Hungary

Alan Heath

This is Szarvaskő and it is a small village so this place is very easy to find. I spent the entire day here and the night too. This restaurant is really good, I did not film the whole meal as I was chatting to the owner. He has also got a camping ground right next to the bar with mains hook up and around twenty pitches. There is also a very nice hotel there.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the cost of the pitch and I don't want to make a guess. If it had been a lot, I would have remembered! The cost of a three course, traditional meal was around EUR12. I had a Hungarian speciality - catfish with noodles.

I have other films from Szarvaskő but for some reason I did not film the pitch. I absolutely recommend this place.

Alan Heath

Spending the night in Tesco car park in a camper van is a dream for many people. Now this dream can come true. This is Eger, in northern Hungary and there is a big car park open all the time and if you park out of the way then I can't see you getting bothered. If you are thinking of spending more than one night there - or perhaps the rest of your life - then I would get permission from the security first. This may be a problem if you don't speak Hungarian, fortunately Monty Python did produce a Hungarian - English phrase book.

Alan Heath

I spent 15 days close to this hotel in Egerszalok. My friends were in the hotel and I was in the camper van. As a non resident one can use the pools by buying a daily carnet - it was absolutely wonderful. There were great walks nearby (see films on my youtube channel), we saw lots of interesting animals - and an oil field nearby. I won't write about the hotel as this is a camper van site. My van was parked within 300 metres of the hotel, no-one bothered me at all although obviously I did not have hook up or anything like that.

My van also had a problem and I took it to a nearby garage where I got great service!

Alan Heath

camping cars outside campsites are illegal in Hungary.I was checked out on a Lidle parking
It may be illegal but if you were chucked out of Lidl it was because you were on private property and you should have asked permission before leaving your van in a supermarket parking lot. Being parked on private land is not a criminal but civil offence. I think you should have asked permission first from security.

BigMomma

camping cars outside campsites are illegal in Hungary.I was checked out on a Lidle parking
Was that 'checked' out or 'chucked' out. Either way, what Alan says is good advice and follows the principles of the 'voluntary' code of wildcamping. If we want local communities, National or International, to not become anti-motorhomers then we should ensure that we do not antagonise by parking on Private land, although it may not always be obvious :confused: however, rule of thumb, use common sense and a bit of discretion :thumb: It is also worth just checking, before you enter a country, on the protocols about 'Wild' or 'Free' camping. Anyone who purchases the Caravan Club Europe books (2 volumes) will already know that inside the books they give excellent overviews of each country, driving regulations etc so a little pre-planning and research could save problems along the way :thumb:

1700cc

The state police,with police car,came to visit me.They explaned that i had to stay on a camping,they gave me a list,Very helpful polite & even spoke a little English.
Supermarkets dont always own the land.

They were more worried about my security.

coolasluck

Did you go to a prison site then?

BigMomma

The state police,with police car,came to visit me.They explaned that i had to stay on a camping,they gave me a list,Very helpful polite & even spoke a little English.
Supermarkets dont always own the land.

They were more worried about my security.
What ! the locals may have been hungary for your possessions :D

coolasluck

:rolleyes:

Adverts