How much money do I need?

BigMomma

Ha ha..
I can cook one but can't eat it....
Can't have fiber..... gets hard
Right, let us know what general foodstuffs you can eat then let us see if we, the forum members, can conjure up a simple, healthy and economical dietary plan that may save you having to hand over your coffers to the cafe/restaurants. We will turn you into nomadic 'chefs' yet :giggle:

chrisjones18

Right, let us know what general foodstuffs you can eat then let us see if we, the forum members, can conjure up a simple, healthy and economical dietary plan that may save you having to hand over your coffers to the cafe/restaurants. We will turn you into nomadic 'chefs' yet :giggle:
you don't really want to be in my world, though it isn't as bad as i thought it could be.
i can basically eat anything but with very little fibre in it. so no veg or fruit skin or fat in meat and defiantly no wholemeal....simples really.
don't get me wrong .i can eat anything but what it does to me is a different story. i just have to be careful.
so if it involves fish -----great

BigMomma

you don't really want to be in my world, though it isn't as bad as i thought it could be.
i can basically eat anything but with very little fibre in it. so no veg or fruit skin or fat in meat and defiantly no wholemeal....simples really.
don't get me wrong .i can eat anything but what it does to me is a different story. i just have to be careful.
so if it involves fish -----great
My mother is like that, she suffers with 'Krones'.

HarryWheels

The classic "how long is a bit of string question"! I've been doing a bit of research on this myself and it seems the answer depends entirely on your lifestyle and how frugal you want to be. Having said that you'll be needing fuel and food regardless. Like has been said use the Aires rather than the campsites if you can to re-service the vehicle with water and empty the loo etc. Only use campsites for luxuries like proper showers and washing the laundry.
Many sources say a grand a month means you can live pretty well in a van, even a couple if they didn't spend too much on luxuries. Wild camp and use free Aires and you'll save a lot of money.
I'm going to allow myself a budget of £1100 per month for just me and the small dog. But I bet another individual wouldn't make an awful lot of difference as I'm expecting to have plenty of change leftover each month.
I'd of said £300 pcm is going to be just a bit tight myself, you'd really have to scrimp and save on everything to achieve that, and forget about campsites. It's also worth pointing out that rental money is not guaranteed to come in every month in the real world.

vwalan

i use a twintub washing machine powered by solar and inverter when away.
every village has water ,and finding a sewer drain isnt hard or even finding a sewage works .
did use a campsite in 2009 in spain for one night.
almost never use airres they are full of campsite dwellers or those that were .
you can do 5 months in spain including ferry ,fuel ,food , drinks etc and only spend 1800 quid .
mind was only 1500 till a couple of years ago.
we used to do a trip across to morocco in that time as well but only spend about 2500 quid a few years ago.
just cook your own food . dont use bars and restaurants etc , you can save a shilling in many ways .
after all its only a game .

coolasluck

The classic "how long is a bit of string question"! I've been doing a bit of research on this myself and it seems the answer depends entirely on your lifestyle and how frugal you want to be. Having said that you'll be needing fuel and food regardless. Like has been said use the Aires rather than the campsites if you can to re-service the vehicle with water and empty the loo etc. Only use campsites for luxuries like proper showers and washing the laundry.
Many sources say a grand a month means you can live pretty well in a van, even a couple if they didn't spend too much on luxuries. Wild camp and use free Aires and you'll save a lot of money.
I'm going to allow myself a budget of £1100 per month for just me and the small dog. But I bet another individual wouldn't make an awful lot of difference as I'm expecting to have plenty of change leftover each month.
I'd of said £300 pcm is going to be just a bit tight myself, you'd really have to scrimp and save on everything to achieve that, and forget about campsites. It's also worth pointing out that rental money is not guaranteed to come in every month in the real world.

I would say that that's a good amount to live this lifestyle. That does obviously need to include vehicle costs e.t.c and all else.Its a good sensible amount to cater for.Last year we had loads of costly work that needed to be done on our vehicle done so it can get expensive.When abroad it's easy and a cheap way to live but the expense is always when you return to blighty with mot and repairs and dentists e.t.c

HarryWheels

I would say that that's a good amount to live this lifestyle. That does obviously need to include vehicle costs e.t.c and all else.Its a good sensible amount to cater for.Last year we had loads of costly work that needed to be done on our vehicle done so it can get expensive.When abroad it's easy and a cheap way to live but the expense is always when you return to blighty with mot and repairs and dentists e.t.c
Yep, rip-off Britain always seems to catch up with us eventually!

vwalan

mind food is cheaper in uk, clothes as well . used to e different but last few years uk is cheaper .
not beer /diesel , shame really.
also car parts or batteries and tyres uk is far cheaper.
tools used to be cheaper abroad but not now.

Adverts