Hello Peeps

Rob Hall

I haven't been on for a year or two, so I probably have a lot of catching up to do. I see that VWAL is still here...hello Al, hope you are keeping well. I have a friend called Steve who is seriously thinking about full timing and has some questions that I know some of you can help him with. He will be joining the site soon (if not already). Me and the Mrs keep on about another motorhome, so, we could be back sometime in the not too distant future.

vwalan

hello. good to hear your ok.
go on get a camper and have lots of fun.
you know you miss having one.

Rob Hall

hello. good to hear your ok.
go on get a camper and have lots of fun.
you know you miss having one.
Hi Al
You are right, we do miss the life on the road. It will happen again, I am sure, especially now that a good friend of ours is doing the same. Al, do you know much about non-articulated trailers? Steve (the latest member to join here) is interested, but I don't know anything about them.

vwalan

well the main point is you can be restricted by the hitch. ball hitches are 3,500kg max . some even less . plus if its a living van over 3,500kg then mot might be required. a
there are some nice trailers out there though . passed one in a drive only the other day and thought it would make a nice living van.
also brakes need to be better for over 3,500kg normal trailer brakes are a no no.
best i say is have a look on ebay for a transport managers &operators handbook. by david lowe...
there are all the rules ,regs etc and more to be read.
like every thing tow vehicle etc all make things easy or hard . depends if its going to be a works vehicle as well as a caravan tow vehicle.
actually most fifth wheel caravan setups arent articulated in the eyes of construction and use. to be artic at least 20%of the laden trailer should be imposed on the tow vehicle.,, most dont.
need lots of info to be able to give more info. one question leads on to another.
have fun.
a book thats a few years old is ok, no need to spend a fortune. some rules will have changed but most stay the same. soon be new book time so old ones will be available .

Last edited:

chrisjones18

It might be worth looking at vosa as some mots changed this year (2018) to comply with eu regulations. ( can't remember the number) 2014/ ?
The change gives us (the uk) the rights to use our UK reg vehicles in the eu after brexit ( whatever the outcome)
Some classes have changed including a usa pickup needing a class 4 test.

Adverts