Interesting

Marilyn

Yes, interesting. He has a point. My generation (I'm 62) was brought up reasonably in touch with reality but still soft compared to our parents and definitely so compared to our grandparents. His three and a half days idea has some merit.

Three and a half Years in the woods doesn't sound too bad as long as you've got your own Ray Mears clone with you ;)

Pollik

I found it incredibly patronising. And mainly wrong and misleading, while accepting what Marilyn says.

There is a saying that politics, along with religion and sex, are no-nos at the dinner table, so I won't launch into rhetoric. Over the years, I have viewed and read quite a lot about this crises, but I think the single most powerful item I have seen is this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0183l0t/Storyville_20112012_Inside_Job/

At just over 1hr 30min, it is long, but I think it is well worth watching if the subject interests you. I was already aware of the technical side of what was going and only guessing at the behind the scenes issues. Having also seen and read presentations on the harm that inequality does to a country, and noting that this both this crisis and the global rebellion against are unprecedented, my view is that we have the wrong form of capitalism, which ultimately will lead to plutocracies rather than democracies. It is not reported much in our media, but in Iceland, the protests which have been taking place this past few years seem to be making a difference.

I do find it hard not to go on at length about this, because it makes me very angry.

Polly

Terry

I for one don't miss the material things that we have given up for our chosen way of life. Having to fill water tanks, dispose of grey & black waste in the appropriate place, making sure we have enough Gas for cooking & warmth. I have shot, fished and prepared what I was lucky to come home with:).
So I suppose we are all in our log cabin, be it with wheels on, & although we enjoy it we take nothing for granted and appreciate more. :)

John and Joan

I don't know about the U.S. but in the U.K. I have got the impression, over at least three decades, successive government, whatever their political colour have hidden the youth unemployment by extending the years of education by keeping kids in college and uni. When the old apprenticeships died the death because our manufacturing base had gone, they put all those young people into further education and it couldn't go on for ever because we weren't making and selling as much as we once did, in order to pay for it.
Those chickens are now coming home to roost and not just in the U.K. it seems.
Joan:)

Pollik

I have shot, fished and prepared what I was lucky to come home with
Fishing is something I am still learning, but have grasp of and eaten my catch on a few occasions.

Shooting, I am pretty much ignorant about...how would you recommend someone starting out? Bearing mind travelling in a motorhome in UK and in Europe...and maybe north Africa. Where is a good place to learn?

Polly

Terry

Fishing is something I am still learning, but have grasp of and eaten my catch on a few occasions.

Shooting, I am pretty much ignorant about...how would you recommend someone starting out? Bearing mind travelling in a motorhome in UK and in Europe...and maybe north Africa. Where is a good place to learn?

Polly
Had a great experience catching Mackerel on our last visit to Norfolk which we barbecued, delicious. Kids treated me to a fly fishing outfit for my 6th which I am still getting to grips with. Got a nice Brown Trout up in Scotland this year, once again cooked it on the barby.

As for shooting, find a friendly farmer who will let you shoot over his land. After first obtaining a firearms certificate,
for which you must provide a suitable secure safe for storing the gun. We have a French international version but we only carry a gun in the motorhome when visiting the UK, as I am still friendly with a farmer whose land I shot over for many years. Other than than that Clay pigeon shooting is another option, great fun. Attending a Clay shooting ground is also a good way to learn safe handling of a gun.:cautious:
Hope this helps. Good hunting.:)

Pollik

I understand the need to learn good practice with firearms, but on the basis I will be travelling most of the time, I wondering how practical a hobby it would be. Your reply seems to suggest not very?

I only started trying to fish earlier this year knowing that UK & France don't require a licence for sea fishing, Norway too. Rod takes up hardly any space and spinning means I don't have to dig for or buy fresh bait. If I catch something, great, if not it doesn't matter. Very much an opportunistic pastime for me. I was wondering if shooting could be that way, too. Probably not.

Polly

BigMomma

I understand the need to learn good practice with firearms, but on the basis I will be travelling most of the time, I wondering how practical a hobby it would be. Your reply seems to suggest not very?

I only started trying to fish earlier this year knowing that UK & France don't require a licence for sea fishing, Norway too. Rod takes up hardly any space and spinning means I don't have to dig for or buy fresh bait. If I catch something, great, if not it doesn't matter. Very much an opportunistic pastime for me. I was wondering if shooting could be that way, too. Probably not.

Polly
Can you imagine the added payload to your unit to accommodate a heavy duty gun cabinet ? There would also be the motorhomers curse 'Fixed Address' for the licence ?

coolasluck

I often wonder as to what would i do if we did not have farmers,i then realise i would certainly become a vegetariun.
We hold precious all these things that dont really matter in the name of consumerism,i for one cant wait to give up some of these things ,in an aim to live a more peaceful and unneady life and to get out there and start living amongst nature.I do draw the line at greed and profittering,those two words go hand in hand with petrol companies and pharmasuticals.
For me there are those that keep the country running and those that are just plain greedy and corrupt and i suppose you can blame high fuel costs on the goverment as well as the robbing petrol companies.

BigMomma

I often wonder as to what would i do if we did not have farmers,i then realise i would certainly become a vegetariun.
We hold precious all these things that dont really matter in the name of consumerism,i for one cant wait to give up some of these things ,in an aim to live a more peaceful and unneady life and to get out there and start living amongst nature.I do draw the line at greed and profittering,those two words go hand in hand with petrol companies and pharmasuticals.
For me there are those that keep the country running and those that are just plain greedy and corrupt and i suppose you can blame high fuel costs on the goverment as well as the robbing petrol companies.
Don't need to become a vegetarian if we didn't have Farmer's, have you never heard of Road Kill old boy :D What did people use to kill with before guns......... Blades, Spears, Rocks so get yourself a bit of forked wood (yes that was 'forked') a wide piece of elastic andEuraks !!!! ....... a catapult :thumb: Now get out there and bring home the bacon foryour woman (and no stopping at Sainsbury's on the way home) :rofl:

coolasluck

Maybe i will aim that catapult in your direction bm.be careful with your humerous comments,you may just be struck by a stone.All with the aim of getting rid of poor quality humour and jokes:rofl:

BigMomma

Maybe i will aim that catapult in your direction bm.be careful with your humerous comments,you may just be struck by a stone.All with the aim of getting rid of poor quality humour and jokes:rofl:
SH**T...... knew I shouldn't have told you how to make a catapult. Made the wrong choice there, better not tell Alan otherwise I will have to say Oh SH**T twice in the same post..........DOH !! :eek:

vwalan

unfortunately if we didnt have farmers then the veggies would possibly die first. farmers are already struggling to grow veg for the western world . slowly they are turning the desert into arable land to grow veg for us. better to be able to eat all. cause most wont kill or know how to prepare the meat. most cant even grow veg. most cant even cook.
the fantasy isnt just about full timing. with out food production most would just starve if left to their own devices.
bm i carry catapults ,spear guns . etc , remember i am a trained butcher /slaughterman. and was in the catering corp. all part of the survival knowledge . repairing tyres, fixing motors ,welding etc all part of the survival knowledge.
i never got bored working too much to learn.

BigMomma

unfortunately if we didnt have farmers then the veggies would possibly die first. farmers are already struggling to grow veg for the western world . slowly they are turning the desert into arable land to grow veg for us. better to be able to eat all. cause most wont kill or know how to prepare the meat. most cant even grow veg. most cant even cook.
the fantasy isnt just about full timing. with out food production most would just starve if left to their own devices.
bm i carry catapults ,spear guns . etc , remember i am a trained butcher /slaughterman. and was in the catering corp. all part of the survival knowledge . repairing tyres, fixing motors ,welding etc all part of the survival knowledge.
i never got bored working too much to learn.
You are a rare and dying breed Alan, and I do not say this in a patronising way :thumb:

vwalan

your wrong . its becoming much more the way . open your eyes .some of the youngsters are out there doing the same . the world maybe ending as some of the older ones think ,but a new one is happening. you just need to get out there. they play instruments . strip motors by the roadside. do anything to survive. i can certainly say its a new world out there. its been happening for years its just unless you look you dont find.
remember the sahara was not a desert years ago.

BigMomma

I don't believe that I am wrong Alan. We are quite clearly from two different worlds and in the one that I live the mines have all but closed, the shipyards and steelworks have all but closed, garage mechanics now need degrees in computers to be able to service/diagnose faults on modern vehicles. However, where shipyards and mines have closed there are new Technology firms taking over, electronic technicians not mechanical engineers. So whilst I obviously cannot claim to be out on the road passing all those 'youngsters'stripping and fixing their oily engines on the sides of the road, I cannot help but think that a lot of this is a romantic notion of the past that is in your head. My eyes are well and truly open and I also like to think that I have a relatively open mind, but sometimes your notion of the real world is I think of days past my freind. Don't get me wrong,I firmly believe that there are still people out there, very much like yourself, capable of doing almost anything from stripping engines, welding metal etc. etc. but your claim that this is becoming 'much more of the way' we will just have to agree to disagree.

As for the 'Good Life' syndrome, self sufficiency, yep a lot of people decided to try this but from what I have seen, this self sufficiency required some help to get started e.g. financial assistance for land, buildings, stock etc however the statistics show that it is these people that in the main are the one's going under as well as larger companies as whilst they are able tyo produce enough to support themselves they are not selling enough to make profit to re-pay their debts and move forward.

What their is an increase in is the amount of people out of work, young and old alike, more and more are either moving out of bricks and mortar and moving on the water to live on our waterways or moving into static caravans or buying Motorhomes. I am out there Alan, my eyes are open and this is what I am seeing everyday. It is not nice but this is the real world my freind, perhaps your eyes are open just looking in the wrong direction ;)

coolasluck

Out of intrest bm how much would you need to buy a live aboard and dwell on our waterways?
I remember you talking about capital a while back.

Adverts