Hi Everyone

My partner and I have decided that we've had enough of the rat race, and we've bought ourselves a 1991 Ducato motorhome and we're headed for Europe.
The decision was made January this year, but due to various things that I won't bore you with, we are still here, lodging with the parents while we finish things up.
We have a very loose plan to head to Dover, cross the channel and head on South visiting places as the fancy takes us.
We are hoping to end up in Greece and stay there for an indefinite period, if not permanently.
The van (Brian) has all the usual malarky; gas, electric, shower, cassette toilet, bed etc., but I have also fitted a solar panel, inverter and WiFi.
We want to be able to see the odd football and rugby match online while we are on our travels (has anyone any suggestions on the best, cheapest way to achieve this?), but we are just going to be happy to be away from our old lives.
Any advice you full timers can give will be gratefully received :)
Cheers, Tim and Raychel.

BigMomma

Welcome to the forum :thumb: You will get plenty of Advice, guidance and opinion from members of this forum, just take away from it what 'you' need. Have you given any thought to the impact of your European travels with the uncertainty around Brexit ?

coolasluck

Welcome to the site.Greece would be our country of choice too.
Go slowly and don't rush there's loads of things to see out there

coolasluck

Brexit is a good point.!!
Let's hope it gets overturned and we stay in.

chrisjones18

Hi and welcome :thumb:
Great choice, though we have only ever been there on holiday... enjoy the journey

chrisjones18

Brexit is a good point.!!
Let's hope it gets overturned and we stay in.
Any idea how we would fair with our daughter's address in Spain.
Or is this a question Eric might know the answer to

coolasluck

I'm sure Eric with the use of his keyboard ,rather than me with my phone ,will be much more be able to write a long rambling blog type of post about Brexit.The key will be if your still awake before getting your answer:lipssealed:

coolasluck

I would say your as screwed as the rest of us.When are you visiting gib again Chris. Going all the way round this year

BigMomma

I'm sure Eric with the use of his keyboard ,rather than me with my phone ,will be much more be able to write a long rambling blog type of post about Brexit.The key will be if your still awake before getting your answer:lipssealed:
No big long rambling blog Kevin, I have no more insight into the outcome of Brexit as anyone else. From a purely personal opinion, based on what I have seen on TV news and read in the media there are a number of options as I see it:

1. We remain in the EU and things will remain as they are now ?
2. We come out of the EU, with the deal agreed, then we will have unrestricted movement, as we do now, until the end of the transition period December 2020 ?
3. We come out of the EU, without a deal, which means that we are a non-EU member Wef 29 Mar 2019 and the travel restrictions become effective from that date ?

But nothing is certain at this stage, with talks of the EU willing to extend the date that Article 50 comes into force, so beyond 29th March 2019 ?

We just have to wait now until Tuesday 11th December to see how the vote pans out.

BigMomma

Chris, I do not know the answers I just have to watch and listen to what is going on, like everyone else, so any views I have are purely just my own opinions. Gibraltar, is part of the UK, so unless the Govt of Gibraltar and the Spanish come to a separate agreement over crossing the frontier, then I would guess that the same travel arrangements will apply. However, as you know, there are many more Spanish that work and run businesses on Gibraltar than British or Gibraltarians, so I believe that there will be some sort of Political arrangement agreed, but............... ?

coolasluck

......and also Monday the 10th when we find out if Brexit can can just simply be reversed. Could it be that some day CV soon Brexit may all seem to have been a bad dream. I do see the vote going back to the people,as it should, may has not given the brexiteers what they want.We should either be all in or out instead Theresa may wants us to be half in.Interesting few weeks ahead.

BigMomma

The only outcome that would be good for fulltimers or long termers would be to remain in the EU, agreeing the deal or crashing out with no deal, neither of those options provide a good outcome for those who wish to spend extended periods travelling within the EU (longer than 90 consecutive days). Funny old thing though, there are quite a lot of long termers here in Spain that I have talked to (Caravanners and Motorhomers) who actually voted to 'Leave' !!! they voted purely on the Immigration issues but didn't think it would impact on their own freedom of movement :tmi:

coolasluck

Immigration!! It's a bit after the horses bolted I think. Lol . I think a lot of people including me didn't vote during the referendum because they didn't think leave would win. In my defense though we weren't on the electoral role but on a new vote like me I think there would be a huge swing to stay in.

BigMomma

We were not on the Electoral role either as we had no permanent address. However as long as you had been on an electoral role within the previous five years you could apply to the local council in the town where you were to get a temporary status, which is what we did, specifically for that Referendum vote. Too many people, like David Cameron, thought it was a done deal, so they didn't go and cast a vote or even nominate a proxy to vote for them but now they bitch about the result and want a second one !!!!

However, this thread is now heading away from the original post, can anyone who is fulltiming at the moment provide some advice to Tim and Raychel about Means of watching sport whilst on the road ? We used to use a satellite dome and Free To Air receiver, but not sure what has happened since Astra changed satellites, believe that a bigger dish was required ?

Last edited:

sundowners

We are not really bothered about TV or sport but I would think that as internet has progressed that would be the way to go, from what we see Britain has the worst system in Europe, we spend quite a bit of time in Portugal and their phone/internet is FAR better than what we have in UK. I know you can buy a box to get TV from internet but know nothing about it-------- if you go onto motorhome fun you will get that information!!!!

chrisjones18

I would say your as screwed as the rest of us.When are you visiting gib again Chris. Going all the way round this year
we are flying into Gib this sunday 9th and staying in La Linea with our daughter for a week. still waiting in the uk about finalising planning
text me your number as sim card has changed as phone broke 07484103 222

chrisjones18

to watch uk tv you either need a huge dish or internet on catch up...the bbc might be hit or miss. [southern spain]
there is a box you can buy in Spain that uses internet, i can find out the name next week if you like.. no idea on the data it uses though...thousands of channels and films. i think they are £150 to $200. daughter and son use it.. drops signal now and then which i find annoying as it starts back anywhere. works like kodi but its not kodi.

Thank you all for your replies and advice!
With regards to leaving the EU, Raychel has an Irish passport, so I may have to marry her (!) to carry on travelling. We are really looking forward yo getting away from this weather!

coolasluck

Funny really that when people had sky at home they would moan about how it was all crap.I bet them same people can't now do without a dish on their van.
I watch all my programs on a computer via hard disks. No commercial breaksand download EastEnders (yes I know) via an app along with some boxing then watch content from the phone on the computer.
There are apps out there where you can watch some live sport online which is great if you have a good connection. Unfortunately live paid for events aren't so easy anymore. But there is always the radio which I listened to the fury v wilder on last Saturday.