Just Waking Up to Brexit ?

BigMomma

Although none of us, even now, know what the outcome and potential impact of Brexit, will be, we have at least been discussing it on 'this forum' for some time now. So you may understand my amazement to discover just recently, and I mean just over the last couple of days !! whilst reading 'other' blog posts that some people (UK Motorhomers) are only just waking up to the realities of the 'potential' impact it may have on their travel plans. I am reading comments on blog posts relating to 'Brexit' whereby people have recently, within the last couple of months, sold their properties and made travel plans to tour the 'EU' fulltime but are only now asking questions on how Brexit may affect their travels ? Really !! Is it possible that with less than three months to go until we potentially crash out of the EU with a 'no deal' scenario, whereby the 90 day travel restrictions could be implemented with effect from 29th March, or at best, with a 'deal' the 90 day travel restrictions may not come into effect until December 2020, that some people are only just considering what effect this may have on their nomadic lifestyle. Now of course, we still do not know what will happen, it may be that there will be a second referendum and the decision to remain in the EU is taken but surely, if you were thinking of making such changes to your lifestyle, you would surely have considered the worst case scenario much earlier in your planning process ? From the questions I have seen posted on some of these 'blog' sites it would appear that many have not !! Not just questions about the potential 90 day travel restrictions but also asking questions on 'fulltime Insurance for vehicles', Medical Cover once the EHIC is potentially no longer available, it beggars belief that some people are only just considering these aspects now. Of course, none of us can provide answers as we do not know the actual outcome of Brexit, but surely, it is not about having the answers but more about when people should have been considering the questions ?

vwalan

dont worry about it . many still think we joined the common market years ago. they never even knew it was really the european economic community.
be much better once we leave the eu. go back to few weeks spain then 90 days maroc or tunisia . then back for a few weeks then home.
just think of uk as being one of the countries that have never joined the eec/eu and the rules are there.
lets hope the talked about shipping and ferry to maroc does happen then we wont have to go to the eu at all.
africa is an amazing country.

BigMomma

As you already know Alan, Brexit is not something that I personally have any concerns about, have been considering options, logistics, contingencies etc. for some time now :thumb: I just find it unbelievable that their appears, from the blog questions that I am reading, that some people appear to have been away on another planet for the last couple of years, or have had their heads buried in the sand but have already sold up, bought a Motorhome and planned on fulltiming in the 'EU' without thinking about the implications that 'Brexit' may have on such plans. As you say, their are options, but it would appear that some people do not want to go to Africa or spend extended periods of time in some of the non-EU countries. UK of course has lots of nice places, even in retirement I have no issues with spending 90 days in U.K. In my Motorhome, then 90 days in the EU, then back to U.K. Or even Morocco for 90 days but at least we have considered the options and the logistics, there are those it would appear that have not ?

Easyliving

Not suprisingly, any mention of Brexit has been banned on M365's sister site Motorhome Fun, its a pretty contentious issue and everyone has their point of view. Personally, i doubt there will be another in / out referendum - the people have spoken and it would be undemocratic to have another vote.

As for not planning for all eventualities as is quite common its probably because we just don't know what is going to happen yet.

The UK is the worlds 5th / 6th largest economy and we are a major customer for many EU companies, i just can't see us being 'punished' for leaving the EU.

Paul

chrisjones18

As you say Eric, some people have no idea and assume things won't change... They do need to think about after 2020 with a deal as it might not be a good one for the uk.
We have family that live in Spain and they have no intention of leaving there. Nothing has been said to them by any authorities. They are registered with the local council and pay local taxes, much the same as you I expect.
I see a Spanish reg CI in the future if needed. Tuv is a simple affair where my son lives.

coolasluck

How can it be undemocratic to have another vote? I have heard this bullshit banded around over the last few months now and it just makes me angry along with Theresa Mays bullshit about just getting on with it before preventing debate and the
Vote. In or out not halfway in and its undemocratic of a prime minister to do what she thinks is best instead of what the vote was all about in the first place. Instead of wasting time she should have been working for leaving end of story. The African continent has no appeal to us.In fact any other place would be preferable even the moon! The only way to travel in the e.u may be with a 6 month visa,with the downside of being u.k bound for 6 months or having to go to another non r.u country. I'm praying for another vote it's the only sensible way to go forward. In or out ? What has our government been doing?

BigMomma

Not suprisingly, any mention of Brexit has been banned on M365's sister site Motorhome Fun, its a pretty contentious issue and everyone has their point of view. Personally, i doubt there will be another in / out referendum - the people have spoken and it would be undemocratic to have another vote.

As for not planning for all eventualities as is quite common its probably because we just don't know what is going to happen yet.

The UK is the worlds 5th / 6th largest economy and we are a major customer for many EU companies, i just can't see us being 'punished' for leaving the EU.

Paul
I agree that it is a contentious subject and also agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that is not what this post is about. Whatever happens, and we cannot rule out anything, leaving without a deal, leaving with a deal or indeed another vote but it is about people not even considering the 'potential' impact on their lifestyle having sold up and planning on fulltiming in the 'EU'. It is not about people who are doing it now, or those that chose the lifestyle before the Referendum was ever muted, certainly when we sold up back in September 2013 there was no mention of leaving the EU. At least those that chose the lifestyle and have taken the opportunity to travel over the past few years made the right choice and got to do it whilst they could. However, my comment was about those who in just the last couple of months have taken the decision to sell up in U.K. and who have planned to travel fulltime in their Motorhomes within the EU ? Did they not ask themselves the question 'What If ?' It is not about whether you agree or disagree with Brexit, those discussions may not have gone but have been somewhat superseded by events. It is not about Ex-Pats currently living in the EU, that is a separate entity and I believe one that will be resolved amicably. This post is simply about British Motorhomers who do not have access or availability to hold a EU passport who have chosen, within the last few months, to sell up in the U.K. to live fulltime in a Motorhome and have planned to spend most of that time within the EU. Only now are they asking the question about how Brexit will impact on their travels, surely this should have been the first questions they asked ?

BigMomma

Paul
It is not a case of being punished for leaving the EU. If we were not in the EU, like many other countries globally, then as a tourist we would only be permitted to travel in the EU for 90 days in any one period of 180 days (Although I understand from what I have read on travel blogs that some EU countries may issue Tourist Visas for up to 12 months, although they are not easy to obtain) so we are not being punished, we will just be being subject to the rules that apply to non-schengen countries. It has nothing to do with a country's economy or trading arrangements.

BigMomma

How can it be undemocratic to have another vote? I have heard this bullshit banded around over the last few months now and it just makes me angry along with Theresa Mays bullshit about just getting on with it before preventing debate and the
Vote. In or out not halfway in and its undemocratic of a prime minister to do what she thinks is best instead of what the vote was all about in the first place. Instead of wasting time she should have been working for leaving end of story. The African continent has no appeal to us.In fact any other place would be preferable even the moon! The only way to travel in the e.u may be with a 6 month visa,with the downside of being u.k bound for 6 months or having to go to another non r.u country. I'm praying for another vote it's the only sensible way to go forward. In or out ? What has our government been doing?
As you know Kevin, We voted to 'Remain' and so were saddened to be on the losing side of the vote. However, if you believe in Democracy then you have to believe in standing by the result of a vote. If we say that we lost the vote so let's have another one until we get the result we want, then if we do get another vote and this time win it, then surely the losers on that vote will demand to have another vote, how far does it go on ? But let me say again, this post is not about the rights or wrongs of Brexit, it is about Motorhoming in the EU and the potential impact that may have on those deciding to do it now but who have not given any thought to how Brexit may effect them. Let's put it another way, if you were still living in a house in the U.K. and we're contemplating selling up and living in a Motorhome fulltime in Europe, would you do it without considering the impact Brexit may have on your lifestyle choice ?

vwalan

uk isnt a schengen country at the moment . never has been. its no good mixing things up.
eu isnt the only place to visit. its a big world out there but getting smaller.
visa,s should be easy to get many other out of eu country folk manage to get them.
best dont buy anything from eu countries ,
lets hope uk puts import tax,s and tolls on eu items once we leave.
eu does it now on many items. look at moroccan tinned sardines in uk 34p .in spain they are about 50p.
clothes ,food etc etc as been getting expensive in eu for awhile . years ago shopping in europe was part of a holiday but not now.
mind we may even stay in , we shall have to wait and see.
should never have joined really. was better before we joined.
but like BM says does make you wonder with some and have they only just took their heads out of a black hole.
mind many have been going back wards and forwards and havnt stocked up either.

Last edited:

BigMomma

uk isnt a schengen country at the moment . never has been. its no good mixing things up.
You are right in that the UK did not sign up to the shengen agreement, however, as part of the EU which it was signed up to it was given the freedom of being part of the Schengen area but was also bound by the freedom of movement rights to others who were part of the EU and Schengen Areas. So it is not mixing it up, it is about understanding our involment in it.

vwalan

best bit is we will be able to keep them eu folk out of uk.
unless they have bothered to get long visa,s .
after all they come over here and make a right mess where ever they stop in their motorhomes.
only have to see the mess every where they go. the dutch and germans are getting worse than the french.
mind even under schengen rules registering in countries as a person is never really checked. the system is broken all the time.
might be uk vehicles will be picked up if on long stays. these days computer in and out it ,s easy for authority to check on folk etc.

Last edited:

BigMomma

What some people have not realised is that at present, under current Schengen travel arrangements, tourists from another EU shengen area are only permitted to remain in a EU Country for 90 days in any one period of 180 days so that means, unlike citizens of non-EU countries, we currently can have 90 days in France, 90 days in Germany, 90 days in Belgium and so on and so forth. However, the U.K. permits 180 days in any one 365 day period ?

BigMomma

After re-reading my last post I should perhaps clarify what I meant. Whilst you can have 180 days in the EU in any one year, it is broken down into two separate periods, one period of 90 days which can be taken within a 180 day period, then another 90 day period after the initial 180 days has lapsed. So although you do not have to take the whole 90 days in one visit, you cannot have more than 90 days within that 180 day period. However, the U.K. permit a tourist to have up to 180 days in any one year so they can effectively have 6 months in one visit per year, unlike the EU which only permits two 3 month visit periods in any one year.

vwalan

After re-reading my last post I should perhaps clarify what I meant. Whilst you can have 180 days in the EU in any one year, it is broken down into two separate periods, one period of 90 days which can be taken within a 180 day period, then another 90 day period after the initial 180 days has lapsed. So although you do not have to take the whole 90 days in one visit, you cannot have more than 90 days within that 180 day period. However, the U.K. permit a tourist to have up to 180 days in any one year so they can effectively have 6 months in one visit per year, unlike the EU which only permits two 3 month visit periods in any one year.
yes we know ,we knew what you meant.
mind we should be able to get a 6month visa if we leave. others do. then you can have 180 days in one go.
at the moment after 90days a uk person should register in a country if staying in one country. most dont . vehicles need a sort of register as well. . but like i said they dont very often check it anyway.
i think uk will be hard on uk folk that are away for more than 180days as then they cant be a uk resident.

BigMomma

There are lots of 'rules' that are not currently enforced, if you stay beyond 90 days under current arrangements then you just go to the local police station and register on the 'foreigners' register, no cost just a simple administrative procedure, most of the time they ask how much longer you intend to stay, if it is a short period they smile and just wave you away, not worth their time in paperwork I guess. However, if you stay longer than 183 days then technically you become a 'tax resident'. After Brexit they may well become more stringent, who knows ?

Their is a lot more beaurocracy about obtaining a longer tourist Visa, you have to physically go to the Embassy or Consulate of the Country you are applying for the visa to be issued in, you have to fill in lots of documents and supply lots of documents, provide proof of income so that you will not become a burden on the state, provide proof of health insurance etc. etc. The process can take weeks !!

But like everything, there are always solutions, it is a matter of waiting to see what the 'obstacles' are then you know what you have to deal with :thumb: I guess like lots of people, I am just sick of the whole Brexit will we or won't we scenarios, the vote was to come out of the EU, let's just get on with it so that we can move forward and deal with it :)

vwalan

having had loads of visas for other countries its not really hard to get a tourist visa.
mind some countries outside eu only give short visas . some you have to get a country or two away from the one you are applying for. if they give short ones from date of issue then you have to race through some countries just get through the awkward one .
mauritania used to hard . 30 day visa but had to be got in madrid then race through rest of spain then morocco. was really a fly in visa but the borders let it slip. good job they swapped it so its easier now.
many you just get a border visa and a date stamped in your passport.
it can be easy or hard. most are easy.
might need one for cornwall if we go independant. hee hee