Just waiting for 15th July 2013

jackierals

Last year we came up with the idea of buying a motorhome and setting off into the sunset (Europe for 2yrs), so we bought the van (July 2012) and then we sold the house (Nov 2012). Now in rental and have just started planning for the big day. We have had a few small trips in the UK and accumulated some day to day stuff and at the moment I am looking at a whiteboard with a list of what I think we'll be desperate for on a more permanent basis??? Any suggestions? We have also got the books and maps out and are trying to plan some sort of route but we dont really want to be tied down.
Oh by the way theres me and the old man and our little buddy Albie (4yrs old with 4paws). Are we dreaming or is it really gonna be as good as you all say?

Jackie

pelmetman & pelmetlady

Are we dreaming or is it really gonna be as good as you all say?

Jackie
Well yes and no;).............If you have some kinda income.......and it doesn't need to be a fortune then yes:thumb:......................If you don't have any sort of income and expect to do seasonal jobs then probably no:thumbdown:.............because all that kinda work has gone to the Eastern Europeans now:cautious:

BigMomma

Are we dreaming or is it really gonna be as good as you all say?
Probably even better :thumb: Get yourself a copy of 'Camperstop Europe' (English edition from Amazon) and a copy of 'All the Aires France/Spain/Portugal/Morroco' from www.vicariousbooks.co.uk and then get yourself an ACSI Camping Card and the world is your oyster, well Europe at least ;)

So what sort of vehicle will you be travelling in, have you considered what you will do about LPG re-fills (No Calor in Europe) ?

Better to ask specific questions otherwise you will be inundated with have you thought about this and that, have you got this and that etc :thumb:

aikidoamigo

MP3 player and laptop would be top of my list of possessions on any trip of this nature!

rustie

We did it! sold the house...bought a 5ver and truck...been on the road since 27th Jan this year... :D - complete novices...
Planning...only as far as the places we thought we'd like to see - top of the list was Italy - but we are now in Spain - weather dictated...as we got into France (which we absolutely love) it was still really cold so checked the weather maps and came down to Spain - its amazing what a dose of sunshine does ...
Stuff to bring...? so much depends on what kind of lifestyle you want - or think you want...whiteboard will only confuse you to my mind...
We dont have TV - well, got telly but no satellite dish - no TV as such - some DVDs for rainy days - lots of music and Kindle - books - dare to be different! I really dont see the point of sitting somewhere other than home watching the same ol same ol...my opinion of course!
I think sometimes there is a danger of over thinking things...sometimes you just have to jump....!
Good luck x

aikidoamigo

Life is one big onion, peel layer after layer while shedding a few tears along the way - lol;)

BigMomma

I think sometimes there is a danger of over thinking things...sometimes you just have to jump....!
But you would have had to have made some plans at some stage to be where you are now :thumb::D However, I take on board what you say about sometimes over thinking things, some of us are just cursed with having to think things through and then think about contingincies :( . I think the main thing is that when you are ready you will know and then that will be it :rolleyes: There are certain people that will say "I didn't think about that, oh well what the heck we will do this !" and then there are others who will say "I didn't think about that, Oh shit now what do we do ?", I guess it just depends on each individuals personality, I would place a bet however that both categories would find their own solutions and survive ;)

sundowners

We have always looked for Y roads in life------if we can't take one route--we take the other---if that one is blocked----we aim for the bush:D;);):eek::eek::eek:

coolasluck

But you would have had to have made some plans at some stage to be where you are now :thumb::D However, I take on board what you say about sometimes over thinking things, some of us are just cursed with having to think things through and then think about contingincies :( . I think the main thing is that when you are ready you will know and then that will be it :rolleyes: There are certain people that will say "I didn't think about that, oh well what the heck we will do this !" and then there are others who will say "I didn't think about that, Oh shit now what do we do ?", I guess it just depends on each individuals personality, I would place a bet however that both categories would find their own solutions and survive ;)

They are normally the ones with whom buy a van and then realise that it is not the right layout and then have to replace .There is something to be said for planning in my opinion,and on a personal level i need to get it right as i am young.If i get fed up of fulltiming we will either live on the canal network or buy something dead small with land abroad somewhere.That somewhere maybe found on our travels,but it would have to be cheap.
I know a freind whos mate owns a plot of land with a barn on it.To most onlookers it is just a barn,but he has like a mezanine in the roof where he lives.He seems to have got away with living their for years without the authorities knowing,i always have loved this idea as a base.We are more into owning land to park on and having some kind of garden to enjoy wildlife in,then anything else.

Adverts