Hi All.

Julie bailey

Hi All,

Not a motor home owner yet, but hopefully close. We sold our flat and moved in with my parents to follow our dream of owning a small acreage of land. We are planning to use parents place as a base/address while we travel the country looking for the right plot of land. Then maybe continuing to full time in the new area, using the land as our new base. Anyone doing something similar? Any advice?

Julie x.

Steve Freeman

Welcome and good luck.
Land is hard to get in England, especially if you need planning permission to build on it (unless you make generous donations to G. Osborne's party and are a big building company :)).

Agricultural land or similar, no problem, but watch out - you may well not be allowed to put a MH on it especially for long periods as it may contravene planning or existing covenants. You may however get permission if you apply, just don't assume it.

Gary58

Hi Julie. Good look with you plans/new venture.
If you do find somewhere and Mhomes can park on there, pls let us know where................and you can have regular like minded visitors! Well, maybe in the summer months.

Julie bailey

Thanks for the replies. The planning permission issue is why we are looking into full timing. In the long term I'd be trying to get planning permission for a campsite.

chrisjones18

welcome:thumb:
be very careful when buying land, local councils have different views on green/brown belt usage.
we can use a motorhome/caravan as a bedroom in the garden but not in the adjoining field, even though there is no fence or boundary wall.

coolasluck

Welcome to the site:thumb:
We looked at the same idea however land in this country is not cheap and there is still regulations and rules to contend with.Its normally being grassed up to the authorities by those horrible mimsy types that will ruin it for you.I have heard of one chap who has been hiding in a secret mesernine in a barn on his own land and succesfully avoided being found out but i never did get to meet him as i would have liked to have picked his brains.From the outside and for appearances sake it looked like an empty barn.:)

BigMomma

Welcome to the forum :thumb: I remember, reading a book some years back about a couple looking to buy a house in France, but we're not sure which Region they wanted to live. They bought a Motorhome to enable them to tour around and so enjoyed the lifestyle that they 'fulltimed' in the Motorhome for the next 8 years !! :)

maddy

Hi and welcome. As others have said be careful when buying land, you are only allowed i think 24 days stay a year with your motorhome/caravan parked on it, but im sure you know what you are doing. Good luck.

Steve Freeman

Give up on land in England unless you are loaded or have friends in influential positions.
Rent houses out, live cheaply in Spain as long as you can.
Enjoy the van life!

aikidoamigo

28 day rule

Steve Freeman

It depends if you are in it or not. You can park it up (assuming bylaws & covenants aren't broken), but living in it is different.

chrisjones18

hpold said:
How far do you have to move it ? if it has wheels requires no planning permission I think .
In gloucestershire If it has a cooker or kitchen it needs planning permision (temporary or full) whether its on wheels or not,......been there lately.

wanderlust51

Rent your house to your kids or close friends,build granny flat discreetly in garden and live of grid 6 months in uk 6 months away

hpold

In gloucestershire If it has a cooker or kitchen it needs planning permision (temporary or full) whether its on wheels or not,......been there lately.
Is that a fixed cooker or movable one ;)

Adverts