .
i used to like the arab countries they were so friendly .
i just got that the changes there made it not what i wanted. plus i can do spain ,portugal very economically .
no need to spend alot . i can take food etc from uk where many things are cheaper .bring back some of the cheaper things from them to last while here.
its a shame spain is so snowy and wet inland in winter as its full of adventures and places to visit .
as it is we avoid many of the tourist places on the med and visit others .
About time you wote a book you seem to be more travelled than Micheal Palin.

vwalan

i probably could . but wont.
as it is micheal palin just seems to be going around taking the piss out of the locals .
i,m sure a few n here have travelled to all the areas he is supposed to have gone . and see how him and his mate bear grilles never tell the truth . oh look at that mountain and we are in the desert....
turn around and they would be just a few hundred yards from a village .

Adverts