How much money do I need?

coolasluck

If your reasonably good with money and your lucky with vehicle repairs I think you would be looking at about 8k a year to 13k.Your first year is normally the most expensive. Normally fulltimers have a pot of money through a house sale e.t.c but if you don't i would either be working for 6 months and then traveling for 6 months or a better option save up and take 2 or 3 years off before working again.After that time you will know if the lifestyle is for you. Always have a plan b option

chrisjones18

Out of interest, what do you do when travelling around Europe? I'm trying to come up with a list, I've got landmarks/ruins/Museums, famous peoples houses, beaches. Has anyone gone over russia? How far can you go in a MH? India, China, Thailand?

I don’t normally recommend FB groups on here, however
The Silk Route Network on FB
Is worth looking at, for this question.

Also the Forum HUBB
Horizon’s Unlimited Bulletin Board[/QUOTE]
I'm on silk route network. So yes you can get to them places in a motorhome but what most or all don't say is the cost of doing this.
I think you would now struggle to get a visa for Russia (if your british) as some idiot has dropped a few bombs near their troops.

chrisjones18

Coola.. your guess on money is around the same figure we had hoped it would be..
Though we have knocked a large hole in this year's budget already. But we knew we would and are now back to normality. Lidl here we come.
Just checked the mot to find out it has run out......and the darn tax......money money money

coolasluck

.......... If it wasn't for vehicle costs 3k for us last year fulltiming can be done cheaply.
However if you normaly eat out and drink in restaurants and pubs then i wouldnt bother with budgeting!!!!... as you don't need to lol

Dunroamin

The vast majority of the active forum members here seem to only indulge in activities that have one common factor.You can perform them all whilst sitting on your arse,telly,videos,reading other peoples blogs,facebook (internet help for Billy no Mates),forums etc.Hardly a soul mentions any activity that involves any kind of excercise .Silk Road ha ,ha, Constantine from Seabridge has been doing convoy tours for over 15 years and once we met up with them and yes there were plastics in the group but no Brits.Living ,bottom end,if you consider breakfast to be a bowl of "sweetie wheaties and no name instant coffee with coffee creamer"you are what you eat.Yes you can eat cheap but it doesnt have to be crap.How many of you bother to sit down on your bum and learn a bit of the language of the countries you are visiting.People we meet in Spain coming here for over 20 years and have about as much Spanish as you could write on the back of a postage stamp with a felt pen.

chrisjones18

Convoy tours..... not for me
Put the tv on last week...first time this year..
Problem with a carnet de passage from the uk is the 150% valuation cost.
No more RAC cover either for carnet.
Countries like australia impose huge fines if the shipping company don't get your vehicle out on time.
Not sure how Dunroamin comes up with the generalization of people on this forum.
Afraid I can't eat cheap....love great food.

Dunroamin

Its not a generalisation it is based on the most discussed topics on the forum re activities . As for carnet de passage as usual typical British rip off like the banks and insurance companies.Our carnet costs 2,500 Euros for a vehicle up to the value of 10,000 Euros i.e 7,500 for truck and 2 motorbikes.If we go to Iran then double it. The money is in the bank gaining interest. The most expensive carnet we ever had was for Egypt.As far as I can remember in Britain you pay an insurance policy for the carnet and they recover any costs if the vehicle doesnt return. In Germany the money is placed in a bank account in escrow which you have no access to without the sayso of the ADAC. If you need RAC cover for an extended trip outside of mainland Europe then you should stay at home and read blogs from the ones who dont need it. Our current carnet covers all countries excepting Iran,Pakistan and Egypt,could always change ,depends on which way the political wind blows.

chrisjones18

It was the RAC that was the only issuer of a carnet in the uk. Money in their bank and returned ( less their fees) on a fully stamped book.
No stamp out of a country normally ment you lost it.
Yes I agree with you the uk is a rip off.
The uk government has a new issuer but I have not looked into them as only going to Europe in the near future.
For my £28k van it was around £ 40k for 12 months ( renewable) for where I wanted to go........ never went as way over the top.

vwalan

when i had a carnet i put money in the rac and just paid about 75 quid a year. when i got back to uk phoned rac sent the carnet back and got my cash back.
egypt at the time was ten times the value of your vehicle as entry . but i told rac i wasnt going there . we had to leave 3 times the value of the camper. or you could let them have the deeds to your house. i drecided just to leave them cash. wasnt expensive as long as you dont leave the camper over anywhere abroad.
think uk is cheap for carnets .

Dunroamin

Crap!!!! Chris has just said one and a half times the value of the vehicle That would put us at 15,000 Euros instead of 2,500 with the ADAC and German reg.We even pay 2,500 for each bike which is more than they are individualy worth.Sometimes you are wrong,but always Britain is cheaper Ha Ha.Throw away your 10 year out of date paper maps and go digital,you know it makes sense!!!!!!!!

vwalan

yes you leave cash with them how much depends on your vehicle and where your going . at the time i left three times the value of my truck but was only charged 75 quid a year. on return i got my cash back.
as for paper maps i have new ones . get them every couple of years . still have the 1974 one though from when i was on my m,bike. dont know what i did with the 1971 version that i bought when doing my first spanish motor bike ride.
do know that food is definately getting dear in spain. mind havnt spent a tenner yet on food here.
liquid a bit more . hee hee.

vwalan

actally looking on google it seems the RAC have stopped doing carnet de passage .https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/carnet-de-passage-en-douanes/
so thats more interest for all.
i did do as i said . it hurt leaving the rac with the amounts required to cover any import taxes . but once you had left the money with them it was cheap. .never bothered with the insurance side thats expensive . mind i never got interest on the money while they had it . they got the interest.

chrisjones18

Yeh I have said the RAC have stopped carnets. They did it when I was trying to take a motor to Australia. There was none available until the government nominated a new firm. By the time this happened I had given up... we hired for jan Feb March this year instead.
Shipping was by seabridge ..price the same to any australia port from Southampton.

Started to look at a small 4x4 101 or along them lines. To start again in the future.. Sally has seen a new prototype Fiat 4x4 lhd only. I loved it but no price a year ago. even talked to a lady from Fiat Italy. Designed for a motorhome conversion and offered to main builders first.
Anyone know more?
Pipe dreams I think but hopeful ones.

vwalan

missed that bit i read it as rac were the only ones . were as in are ....
i,m getting old . ha ha .
cant help on the new fiats , but there was alot of older ones around . used to see loads in morocco. .
hard to say really is it worth shipping to aus or better to drive . well most of the way. might have to swim the last bit .

chrisjones18

missed that bit i read it as rac were the only ones . were as in are ....
i,m getting old . ha ha .
cant help on the new fiats , but there was alot of older ones around . used to see loads in morocco. .
hard to say really is it worth shipping to aus or better to drive . well most of the way. might have to swim the last bit .
Swim...haha..I can't. Well about 50 mtrs then sink..
The new 4x4 was a genuine 4x4 I loved it but they wouldn't sell it. It was a promotional vehicle.
They reckoned it could be lakia or ci who get first offers because they are Italian.
Not see anything since.

vwalan

why not do your own?
i know you have been thinking about it.
mind its hard to say whats the best one to start with these days .
i do keep looking at some of the jap imports with toyota hi ace 4x4 conversions .
then i think i like what i have really.
do think of going to a noarrow vehicle again like a vw t2 or the hi ace then think again.
in summer i like riding the cornish country lanes on my m,bike . most of todays vehicles would get scratched going down alot of where i like going . the old vw,s were great nice and narrow.
mind then i sometimes think of the Citroen little campers . know a few with them they seem ok for the size.
but gotta be bought cheap! cant go spending alot on a vehicle. hee hee

Ok, so going further that main Europe is expensive and has problems. Got it. Although after a couple of years full timing and making sure we could survive, we would probably give it a go, especially America. Thanks for the info on the groups etc...

Eating cheap is easy, no sweetie wheaties here. I like to eat healthy and the mrs is a bit of an animal lover, she only eats pies from a farm shop. So pasta, rice, vegetables, fish etc... Has become the norm and is no problem, cheap and actually better for you than most shit people are eating. Rice is rice, pasta is pasta, 20p or £2.00 a pack, same shit, I just prefer not to be shafted in the rear end by uncle Ben.

We have a choice, wait 38 years for our pension, then sell my flat. Or do another 2 years of saving and generate an income of 6k a year through my flat and a BTL. I'm 100% with the 6k a year option so far. I own my flat outright, so plan B would be to move back in to my flat. I see no issues, apart from having a big gap in my CV if I came back.

coolasluck

Just be careful about renting!
Some think it's great but I know far too many people who have had big problems! For us it was too much of a risk. No point living the dream whilst at the same time worrying that Tenant's are paying their rent or wondering if they will do a moon light flit before leaving thousands of pounds of damage on their way out the door.Just not worth the aggro.

Absolutely, but if you are smart you will have landlord contents/buildings and guaranteed rent insurance + Local managing agents with 24hr maintenance etc. It has to be ran as a business and protected like one.

This is why my rental income is low for the flat, due to the costs, but well worth it imo.