It's time.

"andsome Andy

Evening all. I'm pretty sure you've heard it all before but it's time for me and the old lady. I'm 58 and Jane's a few years younger and we're ready for the off! We've dipped our toe in the motorhome thing a few times over the years but work and family have always held us back. Now however all kids are married, set up in houses and our place is on the market. We're gonna have a "year out." Can you guys give me any idea on what motor to look for up to 40k? I know it's not a huge budget but just in case this is a pipe dream I'd like to think we dont need to live under a hedge for the rest of our lifes if we mess up. I'm not a clever man and so other than the odd oil change I'm ok for changing a wheel or mending a fuse. I thank you all in advance.

Andy

Easyliving

Hi there Andy, welcome to M365.

I see you have a budget of up to £40k - this is plenty to get the van you want I would have thought, be a used one though.

You will get loads of opinions on what sort of van to get but it depends on what you want. I take it you have C1 on your licence, you will need this so you can drive a heavier van with a decent payload. Best thing is to have a good read of this forum and, most importantly, check out as many vans as you can at dealers and motorhome shows.

Good luck.

Paul

sundowners

Hi
I am prejudiced----- but------------- in my opinion you have a small choice for the best type of van to travel full-time with.
But a lot depends on what you intend to do and what comfort you want?????
Take a look at Niesmann+Bischoff flair ---- that is a good starting point!!!!!
Better still look at the add for ours on motorhome fun or gumtree!!!!!!
We are relocating to Portugal and have finished travelling, it has just done a couple of runs each year and stood on our land the rest of the time------a van like this needs to work, not sit around!!!!!
'THEY' reckon it takes three vans to get the right one------ this is the fourth one that most never get!!!!!!!!!
I ought to post an add on 365 for it!!!!!!

sundowners

Hi
I did add a welcome to my post but it seems to have disappeared!!!!!!!
But welcome to this site of (virtually) unlimited knowledge!!!!!!!
Ask away whatever you want to------- you may well get many different answers to each question--------- up to you to sort out the answers!!!!!!!!!!

BigMomma

Most important thing in my personal opinion, for a full time van, is internal layout and storage space (Internal & External). If you were confined, say due to weather, and one of you were ill and needed/wanted to stay in bed to suffer, if you only had one living/sleeping area that had to be converted every time, would this cause you problems ? I advocate, for full time living, a separate living area and bedroom. Make a list of Essentials and Desirables, find a van that has 'all' your Essential requirements covered and then any 'desirables' you can fit in are a bonus :thumb:

May sound like a daft or personal question but, with the potential limitations on travelling in the EU, have you considered the impact that Brexit may have on your plans. UK is not as Motorhome friendly as the EU and not as tolerant to Wildcamping, using Campsites 'may' be expensive dependent on your available budget but you need to think about these things ;)

"andsome Andy

Many thanks for all the tips. We're not completely green to motorhomes. We had a tag axle Autotrail and a Frankia after that but workload dictated that they just never got used. Well now at 58 and early retirement is on the horizon It's time to do it "proper." We're of the mind to buy something for the 40k budget to get us on the road again and if we're still as eager after a year or so then we'll trade up.
As for the whole Brexit thing, I reckon if we stand still and wait for the outcome then time might just pass us by and we'll feel like we're a bit past it.
Please keep the advice and tips coming, I'll gladly take it all.
Cheers
Andy

BigMomma

As for the whole Brexit thing, I reckon if we stand still and wait for the outcome then time might just pass us by and we'll feel like we're a bit past it.

Andy
So very true, after all, it may not happen at all :think: But be prepared if going across the channel, get your IDP's in advance and think about Green Cards :thumb:

As for your budget, £40k should get you a pretty decent van, your previous experience will guide you some way to knowing what is right when you see it :)

fanofatan

internal layout and storage are the key points to look at especially for long term trips
We've been looking at various 'newish' MH layouts for in and around your budget, we quite liked the layout, garage storage and living space the Bessacarr E484 offered :thumb:
Others will have their favourites, we didn't fancy climbing in & out of the over cab bed or the beds that come down in the living area, they just restrict your moving around too much
As with most of the modern MH's you have to watch how much you load in them, this has a payload of 406kg's
link to a Bessacarr E484, hope this helps, if you see something better please let us know, were not buying until the end of the year
https://www.scotmotorhomes.co.uk/vehicle/bessacarr-e484-4-berth-motorhome-for-sale-in-perth-scotland-55004437-6aed-4d91-9943-a8ee00c13cc2

"andsome Andy

internal layout and storage are the key points to look at especially for long term trips
We've been looking at various 'newish' MH layouts for in and around your budget, we quite liked the layout, garage storage and living space the Bessacarr E484 offered :thumb:
Others will have their favourites, we didn't fancy climbing in & out of the over cab bed or the beds that come down in the living area, they just restrict your moving around too much
As with most of the modern MH's you have to watch how much you load in them, this has a payload of 406kg's
link to a Bessacarr E484, hope this helps, if you see something better please let us know, were not buying until the end of the year
https://www.scotmotorhomes.co.uk/vehicle/bessacarr-e484-4-berth-motorhome-for-sale-in-perth-scotland-55004437-6aed-4d91-9943-a8ee00c13cc2
Superb, many thanks for the input.

sundowners

That 406kg payload would just about cover extra batteries and the solar system ----a bit of weekend away gear and you would start to be overloaded!!!!!! IMHO you should be looking at much more payload than that!!!!
Maybe look at heavier chassis to start with!!??
We have just bought a tandem axle caravan with 350kg +/- payload ---getting everything from the motorhome into it is totally impossible----- will have to leave lots behind AND risk overloading the car!!!!!

chrisjones18

I agree with the sundowners about the payload, I have 1500kgs payload and use around 900kgs of it without adding the scooter.
Buggered if I know where all the weight comes from as we still have a house where most stuff is kept.

"andsome Andy

Evening all. Just for anyone still interested. Jane and I took the plunge two weeks ago and purchased an ex demo Autotrail Comanche. Its the overcab and fixed double model as it still gives us room to use the van if one of us fancies sleeping late. It has a pretty good payload, enough for us I reckon anyway. We have a second viewing on the house on Tuesday but even if it dont sell we're locking the soddin thing up and going anyway. Many thanks for any help/advice you offered. Keep an eye out for us on the road. I'm the one with arms full of tattoo's and a contented smile.

chrisjones18

We are waiting to exchange contracts on our house.
The solicitor looked stumped when he asked " are you not buying or renting another" when we said no.
Estate agent said 16 weeks to exchange and solicitor said 4 to 8 weeks.... who would you believe.
Good luck on your travels

BigMomma

Evening all. I'm pretty sure you've heard it all before but it's time for me and the old lady. I'm 58 and Jane's a few years younger and we're ready for the off! We've dipped our toe in the motorhome thing a few times over the years but work and family have always held us back. Now however all kids are married, set up in houses and our place is on the market. We're gonna have a "year out." Can you guys give me any idea on what motor to look for up to 40k? I know it's not a huge budget but just in case this is a pipe dream I'd like to think we dont need to live under a hedge for the rest of our lifes if we mess up. I'm not a clever man and so other than the odd oil change I'm ok for changing a wheel or mending a fuse. I thank you all in advance.

Andy
All the best and enjoy your travels. We had 'Big Momma' (Autotrail Comanche) for seven years and loved the space :thumb:

Adverts