In the planning stage

Hi
My name is Chris and my wife is called Brenda I'm 56 and Brenda 58, our children have grown up and we now have the pleasure of 5 grandchildren who are growing faster than than anything.
We have decided to go semi full time / full time in two years time, this will give us time to explore all option although certain things seem to be already decided,
We will retain a property if not this one then we will downsize Although whether to rent out we will decide within the first few months of travelling.
I will be taking my pension when I'm 58/59 hopefully this will give us a decent income, that will be known closer to the time to finishIng
Other things we have yet to decide on will be discussed over the next 2 years and I will follow other people's travels and pop in with questions.
We are previous motorhomers who travelled extensively around the U.K. And also ventured across the channel and travelled France, we gave up 5 years ago but our passion for not staying in at a weekend has never left us I've had a Mazda bongo , a small caravan and now back to camping.
10 years ago I had a heart attack and we nearly sold up and went travelling but I got my head together and had a reality check, I've since been dogged with some other heart issues (under control) and had two partial knee replacements all of which I take medication for so my first questions will start with ......
1 how do people go about getting repeat medication whilst abroad ?
2 how much does insurance cost for full timing taking in medical conditions ?
3 what is roughly the average cost a month whilst travelling ?

Thanks in advance Chris

vwalan

hi. at the moment getting repeat prescriptions in chemists abroad is quite easy. but a charge is usually made.
cant answer number 2 i only long term.
number 3 is awkward as food abroad isnt as cheap as it used to be . i say take lots dried tinned from uk . in spain fuel is cheaper than uk , we dont use sites or pay for night stops . dont even pay to just park. always find a free place. depends really how far you want to drive or drink luckily drink can be cheaper abroad ,but dont use bars or eat in restaurants .
take a chance at moment and only use health card . but next year things will change . mind if you go to morocco in winter hospitals are cheap. many germans and dutch go there for opps as its cheaper than in the eu.
dentists cheap in morocco as well . top quality work as well.
might be that once we leave eu then algeria may be easier to enter ,then time in morocco ,algeria , tunisia ,libya etc will be the way forward . or morocco,mauritania , senegal ,gambia will be the way.
be easier once the ships go from uk to tarfaya in morocco. seems there may be a direct ferry. ideal.
miss out the eu altogether.

Can't help on the first two questions but have done a bit of research on the latter and in general people seem to be in the £1000 to £1500 per month region although it really depends hugely on how far you travel, what your eating habits are and how often you use campsites.

We're heading off today for a couple of months but fully expect our average to be considerably more as we're going to be covering a fair bit of mileage. I am planning on keeping some kind of accounts though.

hi. at the moment getting repeat prescriptions in chemists abroad is quite easy. but a charge is usually made.
cant answer number 2 i only long term.
number 3 is awkward as food abroad isnt as cheap as it used to be . i say take lots dried tinned from uk . in spain fuel is cheaper than uk , we dont use sites or pay for night stops . dont even pay to just park. always find a free place. depends really how far you want to drive or drink luckily drink can be cheaper abroad ,but dont use bars or eat in restaurants .
take a chance at moment and only use health card . but next year things will change . mind if you go to morocco in winter hospitals are cheap. many germans and dutch go there for opps as its cheaper than in the eu.
dentists cheap in morocco as well . top quality work as well.
might be that once we leave eu then algeria may be easier to enter ,then time in morocco ,algeria , tunisia ,libya etc will be the way forward . or morocco,mauritania , senegal ,gambia will be the way.
be easier once the ships go from uk to tarfaya in morocco. seems there may be a direct ferry. ideal.
miss out the eu altogether.
Thanks for the reply

Can't help on the first two questions but have done a bit of research on the latter and in general people seem to be in the £1000 to £1500 per month region although it really depends hugely on how far you travel, what your eating habits are and how often you use campsites.

We're heading off today for a couple of months but fully expect our average to be considerably more as we're going to be covering a fair bit of mileage. I am planning on keeping some kind of accounts though.
Enjoy your travels

BigMomma

Hi
1 how do people go about getting repeat medication whilst abroad ?
2 how much does insurance cost for full timing taking in medical conditions ?
3 what is roughly the average cost a month whilst travelling ?

Thanks in advance Chris
1. Some UK GP's will issue up to 3 months in advance, other's will not. Keep the container that details the contents of the medication you take, take it into a Pharmacia, they will provide you with the same medication (at a cost) although it may be a different brand and called something different.

2. Fulltime Insurance relates generally to the vehicle, unless you have a medical condition that may effect your driving, which needs to be declared to DVLA, then you will be asked to declare this on your application for Insurance and that may affect the cost, only the Insurers can provide you with the answer you seek. What you need, if you have pre-existing medical conditions, is good Travel Health Insurance, the EHIC card will only cover you for Emergency treatment and not follow up treatment.

3. There are too many variables to provide a definitive answer, as has already been mentioned, how much travelling do you intend to do ? how much fuel will you use ? How much LPG will you need for cooking, heating water, Habitation heating ? How many times a week/month will you need to use Laundry Facilities ? What is you Grocery budget (including beer, wine etc) ? How many times do you intend to use Campsites or Aires ? How much do you need for personal expenditure per day/week/month ? Some people can survive on a minimal budget other's like to enjoy a few more of life's luxuries !! Are you good with maintaining/repairing your own vehicle or would you need to pay for these things ? Do you have an 'Emergency' maintenance budget ?

The cost of fulltiming is driven by yourself, the way you want to enjoy the freedom of the lifestyle against the budget you have to do it. There is no right or wrong way to do it but being prepared is key to enjoying it :thumb:

Silver Drifter

Re meds, I buy my meds over the counter in Spain, cheaper than chips for your average Lininipril/Amlodopine/Simvastatin. Not so easy in France, where I've been asked for pescriptions in some pharmacy's and yet have been served in others. I usually get a repeat pescriptions before I leave to see me through to Spain!
I have CKD and travel insurance is far too expensive, so I'm relying on my EU card if I have an issue.
As for cost, I only have my state pension for my travelling budget so everything has to be done on just over £600/month......so if you see me out and about, please treat me to a coffee......

1. Some UK GP's will issue up to 3 months in advance, other's will not. Keep the container that details the contents of the medication you take, take it into a Pharmacia, they will provide you with the same medication (at a cost) although it may be a different brand and called something different.

2. Fulltime Insurance relates generally to the vehicle, unless you have a medical condition that may effect your driving, which needs to be declared to DVLA, then you will be asked to declare this on your application for Insurance and that may affect the cost, only the Insurers can provide you with the answer you seek. What you need, if you have pre-existing medical conditions, is good Travel Health Insurance, the EHIC card will only cover you for Emergency treatment and not follow up treatment.

3. There are too many variables to provide a definitive answer, as has already been mentioned, how much travelling do you intend to do ? how much fuel will you use ? How much LPG will you need for cooking, heating water, Habitation heating ? How many times a week/month will you need to use Laundry Facilities ? What is you Grocery budget (including beer, wine etc) ? How many times do you intend to use Campsites or Aires ? How much do you need for personal expenditure per day/week/month ? Some people can survive on a minimal budget other's like to enjoy a few more of life's luxuries !! Are you good with maintaining/repairing your own vehicle or would you need to pay for these things ? Do you have an 'Emergency' maintenance budget ?

The cost of fulltiming is driven by yourself, the way you want to enjoy the freedom of the lifestyle against the budget you have to do it. There is no right or wrong way to do it but being prepared is key to enjoying it :thumb:
Thanks
I already get my prescription three monthly online through Patient access which can be electronically sent , I will approach my surgery to inquire if I could get longer.

Last edited: