How much money do I need?

nayf1987

Hi all, just joined the site, hope you are all living the dream!

I've just turned 30, i'm bored of life, being a slave and crap weather.

Anyway, I want to rent out my flat, buy a MH and travel the world. Me, the mrs and tiny dog. The question is, how much money will we need to survive? We will Wild camp for 2-3 nights, then do a night at a site to fill up tanks, charge batteries etc... then repeat. No plans for how long, or where exactly, just start by doing the whole coast of the UK, then across the channel and the coast of Europe.

We will be on an income of £250-£300 a month, we are not expecting luxury, just enough to pay 2 phone bills, fuel, site fees 2-3 times a week, eat, drink and probably drink a bit more. I love the idea of seeing every sight there is to see, parking on the coast and having a beer with a sea view in every town possible. I intend to strap 2 bikes to the back for when we want to explore the innards of a city.

Would it be possible on these funds or are we going to have to put it off for a few more years? Has anyone or is anyone doing this on this sort of income?

All replies are appreciated!

BigMomma

Have you done any other research ? There are lots of Motorhome Aires throughout Europe, some offer just basic parking, other's offer services like a Fresh Water Point, Grey Drain dump and Chemical Toilet Emptying Point, right up to the 'full services' which also include WiFi, Showers, Toilets and Laundry facilities (www.vicariousbooks.co.uk), will save you a fortune rather than paying Campsite fees :thumb:

Is your £3,600 annual budget purely personal expenditure or will this have to cover vehicle Insurance, road tax, service & MOT, ferry/tunnel Costs, fuel, LPG, Laundry, Groceries etc. If it has to cover the above then sorry to shatter your dreams but this is nowhere near enough in my humble opinion.

nayf1987

Thanks for the reply, I’ve been researching for a while. Seems to go from one scale to another, people spending thousands to people spending next to nothing.

The money would just be covering day to day running costs of the MH and us, I would have all insurance and tax paid before as the plan is to travel for 11 months max, then come back and decide whether to go again.

So fuel, other runnings costs, food and watering the 2 of us. Plus we are super scrimpers when we want to be, I’ve got no problem eating beans on toast and drinking 2 Euro bottles of wine. We are not interested in luxury, we just want to see all corners of the world.

My concern is that I haven’t thought of something, Is there anything I’m missing? A cost I haven’t accounted for? As a rough guide I’m thinking £100 fuel a month, £100 food/drink, £100 for the 8-10 nights on sites. I will have an emergency fund for anything else that pops up, breaking down etc...

We even have a portable washing machine/dryer.

If I’m correct, I think it’s doable, but it will be tight. Very tight!

BigMomma

I think you need to provide a lot more information before 'we' can provide you with any realistic or practical advice. What sort of vehicle are you looking at buying ? Is your monthly income reliant on the rental income from your flat ? Why do you want to use Campsites as these are not cheap and I would suspect that you would be hard pushed to find many at £10 per night, especially in the Summer months.

It is possible to live relatively cheaply in a Motorhome in Europe, but £25 a week on food and drink and 11 months of Beans on toast ? I am guessing that you are planning on using gas to use for cooking, heating and hot water, whilst it is not expensive, you do realise that Calor Gas is not readily available outside of the UK so you will need to think about refillable bottles.

I certainly would not want to piss on anyone's bonfire, but I personally think that your budget of £250-£300 a month is just a little too tight !! But it depends on how resourceful you are and of course with everything else paid for, Insurance, Road Tax, Pet Passport, Vet Fee's (required tests to bring dog back), Ferry Costs, then a one off trip may be doable. It will be interesting to read any other responses you get from forum members.

nayf1987

Hiya,

We are looking at a mid 90’s hymer as these seem to be mentioned everywhere and are either great! Or hymer has paid a lot of people to advertise
Yes the income is from the rented flat and we don’t want to use campsites, I thought this was the norm to be able to recharge batteries and fill up/empty tanks etc...

This is the kind of info I’m looking for, if we cannot get gas, cannot pay £10 to stop over somewhere and top up in Europe, what do people do? I know I can get the refillable bottles from a few retailers here.

If it’s not possible then I will just have to put it off for another year or 2. As long as I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I can fill a cupboard and fridge for £25! Pasta, rice, beans, sausages, tinned gooods, potatoes, eggs, bread!

BigMomma

If not already fitted on the Motorhome you purchase, then you need to fit an additional leisure battery and Solar Panels :thumb: The combination of driving and energy generated through the panels can negate you needing to use Electric Hook Ups to recharge your batteries, however, whilst this is great in Summer, you will struggle to generate very much power during extended cloudy or rainy days.

For UK I would suggest you join one (or both) of the two main Caravan Clubs ( Caravan & Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club) that means that you could use the vast network of Certified Locations (small 5 van sites) which can be as little as £5 per night, although they don't all offer/provide facilities but most will provide water.

Invest in refillable gas bottles, LPG is widely available in Europe.

Spend time trawling through the older posts on here, the information you want/need will be here :thumb:

snail

Hi as already stated I think you are going to struggle with your budget, we long term between 4 and 6 month trips, we use gaslow refillable bottles, and refill from an lpg pump in garages, all over europe, it's around 60 to 70 pence a litre, each bottle holds 20 litres 11kg, we eat in van 90% of the time and use around a litre a day when using gas for everything, no hook up, if you need heating as well it will make quite a difference, 2.8 fiat/hymer a class we count on 25 mpg, and I drive slow.

We have just downloaded the camper contact app to our android tablet, this will give you an insight into camper stops all over europe, you can get a trial 7 day version for free, or £6.45 for full version for the year, it will give you an idea of costs and free places, worth having a look before you spend out on guide books, the app also downloads off line mapping so you can use it off line

Snail

vwalan

2eur
Thanks for the reply, I’ve been researching for a while. Seems to go from one scale to another, people spending thousands to people spending next to nothing.

The money would just be covering day to day running costs of the MH and us, I would have all insurance and tax paid before as the plan is to travel for 11 months max, then come back and decide whether to go again.

So fuel, other runnings costs, food and watering the 2 of us. Plus we are super scrimpers when we want to be, I’ve got no problem eating beans on toast and drinking 2 Euro bottles of wine. We are not interested in luxury, we just want to see all corners of the world.

My concern is that I haven’t thought of something, Is there anything I’m missing? A cost I haven’t accounted for? As a rough guide I’m thinking £100 fuel a month, £100 food/drink, £100 for the 8-10 nights on sites. I will have an emergency fund for anything else that pops up, breaking down etc...

We even have a portable washing machine/dryer.

If I’m correct, I think it’s doable, but it will be tight. Very tight!
2 euro wine ?89cents a litre in the supermarkets . thats almost a bottle and a half.
ideally take sardines ,pasta ,rice , bacon ,specially bacon joints ,corned beef . tinned veg ,porridge oats ,
mind mortadella is cheap ,its like a spicy spam. fresh veg quality can be poor as they sell the best to northern europe. bread is expensive , no 40p sliced loafs in lidl. 95 cents is about cheapest . nice though.
dont eat out ,dont use bars , much cheaper to drink and cook in the van.
dont use campsites or laundries . i use a plastic twintub .
yes lots solar ,batteries and an inverter well worth having .
do use a mangle and a posser if need be . big builders buckets are handy.
ferry fuel food etc for 6 months can be as little as 1800 quid for one person . can be alot more but i,m mean. was only 1500 quid some years . depends on the pound .
have a good one . dont spend a penny if you dont have to.
i take about 200 quids worth of dried tinned food when i go away. from uk .
better spent here than over in them foreign countries . hee hee.

vwalan

in many countries like spain bottled gas is cheaper than autogas.
should you get to morocco auto gas is almost impossible . but a maroc bottle exchange is about 4 quid .
if in spain and portugal repsol will exchange spanish or portugese bottles . i use cepsa in spain as the bottle was free when the first stainless ones came out .
but decide what food you like and let us know . can possibly tell you where or which shops are cheapest.
can say france and northern europe is getting a bit expensive .
think really staying in uk is cheaper than going away.
the weather isnt always better either depends where you live .
have heard a rumour that them gas low bottle arent as good as they should be , let folk down sometimes .
i only spend about 16 quid a week on food in uk and thats more than i eat as i stockup with tins etc ready for going away. probably only spend 12 quid in uk really.
was brought up to never spend a penny unless you could save a pound .

vwalan

oh by the way buy a truck and convert that much better than buying a m,home . can fit proper cooking facilities then . and have payload so you can carry cheap food from uk there . and cheap beer and wine back . hee hee

nayf1987

The MH i'm looking at all have solar panels and have been lived in, so this takes away the need to use camp sites (Unless its crap weather) good! Plus we have a portable washer/Dryer that does a small load in 5 minutes.

And you use garages to fill up water, outside water taps? Whats the general reaction from people when a pasty English man turns up for some water ? I suppose as long as your filling up with diesel its not a problem?

It always surprises me how much people spend on food, I do a monthly £40 asda shop, fill up the cupboard/freezer with some smart price bargains and i'm sorted. bit of milk and bread every few days. I'm even considering not using the fridge to save on gas, UHT milk is alright, surely I can get that all over Europe?

VWALAN you're £1800 for 6 months is £300 a month and that's including ferry! I like your style

Me and the mrs went to tenerife a couple of months ago because it was £28 for flights and we had a week off work, with a back pack each, we spent next to nothing, stayed in a hostel, met some great people, found some great natural pools and drank a lot of 30 cent beers. We love it. I'm just worried there is something i haven't considered

BigMomma

The best thing you can do is get your Motorhome and give it a go :thumb: UK, compared to Europe is not the most Motorhome friendly country to be touring in on a budget, great if you can afford to use campsites though, although CL's can be good value. Many Aires in France are 'Free' so this makes Touring very economical. People do things very differently so there are no hard and fast rules on how to do it, you just find the way that suits your needs and lifestyle :thumb:

sundowners

You plan to do the whole coast of UK???? That will take care of your first 11months!!!!!
I think you will find europe travel cheaper as you can spend the whole time going between free Aires -------- but these are NOT free campsites----- no camping paraphernalia is supposed to be used ie awnings, tables etc etc. Of course many don't observe these rules, also there is officially a time limit on staying on Aires usually two nights or so, again many ignore this, my point is that it is not like a holiday site!!
There are many 'aires' where you pay so you have to choose carefully to obtain free overnight and water.
Around the French coast and in popular tourist places most you have to pay for!!
As the others said, invest in solar and gas tank or refillable cylinders, they will repay you well!!
We find wildcamping is much more accepted in europe, but is becoming uncomfortable around popular coast areas!!.

Dunroamin

Bit more than uncomfortable on the Costas and Algarve.When in Ricote this year it was ok till the flood of vans fleeing the weather farther South arrived then all the jostling for pole position,the gennies etc.Cold here at Valencia de Don Juan but peaceful and only seen a few Spanish vans in 3 weeks.Pity all the museums are closed for winter tho.Moving on to Zamora tomorrow,laundrette and on to Portugal.

vwalan

The MH i'm looking at all have solar panels and have been lived in, so this takes away the need to use camp sites (Unless its crap weather) good! Plus we have a portable washer/Dryer that does a small load in 5 minutes.

And you use garages to fill up water, outside water taps? Whats the general reaction from people when a pasty English man turns up for some water ? I suppose as long as your filling up with diesel its not a problem?

It always surprises me how much people spend on food, I do a monthly £40 asda shop, fill up the cupboard/freezer with some smart price bargains and i'm sorted. bit of milk and bread every few days. I'm even considering not using the fridge to save on gas, UHT milk is alright, surely I can get that all over Europe?

VWALAN you're £1800 for 6 months is £300 a month and that's including ferry! I like your style

Me and the mrs went to tenerife a couple of months ago because it was £28 for flights and we had a week off work, with a back pack each, we spent next to nothing, stayed in a hostel, met some great people, found some great natural pools and drank a lot of 30 cent beers. We love it. I'm just worried there is something i haven't considered
there is taps and fonts all over the place even in uk . i usually in spain fill up at torrelavaga its cheap there at ruyco petrol . then almazan . another place neart sagunt . or other truck stop places if possible . never buy water . very rarely fill at garages . even in uk there are taps around if you look enough. or drinking fountains .
did use a campsite in 2009 in spain only one night . havnt used one since . never use them in uk they are full of campsite dwellers that think different to me . i do tend to use coffee compliment instead of milk . but if opening a milk then its cearel for breaky till its gone . uht in spain or france etc easy. i like the spanish lidl bread but it is dearer than uk. not alot but dearer. 95cents thats about 86p for what you pay 40p in uk for , cheap sliced loaf. its not life threatening but i will say spanish sliced bread does keep well , in winter anyway.
i treat it as a game these days i do actually save all the recipts for what i spend and keep a sort of acounts book. keeps the mind working . i used to work in the supermarket game so walking in shops and noting prices is habit . might never ever buy some things but habit means i note prices . .mind i live in uk for less than 100quid a week. inc house , vehicle and m,bikes to keep. actually bought diesel in uk this winter normally have enough to get back to spain. its a game . good shopping and you save a few shillings .

Pinball Wizard

Well I think it’s possible on your budget.
I too have seen silly budgets quoted, of £2000 a month, by some.
My friend shop’s in supermarkets late at night, in the reduced aisle at 9p a item, and he will eat anything. He does have a freezer though.
Fish pie can be made by him for a pittance and last nearly a week.
Or a chicken pasta bake.
Porridge and bananas with sultanas for breakfast etc.
Basic cooking.
Not doing long distance’s in any one week is key. Fuel costs money, when you have no money, stay still.
Travelled round New Zealand like this on a tight budget.
Lots of advice can be found in past post’s
Good luck

nayf1987

Thanks again for the replies and advice.

VWALAN I work in retail, which is probably the main reason I want to leave.

After much thought we are going to put the MH money into another flat and save up again over the next year or 2. If all goes to plan it will give us around £500 a month to live on, then we can use the fridge and afford that 86p bread!

Out of interest, what do you do when travelling around Europe? I'm trying to come up with a list, I've got landmarks/ruins/Museums, famous peoples houses, beaches. Has anyone gone over russia? How far can you go in a MH? India, China, Thailand?

vwalan

used to go surfing . but these days its just have an adventure.
visit all sorts of places , look around industrial estates , visit factories . keep off main roads visit as many villages as you can , they all have a story to tell.
having a little dax m,bike means you can visit all the little streets etc and get a good look around .
have helped in garages for a few days with friends of friends . in morocco i helped in a butchers for awhile . just for fun and meeting folk. no pay just fun. india is common , so is china these days lots go there. africa again quite common. also america lots go there and south america .
google sea bridge . loads use that one ,all ages its amazing.

Pinball Wizard

Out of interest, what do you do when travelling around Europe? I'm trying to come up with a list, I've got landmarks/ruins/Museums, famous peoples houses, beaches. Has anyone gone over russia? How far can you go in a MH? India, China, Thailand?[/QUOTE]

I don’t normally recommend FB groups on here, however
The Silk Route Network on FB
Is worth looking at, for this question.

Also the Forum HUBB
Horizon’s Unlimited Bulletin Board

Last edited:

Adverts