Guess where we are.(not for intellectuals)

vwalan

well its not tell em about the honey mummy.

mickarchie

Farmers Field ????? (mind you the Pooh would be everywhere and not just in the corner :D)
Staying at Crowborough C&C site. Quite good except the weather. Done the Poohsticks thing. Just filling in between hospital visits then June 1st on the ferry for three months touring.Love it.

Merle

Staying at Crowborough C&C site. Quite good except the weather. Done the Poohsticks thing. Just filling in between hospital visits then June 1st on the ferry for three months touring.Love it.
Where are you intending to go?

mickarchie

Where are you intending to go?
Vaguely France, Bad Waldsee, home of Hymer in Germany, and East side of Italy but we don't plan. Just get off the ferry find the first aire which will be middle of the night in Dunkirk then go.

Merle

Forgive me for asking, assuming you have right hand drive, does being a larger vehicle pose problems. I assume with aires it's turn up and if there's space then stop for the night.

vwalan

just turn up, first come gets first choice . some are open carpark type . mind they do cram in as its free .
some have a limit . some they just fill up. usually nobody guides anyone no official you help one another get as many in as you can. or have it all to your self on the quiet ones.
i lived on the old airre at roscoff for 3 months a few years ago.
there was also a french family lived there for years . became good friends john and yvette. they must have lived there for about 8 yrs.

Merle

just turn up, first come gets first choice . some are open carpark type . mind they do cram in as its free .
some have a limit . some they just fill up. usually nobody guides anyone no official you help one another get as many in as you can. or have it all to your self on the quiet ones.
i lived on the old airre at roscoff for 3 months a few years ago.
there was also a french family lived there for years . became good friends john and yvette. they must have lived there for about 8 yrs.
Strewth I imagined there would be a limit, 2 or 3 days max! By I've got a lot to learn:(

vwalan

some do . i had the postman bring my mail that was sent poste restonte .
john had is just like a house. thought i had one of his cards is address was airre de viviers . there was a fish crab shop right by the airre . (viviers ). if its quiet nobody cares . this time of the year some that have free electric you cant get on the french live in them for months . yet come august its like a sardine tin. . never had a problem with the artic though . not early and late summer only prime busy time. . have put a tent on some airres when on the m,bike . even the camp sites are chocka on the atlantic side.

vwalan

glad i,m not a m,homer .truckers cant read signs didnt you know. hee hee. mind a good truck stops ok in spain. young ladies visit ti see if theres any thing you require .
yes .fish n chips twice please.
better not take coola to the industrial est. in malaga he might be shy.
gotta have a look though . no touching . hee hee.
in winter they have bonfires of old pallets right outside the cop shop . you have to see it to believe it.

Forgive me for asking, assuming you have right hand drive, does being a larger vehicle pose problems. I assume with aires it's turn up and if there's space then stop for the night.
Left hand drive Hymer, no probs getting in even on quite small aires in villages at back of beyond which we like finding.Why not look at my website
http://www.MICKARCHIES.synthasite.com
and look at some places we visited under the heading Polly and Micks grand day out 2011. You are asked not to stay more than 3 days on aires, we don't because after a couple of days we've seen what we want and move on.If you want info on aires we find the best guide is this one, http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm it's in French and you can get a dvd disc that you carry with you so you don't have to go on line when in France. Although they say this is in English, that is just the introduction, but once you get the gist of what they are saying, it is quite understandable.

Merle

Left hand drive Hymer, no probs getting in even on quite small aires in villages at back of beyond which we like finding.Why not look at my website
http://www.MICKARCHIES.synthasite.com
and look at some places we visited under the heading Polly and Micks grand day out 2011. You are asked not to stay more than 3 days on aires, we don't because after a couple of days we've seen what we want and move on.If you want info on aires we find the best guide is this one, http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm it's in French and you can get a dvd disc that you carry with you so you don't have to go on line when in France. Although they say this is in English, that is just the introduction, but once you get the gist of what they are saying, it is quite understandable.
Thanks for that, I've had a quick skate through some of the pages....so much there it'll take some viewing. Frnch is a foreign language to me! I have a smattering of Spanish but you seem to imply you get by. We must get organised and try a couple of weeks for a start, it will be our 1st time abroad in the motorhome, so one great big learning curve:eek:

mickarchie

Thanks for that, I've had a quick skate through some of the pages....so much there it'll take some viewing. Frnch is a foreign language to me! I have a smattering of Spanish but you seem to imply you get by. We must get organised and try a couple of weeks for a start, it will be our 1st time abroad in the motorhome, so one great big learning curve:eek:
You will not regret it. Re:- the French, as long as you try to make them understand with a smattering of their langauge from a French dictionary, you'll be surprised how much English they speak.If you just burble on in English they wont know anything. May I recommend a trip. The Loire Valley and chateaus, especially Chateau Chambord a must see for anybody. Awesome.

coolasluck

The Loire is going to be one of our first destinations,gorgous,visited in my kit car one year when at the 24 hr race.

Merle

I'm useless at the geography so just Googled, yes looks like an excellent suggestion. I'm sure I've seen the area on one of the 'place in the sun' type progs on telly, if it was there it looked gorgeous. Well it has to be French phrasebook here we come. I love this forum, nice sensible reasoned answers, not bigotted clap trap like a certain other forum of so called 'experts':)

vwalan

hi. just saying bonjour is very often enough . smiling helps . the french are very pleasant once you try. but then most countries are.
france does get very addictive . its real easy way over there almost like nobody cares what you do.
great weekends for car ,m.bike enthusiasts etc . the hole town turns up from babu to grandma . all having a good time.
i also like the dordogne area .plus the west coast.

vwalan

i am known for smelling pistakes .
you should see my arabic . even i cant understand it.
once tried turkish but you can stuff that.
far nicer in maroc . inn shallah.

Adverts