Hola from La Costa Brava

Discussion in 'Fulltimer Chat' started by Fatima Saysell, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Fatima Saysell

Fatima Saysell Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    Hope you are all well. We crossed into Spain on Monday morning (no passport checks and came straight through without any delays) and found this superb motorhome aire at Bellcaire D'Empordá called Massis del Montgrí, only 6 Km away from the beach at L'Escala. For those of you who don't mind paying a little for your stay, you can have a small pitch without electric for only €10, a larger one with EHU for €14 or a double one for €16 a day. The price includes your access to the swimming pool and there are also showers for €1, as well as toilets (free), washing up sinks, washing machine (€4) and drier (€5), a very comfortable WiFi room with air conditioning and lots of local info, including other aires in Catalunia (Ruta Catalana in motorhome), a microwave, toaster and books to borrow. And no, it isn't a campsite, it is just for motorhomes. We highly recommend it if you are in the area. We were going to stay only 2 days, but loved it so much we have extended it to 4 and maybe more. Happy days!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

chrisjones18, snail and BigMomma like this.
  2. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

hi, some nice places along that coast, used to be 1970,s package tour region . but still nice i hope .
    often thought might bdo a drive down that coast one year . but in november etc it can be a bit chilly.
    have a good one .
    used to like calella ,bit further down . spent a summer once in sant pol de mar a boss i had was building a place there and i went as a labourer. was very hot in 1975 .
    used to be a quite pleasant run on the coastal railway to barcelona .made a day out etc .

Fatima Saysell likes this.
  3. Fatima Saysell

It is still very nice and not too overcrowded now. We took the bus from aire to L'Escala this morning only (€1.70) and spent the day there. I worked in Palamós as a waitress during the summer of 1984 and loved it, then came back to Calella de Palagrugel with Peter, our baby son and in-laws and it was very charming. Palamós is our next stop on Monday as we have decided to stay here for the weekend.

4. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

hi. i meant even further down past tossa de mar and lloret de mar over the river and past malgat de mar.
    but i know the area your on about .
    always thought my mum and dad were going to buy near the calella i meant .
    that area of spain doesnt seem to be as popular for uk tourists these days most go way down .
    as kids we often spent a few weeks around there . still prefer the quieter spain . the locals are usually great as well. have a good time . there,s no hurry . its much more fun just drifting slowly than rushing about .

5. Fatima Saysell

We are definitely NOT rushing. After Palamós, we intend to spend a whole month at Lake Caspe, Zaragoza. Then Valencia, Alicante and all the way to southern Spain and Portugal for winter. >:)>:)>:)

chrisjones18 and BigMomma like this.
  6. alf&m

alf&m Active Member

Looks and sounds good enjoy your travels and Winter!

7. Fatima Saysell

Thank you. Brilliant so far.

alf&m likes this.
  8. AlaskaGuy

AlaskaGuy Active Member

Looks like we're planning our first Portugal visit this December. Leaving from Limoges area, how long would it take us to get to Porto? 2 -3 days? Avoiding expensive toll roads if possible, don't mind the shorter stretches or cheaper ones.

9. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

could take the rest of your life. down through andorra then slowly follow the coast .
    or in at irun and follow the north coast .
    little roads only always try to be on the closest road to the sea .
    mind you could cross in land and zig zag from high point to high point . or lake to lake etc .
    best not use toll roads , motorways and avoid dual carriageways .
    vist as many villages as you can , smile say holla . wave and have fun.
    go slow and enjoy life . we do.

10. Fatima Saysell

Hi, Guy. That sounds nice. I really don't know how long it would take as we haven't gone there yet. We are leaving southern Portugal for the winter months. We tend to drive between 2 and 3 hours only in the morning when we are moving between places. We had a great week in Peñíscola, one in Gandía, then Alicante and just left Valencia. Moving north again to do some fishing before the cold weather arrivestation, then back south again. Safe travels and enjoy!

11. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

hope you followed the sea.
    how did you go so far there are loads of places to stop along that route could take three months .
    bet you really wanted to spend all winter in benidorm . not, hee hee

12. Fatima Saysell

HaHaHa. Yes, we went to Benidorm just to see what it was really like for ourselves and we're dismayed at what we saw. Absolutely hideous! We didn't last 2 hours in town and left campsite early the next day. Our neighbour opposite even had a shed and an electric saw mounted on a desk, cutting wood or something by 9am and in the evening. Outrageous! Lots of settlers there.

Found wonderful free aire opposite beach at Grao de Castellón, but only allowed 48 hours. Daimús near Gandía, El Campello north of Alicante and El Saler in Valencia were all fantastic Aires and campsites, cheap with ACSI. Back to France today for some fishing.

13. Dunroamin

Dunroamin Well-Known Member

Heading West from Heikes mum today.Hoping to have agolden October thru France
    and get some canoeing and fishing in. Will stop at Lac Du Salagou for awhile then on thru Northern Spain to Portugal.No hurry just potter along.Found brill site for canoe tours "wikiloc" lots of easy tours worlwide and for a small sum you can download them all to your stupid phone or tablet.Can even open them on PC with "gpx viewer". In our "camping caravan "book for France you can easily find rural,cheap campsites with fishing.

14. Fatima Saysell

Yes, that's why we are here. We went all the way to Caspe near Zaragoza hoping to spend at least 2 weeks there, but lake was very low due to lack of rain, so we went to campsite at Riba-Roja, a dump, but at least Peter could fish and scenery was beautiful and weather hot. Heading for Le Lot. Just entered France. Traffic very slow by Le Boulou.

15. Dunroamin

Had to wait today for post,arived at 4,30 so decided to leave tomorrow. My book of French lakes and etangs arrived,printed 1972 ,no updates since but lists every lake and etang in France,whether or not it is private or public,type of fish etc etc.Ok dated but listed by province,so if you know where you are you can check it out.

16. Fatima Saysell

Sounds very interesting. We know of a few lakes where we can go for carp fishing. Right now we are at a wonderful olive farm part of France Passion scheme. Great facilities and interesting and unusual products to buy, but not obligatory. Heading to Toulouse tomorrow for free aire.

17. vwalan

vwalan Well-Known Member

18. Dunroamin

I have 12 lakes in the Lot area 8 public 4 private.Having had a look thru the book for a legend for the acronyms used I discovered that the first 20 pages are missing !!!!!!

19. Fatima Saysell

HaHaHa! Oh dear! Hope the rest is good and that you didn't pay a lot for it.

20. Fatima Saysell